Keeping first acro, changing color after week 1

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my first acro (generic green) about two weeks ago and I've started to notice most of the coral going a rusty color. This started when it was still on the frag tank in my DT about a week after I got it. I'm wondering if the coral is just getting used to my tank and the lighting (LFS had T5s) or if I have an actual issue. It's currently near the top of my tank, about 5 inches from my water line. I have a 40 breeder tank with two AI Prime HDs about 8 inches above the water. The lights are on noon to 7 with two hour ramps on either side. The coral is nearly directly under one of the lights. The tank was stated at the beginning of October last year.

I just tested my water parameters:
Temp: 78-79
Nitrate: 1 ppm
Phos: .05 ppm (Hanna ULR)
Mag: 1430 ppm
Alk: 9 dKH
Calc: 460 ppm
Salinity: 1.025

Flow is from an MP10 on 75% reef crest on one end and an XF230 on the other running a 24 hour schedule that is mostly alternating -20 to +30%.

Polyp extension throughout the day so does that typically mean I shouldn't be too worried or is that not a good indicator? Am I too worried about the coral and I should just wait it out? Will the full green color come back after some time as it was entirely green when I got it or is it changing to a different color for as long as it's in my tanks conditions? Thanks for helping out this nervous first-timer!

IMG_20180221_172542.jpg

Last edited:

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a pretty good photo!

I find some acros brown out a bit (or fully) while they adapt to your water. Even though your parameters are fairly suitable, they are not likely the same as its last home.

However, there are a couple due-diligence questions, how did you acclimate the coral? Did you 'dip' or QT the coral before putting it into your tank?

Keep an eye on it, and keep your parameters stable. If you start to see tissue necrosis, post up right away!

For more information on ideal parameters, I refer to this article:
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

OP
OP
pluikens

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dipped the coral in the recommended concentration of CoralRX and tank water for a few minutes before rinsing in a separate bowl of tank water before putting on my frag rack. Rack started near the bottom of the tank and I worked it up the glass over the first week until it got mounted to rockwork. Is the polyp extension a good indicator of health?

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks pretty good, polyp extension is good thing.

Do you know if your Alk is rock solid stable day in and day out? You tested at 9, which is a little high for my taste but fine. Does it stay at 9 every day?

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say 50% of acros I put in my tank browns out first. After a few weeks they begin to color up again

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back