Keeping coral angel fish and flame angel

Brett newell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried 2 flames and couldn't get them to live past 3 weeks. I have a coral beauty and a Fiji bi color angel. And they get along great. They circle like they want to breed. I'd like to add a flame back to my frag system when that's up and running.

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a coral beauty and a flame angel in my 150g. They chase each other all the time, but have co-existed for more than a year. I think that having sufficient rockwork that they can occasionally hide from each other is important.

Squeaky McMurdo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Opinions please,

I moved all my fish to a 125 two weeks ago. I have had a coral beauty since February that is probably medium size and am planning an order to LiveAquaria today. Do you think a small flame will do ok? The CB is pretty shy. I’m getting a few other fish so I feel like if I want a flame, now is the time to add it. I’m definitely planning on an acclimation box for the flame when the time comes and I do have the ability to put a divider in my tank should it not work out.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the CB is pretty shy then I say no. As you can see here, plenty of examples of the Flame being assertive at the very least. I know it's not orange, but have you considered a Foxface as an alternative? They generally don't bother much, but their bright Yellow Color and white and black swirl face pattern is pretty cool. I have a One Spot Foxface with my Coral Beauty in my 90 gallon.

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added this same pair to my 75g the coral beauty was a bit bigger but both fairly small I have 2 Island with lots of places for fish to hide and I also added them at the same time with no issue they were together for 6-7 months but one started munching on my Acans and zoas they both used to graze a lot all day So I didn’t not know who was the culprit eventually sold them both together to a guy doing a FOWLR system since I knew a potters angel was eventually going to end in my tank

Edit: My coral beauty was a total Bi*** to everyone in the tank the flame was a bit smaller but held his own so he never bothered him they used to swim together

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a coral beauty and a flame angel in my 150g. They chase each other all the time, but have co-existed for more than a year. I think that having sufficient rockwork that they can occasionally hide from each other is important.

I will second this and also in regards to aggression all fishes are not the same my coral beauty was a pain to everyone in my tank less to the flame idk why they would swim together with occasional chases nothing drastic but possibly because I have a Ton of rocks in my DT with lots of hidding places for all my fishes to give everyone a fair chance, on their new home a 125g they still buddies a year later equal size now

Squeaky McMurdo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the CB is pretty shy then I say no. As you can see here, plenty of examples of the Flame being assertive at the very least. I know it's not orange, but have you considered a Foxface as an alternative? They generally don't bother much, but their bright Yellow Color and white and black swirl face pattern is pretty cool. I have a One Spot Foxface with my Coral Beauty in my 90 gallon.

Yes, I’m getting a One Spot Foxface and a Kole tang. Both small. And going to try a Columbian Shark (it’s a catfish) just so my husband can be satisfied that we have a shark. Lol.

I think I’m going to save my money and just stick with those 3.

Squeaky McMurdo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Price dropped a lot on the Flame. I couldn’t resist and called LA to ask if they could add one to my order that will be going out Monday. I thing it will be alright. My Coral is 3+” so I guess it is technically large. The Flame I ordered will be 1-1.75” Also it is shy when I’m around, but is probably the current tank boss when I’m not watching.

OP
OP
D

dexter91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bought a flame angel. 3 days have passed and it hasn't touched my corals yet. Should i be relieved or it might show it's nipping nature later?

Back