Keeping forest fire digi yellow

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have trouble keeping the yellow? It's always yellow when it goes in but generally I get blue growth tips and no yellow to be seen. I have it in multiple places getting anywhere from 100 par to 350.

It grows ok for me but not like a weed.

Reference is when it was newer probably last year to now. Lights a little low on the pic i just took. Not messing with the wifi to fix that right now.

20190503_142923.jpg

20200220_104915.jpg

Pennywise the Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like the secret of just being able to grow Forest Fire. I have 3 small frags in different positions in my display, each receiving different amounts of light, and none of them have done anything in months. At the same time the majority of my acros are doing okay.
Everyone tell me that the Forest Fire grows like a weed but in my display that is definitely not the case.

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like the secret of just being able to grow Forest Fire. I have 3 small frags in different positions in my display, each receiving different amounts of light, and none of them have done anything in months. At the same time the majority of my acros are doing okay.
Everyone tell me that the Forest Fire grows like a weed but in my display that is definitely not the case.
It grows for me enough I can frag and sell pieces but nothing crazy. Hawkins grows much faster for me.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought higher light and lower nutrients was how you get the green in the tips of the digi like this but I wouldn’t say it’s a yellow color.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The growth tips of mine are white. The body is green and polyps orangish-red. I haven't seen one with yellow tips myself. Perhaps different lighting or nutrient levels would change them yellow. I'm really not sure though.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres mine. Colors were better with nearly undetecable nitrate and slightly elevated phosphate.

First photo is when i first got it.

Second is 6 months later.

3rd is last month.

Not super explosive growth but its been encrusting on a 3" disc with very little vertical growth.
Colors have always stayed green around edges even when i raised my nitrate.

Currently my nutrients are 5-10nitrate and .04 phosphate.

Last photo is a super color saturated gel filter shot. Bad focus tho :)

20190520_184302.jpg 20191101_182216.jpg 20200222_110620.jpg 20191116_210349.jpg

Last edited:

mborn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, forest fire has blue tips and green skin on the branches and my bubble gum digi has yellow/lime tips and blue skin on the branches.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe mines a bubblegum then. No forest green branches...just bright yellow tips and rim so far.

The frag came from a large colony in a display at a wholesale shop and the colony did not have any yellow or green flourescence. Just a darker body with red polyps. Couldnt tell if blue or green branches to be honest.

Last edited:

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the color scheme is as referenced by others , so prob a diff coral anyhow. And 15k ish light will give best colors trying to yellow and some other colors out of "blue only " lighting is tricky.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe mines a bubblegum then. No forest green branches...just bright yellow tips and rim so far.

The frag came from a large colony in a display at a wholesale shop and the colony did not have any yellow or green flourescence. Just a darker body with red polyps. Couldnt tell if blue or green branches to be honest.

The pic you posted does look more like a bubblegum than a ff, imo.

I'll post a pic of mine when I get a chance later this evening.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back