Keeping Chaeto Alive - Supplementation?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nutrition' started by dmw913, Sep 25, 2017.

1. dragonfish

dragonfish Well-Known Member

FOLLOWING

2. 4fishies

4fishies Member

I had problems for awhile until I started stretching out the cheato a bit once a week. Just enough so the water flow can get through better.

ThunderGoose and saltyfilmfolks like this.
  3. Fence13

Fence13 Over Thinker Extraordinaire R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor CIRS Member

I'm battling this similar issue with my attempt at a fuge. I switched out the first and second chamber in my trigger sump and I just bought a Kessil H80 light this week. Unfortunately all I have is a small clump of caulerpa and this one weird algae that is viney and looks like gummy worms when you pull it out. No clue what it was but the LFS had it mixed in with the rest of the macros.

I'm going to try and buy another seeding of chaeto to see if I can get it to take off with the rest of the macros and not melt away. I'm currently battling a small cyano issue and hair algae is growing in my refugium so I know I have nutrients....

Here's a pic of my current fuge setup.
    IMG_20171116_180553.jpg

4. 7hogwarts

7hogwarts Active Member R2R Supporter

Is there any flow in your system? It looks stagnant.

5. Fence13

Fence13 Over Thinker Extraordinaire R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor CIRS Member

There is flow, a mag 5 for the 93g cube so about 3 - 4x turnover if I remember correctly. But due to the way I changed around the chambers I'm the trigger sump there is nothing to break up the surface tension in the first section. Could that be part of my problem?

6. Fence13

Wondering if I should switch it back to the second chamber as it was designed

7. K. Steven

K. Steven Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

What is your head height for the Mag 5? If it's any considerable distance (>4 feet), you are likely getting less than 500 gph from it. For example, at 5 feet head height, a Mag 5 will push 325 gph.

8. Fence13

It's about 4ft, plus or minus a few inches. But that's still 3.5x turnover?

9. K. Steven

K. Steven Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Yes, but you will want more flow through your refugium. Do you have a pump in there or something providing more flow through it? I have a 90 gph pump in my refugium to help spin my macro. It tends to get slimy with only the return pump flow through it.

10. 40B Knasty

40B Knasty Valuable Member

I just started a cheato reactor as well. It has been amazing! Here is the thing. I had a large amount in there to drop the phosphates down to zero. Now that it is where I need it to be. I ripped 3/4 of it out to maintain a balance. The cheato stays alive, because there is a small amount of cheato. Now, every week I rinse it off with new saltwater and I make sure it does not have anymore than I need.

11. Chris Villalobos

Chris Villalobos Active Member

If your running other filters like a skimmer maybe you could turn it off? Or maybe you could add more livestock?

12. dmw913

dmw913 Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I ultimately added another fish and really upped my feeding. Seems like I’m finding a decent balance.

Bunnee911 and Chris Villalobos like this.
  13. Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley Reef Chemist Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Expert Contributor

That was not my experience. I found no statistical benefit to iodine supplementation to growing chaeto or caulerpa.

Chemistry And The Aquarium: Iodine In Reef Tanks 2: Effects On Macroalgae Growth ? Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog
    http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/april2003/chem.htm

Figure 2. The growth of Chaetomorpha sp. samples as a function of position across the test apparatus. figure2.gif

Iron, on the other hand, can make an immediate effect (visually, even) on macroalgae if it is deficient. The owner of a big reef board found his macroalgae greened up a lot after dosing iron for the first time.

Bunnee911, mcarroll and BigJohnny like this.
  14. BigJohnny

BigJohnny Valuable Member

Just reduce your refugium photoperiod or intensity to find a balance. You and your livestock are constantly adding nutrients to the system, so you can't use them all up. The supplements are to make the algae grow faster, not to keep it growing if it doesn't have enough nutrients coming in.

40B Knasty and dmw913 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted