Keeping bartlett's anthias?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi guys! I'm working my way through my stock list for my 180, and I was planning to add a trio of Bartlett's anthias. However, lately I've heard that anthias shouldn't be kept in groups bc they tend to fight??? This goes against everything I'd heard prior to this that says they usually school together just fine (which is the main reason I'm getting them). Also, are there any secrets/cautions I should know before getting them? I understand they need to be fed multiple times a day (so I invested in an autofeeder by Eheim to feed twice a day and will feed once a day with frozen).

I've done a fair bit of research on it, but since I've never actually kept anthias before, I thought I'd throw out this question and let you experts that have kept them give me the real info. Thanks!

Swine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard people suggest trios vs a pair because the dominant one will pick on two vs one fish. Bartletts are big jerks, maybe go for another trio. My lyretail trio (in 55ga 48" long) were peaceful until i added a single bimaculatus.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bartletts are the exception to grouping as they tend to turn male, and become aggressive, usually you end up w/ one, two if lucky.
Most any other anthias can and should be grouped, and I advise at least 2-3 females minimum to spread out the badgering the male will be doing.
Lyretails have been very easy for me, and after success w/ those it seems easier to add other types of anthias, they all tend to group, finicky species tend to eat easier after seeing lyretails eating and thriving.

ChristopherKriens

Unknown Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bartlett's are great kept as individuals but their "desire to be male" is stronger than most species. In a 180 you will likely end up with multiple males and the aggression that comes with it, but I've seen tanks that size with 2 or 3 males do just fine. I've kept close to a dozen species of anthias and they are by far the hardiest.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How bout square Anthias?

I'm looking for colorful...I don't find the lyretails or dispar varieties to be that colorful.

Last edited:

Bryon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have five bartlett's in my 180 (had six, but one jumped out). Four of the five have turned male. I've had them for over seven months and have never seen any aggression.

SteveM10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 7 Bartlett's in my 410. A couple of them are the same size (bigger than all the others) and they do go at it from time to time but everyone is doing fine. I have had them for almost a year now.

Gwitness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180 also with a lot of rock....I have 3 purple queens...4 Lyertail...3 Dispar and 3 Bartletts!!! Mine do great and very rarely fight...I think having a lot of spots for them to hide and take cover If needed is a benefit for having the Matthias....I love all of mine and would recommend them!!! Bartletts might be my favorite ones

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok...now I'm reconsidering keeping Bartlett's again. LOL

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok...now I'm reconsidering keeping Bartlett's again. LOL

Well, keep in mind the guy w/ 7 has them in a 400g tank, that will make a difference.
Also, while the females may be bright orange, the male will be a different color, mine being from fiji is bright purple.
Also, you are not limited to one species, I have a mix of lyre's, dispar, carberryi's.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, keep in mind the guy w/ 7 has them in a 400g tank, that will make a difference.
Also, while the females may be bright orange, the male will be a different color, mine being from fiji is bright purple.
Also, you are not limited to one species, I have a mix of lyre's, dispar, carberryi's.

Yeah I caught that about the size of the tank, but I'm thinking if he can keep 7, I can keep 3. The only other type I'd thought about was a square Anthias.

wlk213

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 Gal with 3 lyretail (1 male 2 female) a Bartlett and a sunburst and they all get along fine and they all school together

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was leaning towards a trio of bartletts myself but then i talked myself out of it bc i heard they do get rather agressive. I just put 3 lyretails in my 150 yesterday! I love em, 1 male and 2 female. I already want to add more Lol I've also heard they need to be fed frequently so we'll see how it goes. I'll let ya know if I come across any problems tho!

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was leaning towards a trio of bartletts myself but then i talked myself out of it bc i heard they do get rather agressive. I just put 3 lyretails in my 150 yesterday! I love em, 1 male and 2 female. I already want to add more Lol I've also heard they need to be fed frequently so we'll see how it goes. I'll let ya know if I come across any problems tho!

I use an eheim autofeeder, doses NLS pellets twice daily, makes it easy for the multiple daily feedings, then I feed some frozen at night.
Lyretails are pretty quick to accept pellets, often the finickier anthias will soon follow their lead.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 40 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.1%
Back