Keeping coral angel fish and flame angel

dexter91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 75 gallon.... 48×15×21...
What are the chances if i keep both coral angel and flame angel together without ending up fighting each other....??!! I have heard they are miss or hit in case of reef tank... should i go for both or one of them....??!!

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a coral beauty and a flame amgel in the same 200 gal. tank.i can't remember a time when I didn't.the flame is always more aggressive in every instance.not to the point of killing it but always the jerk.even when adding them at different times or the same time.if I had 75 gallons I would pick just one.i like the flame angel better personally.

OP
OP
D

dexter91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a coral beauty and a flame amgel in the same 200 gal. tank.i can't remember a time when I didn't.the flame is always more aggressive in every instance.not to the point of killing it but always the jerk.even when adding them at different times or the same time.if I had 75 gallons I would pick just one.i like the flame angel better personally.
Owk, thanks... i will be going for flame angel..... :)

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Owk, thanks... i will be going for flame angel..... :)

Definitely one for the 75 gallon. Just IMHO, I would pass on the Flame and go with the Coral Beauty. The Flame is more likely to be a jerk to his tank mates, is more expensive to buy (not really spendy, but still about double the price of a coral beauty), and the Coral Beauty is generally a hardier fish (considered to be one of the most durable of any of the Dwarf Angel/Angels). I've had both in different tanks and my Flame was an absolute jerk to his non dwarf angel tank mates, my Coral Beauty on the other hand showed a little territorial aggression on the first day towards my Diamond Watchman Goby and has since calmed down and been a model citizen. He did nip take a couple of test nips at my frogspawn and hammer corals but didn't seem to like them much and is content grazing around my rocks, glass and overflow for algae (and he can have as much as he wants of that). My Flame Angel on the other hand took repeated nips at both corals. Obviously the coral nipping is an individual fish basis. I will say this though, that regardless of which you go with you can greatly increase your chances of not getting a coral nipper if the tank is well established with plenty of algae growing and you keep them well fed on seaweed/nori.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely one for the 75 gallon. Just IMHO, I would pass on the Flame and go with the Coral Beauty. The Flame is more likely to be a jerk to his tank mates, is more expensive to buy (not really spendy, but still about double the price of a coral beauty), and the Coral Beauty is generally a hardier fish (considered to be one of the most durable of any of the Dwarf Angel/Angels). I've had both in different tanks and my Flame was an absolute jerk to his non dwarf angel tank mates, my Coral Beauty on the other hand showed a little territorial aggression on the first day towards my Diamond Watchman Goby and has since calmed down and been a model citizen. He did nip take a couple of test nips at my frogspawn and hammer corals but didn't seem to like them much and is content grazing around my rocks, glass and overflow for algae (and he can have as much as he wants of that). My Flame Angel on the other hand took repeated nips at both corals. Obviously the coral nipping is an individual fish basis. I will say this though, that regardless of which you go with you can greatly increase your chances of not getting a coral nipper if the tank is well established with plenty of algae growing and you keep them well fed on seaweed/nori.
Dwarf angel personalities can vary greatly from fish to fish. So while one person may have a peaceful specimen, another may have an aggressive one.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dwarf angel personalities can vary greatly from fish to fish. So while one person may have a peaceful specimen, another may have an aggressive one.

True, although statistically speaking, you are more likely to have aggression problems with a Flame Angel than a Coral Beauty. That isn't to say there aren't some mean Coral Beauty Dwarf Angels out there, I have just seen more Flames removed for aggression than Coral Beauties (my experience included).

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you finding these statistics? I've found them both to be pretty comparable. The Centropyge that have been marginally more aggressive have been cherubs and flamebacks. Beyond those it just depends on the individual.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you finding these statistics? I've found them both to be pretty comparable. The Centropyge that have been marginally more aggressive have been cherubs and flamebacks. Beyond those it just depends on the individual.

From conversing with others at my LFS, talking with others on various forums like this one and other store owners (in terms of which one gets returned to the store most often for aggression).

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From conversing with others at my LFS, talking with others on various forums like this one and other store owners (in terms of which one gets returned to the store most often for aggression).
I've been pretty active on the reefing forums for a number of years, do aquarium maintenance and work with an LFS for a career. Like I said there specimen by specimen cases of aggressive fish in both species. And any aggression will be exacerbated in smaller tanks. Both can and do get returned, but that is more often related to nipping of corals rather than aggression.

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I introduced my flame and coral at the same time. Even tho the coral was a bit bigger the flame chased the coral around and after a few days I found the coral stuck in a corner of my 240 gallon tank with no fins or a tail. I can say my flame is a jerk and the reason why I can not any other fish. Heck he goes after Snails and crabs I put in now. I feed 3 times a day with a mix of PE Mysis, Rods frozen, and Krill, and once a day a full sheet of Nori for my Flame and Emperor Angel and he is still a jerk. But I love him so he is staying even tho the jerk of honks he runs the show lol

ridgley52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the two together in a 220gallon. They were fine for two years than the flame went rogue and killed the coral beauty

van7271

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had both and found the coral to be superior in all respects. It was hardy and long lived. Never saw it nip coral. The flames I had were aggressive to tank mates and highly territorial. Non of them were very long lived.

Carterfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d pick just one but you may be able to get away with both if your lucky just be prepared to snag one out of there if I️t fights badly. If you do pick one. Take the flame angel, wayyy more color and personality in my eyes. Mine goes around the tank picking at rocks all day and is a model citizen.

Joshua Kerstetter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a Coral from my original 50 and moved over to the 220, no problems with coral or issues with other fish. Wanted a Flame angel to go with, one died in DT, basically hid non stop, never saw him eating, he wasn't getting bullied that I saw, but just never came out and one morning found him dead. Second had in a newly established QT tank lived 4 days in QT, and again dead in the morning, no sign of abuse from other QT mates, both of which later migrated out of QT and into DT and fine today. So my experience was different, expensive deaths of the Flame, but not from aggression.

Sealion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My jerky angel is a rusty angel. He and the Singapore do fine together in my 93 gallon cube. The rusty attacked my newest angel,it was either a flame or bicolored.

lester lloyd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a flame and a lemon peel together in a 90 gal for almost two years the lemon peel grew a little larger and seems to be the boss but no nip fins I think what helped was I trod it them together and plenty of hiding spaces and full bellies cuts back on aggression if adding at different times try the mirror trick it has helped in the past with new tank mates

Steam fan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a 75 fish only tank. I have both. They are great with tank mates, but my coral beauty taunts my flame, then the flame chases the coral for a bit and never make contact. I may have gotten lucky with mine, but thought I’d add my 2 cents.

Vin's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How bout a flameback angel. I have one in both my reefs, my 200g with a flame. They are truly full of personality and very pretty. They are voracious algae grazers and get along very well with others. Flames are no where near as hardy, and are much more aggressive. My flame chases my flameback once in a while but nothing that he stresses over. I also find flamebacks to be hardier than coral beauties (seem prone to ick) with less chance of coral nipping.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back