Keeping Basslets together

Arlen nemeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering adding a Black cap basslet to my 150gal. My only concern is that i already have a Royal Gramma. Does anyone have have any experience with these two co-existing??
Im not too sure but its a 150gal its pretty big for them to have separate territory, hope this helps

U

User1

View Badges
@ca1ore had a really great comment in one of his videos about tank size and fish. I am sure I'll mess up his quote but more or less it was along the lines of:

One would think 450 gallons is large enough for fish to have separate territories yet they always manage to find one another.

I believe it was about one of this tangs. Needless to say yes, 150 gallons sounds like a lot but his comment always comes back to me as a check box to think about when I add a new fish. They, the fish, do find one another no matter how big our glass box is. I see it with my Azure damsel and a yellow assessor in my 210 gallon tank. In your case I think the better question to ask is how mature is the tank, the corals, and of course natural food supply if they compete for the same food source.

My understanding of the fish, although only via reading and not owning one, is that they are a bit territorial and aggressive towards similar species. Beautiful fish. Deeper waters. Like lots of rock, nooks, crannies, and caves. I'm sure it will find one and call home to retreat to. Similar to royal gramma's.

Not sure if this helps but figured I'd throw it out there. Best of luck!

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs keeps both in their display, the royal was added first and the black cap after. They live practically beside each other and i never see any quarrels, it is a similair sized tank to yours. Though every fish is different, but i imagine you will be fine. I think i remember reading in the wild that they live together in somewhat close quarters, though i may be wrong, but that is very different to keeping then in a tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back