Keeping Harlequin Tusk in 625 G-2 reefer

Feartheturtle!22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm receiving my reefer G-2 625 xl on Friday, to start putting stand together, so at ground zero. It will be protein skimmed, live rock in refugium and a good amount of rock in tank and 4" sand. At first, I was really concentrating on which inverts which would include sps. and clams. I'm looking at a number of fish that won't eat this or that invert. The giant clam colors are amazing. Then it hits me, most of these glowing inverts DON'T MOVE MUCH, or hopefully won't. Now, I'm looking at the reef safe fish for the tank, mostly tangs and smaller fish. One fish I love is the Harlequin tusk. They look so brutal. After reading more, some authors are stating yes, it can be done ( just no clams, ornamental shrimp,crabs or very small fish). I' m like I can live with that and have my tuskfish. Any thoughts or past experiences with keeping a harlequin in a live reef with restictions? p.s.- while we're at it: how about a blue (yellow) masked angel? Thank you, Kurt

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're goal is to have a reef tank then absolutely not in my opinion. Fish only though go for it I say. 4" of sand of sand is too much.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tusk is typically reserved for fish only tanks. It will make a meal of any invert, including ornamental clams. They will absolutely eat any fish that is sized appropriately, particularly wrasse or goby shaped ones. Their teeth do work and they can bite small fish in half if they want to. They do stellar with triggers and puffers. They are technically reef safe as far as corals go, but not with ANY inverts. From bristle worms to the largest of conchs, all are on the menu.

OP
OP
F

Feartheturtle!22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're goal is to have a reef tank then absolutely not in my opinion. Fish only though go for it I say. 4" of sand of sand is too much.
Hi Flashsmith, My thought was this: most crustaceans and mollusks except for the giant clams don't tend to have very long life spans. With the different sps, lps and soft corals, etc., I can still produce a beautiful live reef. But, I think the reef really grabs a person more, if at least one of the upper,upper tier classic reef fishes is added as a focal point. A purple basslet, just doesn't have it. How many get eaten by other animals, getting stung, going over the over-flow or ends up on the floor? The same goes for small wrasses, gobies, blennies, small pseudanthias species. Again, being small there probably isn't a very long life span. A few others on my list would be the PB tang or blue(yellow) masked angel. Hey, if it doesn't work, it's a trade-in, I certainly wouldn't let it commit total terror (no Putin's allowed in my tank). I'll send in the hippo tanks, oops! hippo tangs to Finnish off Putin. With the sand, you're right, 3" would be safer for gas diffusion, exchange. Thanks for Your Thoughts, Cheeers! Kurt

OP
OP
F

Feartheturtle!22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tusk is typically reserved for fish only tanks. It will make a meal of any invert, including ornamental clams. They will absolutely eat any fish that is sized appropriately, particularly wrasse or goby shaped ones. Their teeth do work and they can bite small fish in half if they want to. They do stellar with triggers and puffers. They are technically reef safe as far as corals go, but not with ANY inverts. From bristle worms to the largest of conchs, all are on the menu.
Hi Bucs20fan, I agree with what you said. There just would be no ornamental crustaceans, mollusks, or very small fish. There are enough gorgeous species of both hard and soft coral to have a live reef and mix in some of the top tier marine fish of the hobby. If it fails, I can always trade down to smaller fish. I plan to build some good sized grottos and a few well placed pillboxes. Cheeers! Kurt

EugeneVan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a harlequin tusk in my 200 gal SPS, LPS mix reef tank for over a year. He is so peaceful and never touch any of my coral, snail and even small fish like green chromis . But if you planning to keep shrimp, then you are out of luck :eek:

Attachments

• 20220307_190352.jpg
    20220307_190352.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 85
OP
OP
F

Feartheturtle!22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a harlequin tusk in my 200 gal SPS, LPS mix reef tank for over a year. He is so peaceful and never touch any of my coral, snail and even small fish like green chromis . But if you planning to keep shrimp, then you are out of luck :eek:
Hi EugeneVan, Yes, They do have a set of knarly looking teethand your photo show s
I have never had a reef tank WITHOUT a Harlequin Tusk in the past 35+ years!
I have never had a reef tank WITHOUT a Harleq
I have never had a reef tank WITHOUT a Harlequin Tusk in the past 35+ years!
Hi Albano, Yes, this forum is great, because not everything is black or white. Obviously, one could do some really stupid things with a harlequin in a live reef tank. But by getting info from a number of people and also making livestock changes to making the reef suitable for a harlequin, I willing to make those changes because darn, I just want my harlequin. Albano, have you ever kept a weedy sea dragon? One more, I've never met a frogfish I didn'like.
uin Tusk in the past 35+ years!

OP
OP
F

Feartheturtle!22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Albano, Yes, this forum is great, because not everything is black or white. Obviously, one could do some really stupid things with a harlequin in a reef tank. But, by getting info from a number of people and making the right livestock choices, it can be done. Thanks So Much, Kurt

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off I have to say Harlequin Tusk is one of my most favorite fish of all, second in line actually under Clarion Angel. Once I get a bigger tank that fish is on the list guarantee it! Second, I think they make a great reef candidate, but no inverts like shrimp crabs and ornamental clams. Never have I heard they go after coral, and very rarely do they go after small fish. Obviously bad idea to keep them with fire-fish and 2” clownfish, but I don’t think your gonna do that. Some people will say they are terrors, but rlly the tusk is the one bet to be terrorized. They are a super timid fish. Yk the saying don’t judge a book by it’s cover? Well that’s the Harlequin Tusk. IMO many more reefers should keep these fish in reef tanks. The tank will not suit long term for him, so after maybe 1 or 2 years he will need an upgrade. Happy to see someone who enjoys these fish as I do!

OP
OP
F

Feartheturtle!22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Petcrazyson, I think I'm changing my moniker to WavyGravy. It's funny because I received two other replies that stated exactly what you did. I'm so glad I asked. Yes the clams, shrimp, crabs are neat, but with so many safe gorgeous inverts to choose for our reefs, I want to enjoy some of the top tier fish like the harlequin. Also, how do you feel on the powder blue tang and the blue( yellow) masked angel. The last couple of weeks, I've Bern going through Scott Michael's series, what s work of art. God, I wish Scott could get them published somehow. Oh, I almost forgot you mentioned the Clarion Angel. In the summer of '91 we went S.C.U.B.A. diving off Lands End at Cabo San Lucas. It's one dive where one can dive in both the Sea of Cortez and the Pacific Ocean. I'll never forget the vertical wall that I was diving next to is the underwater continuation of the huge rocks one sees as the land mark Lands End. The was a huge school of angels picking on that vertical surface. Approx. 2/3 were Passers and the other 1/3 were Clarions. Clarions are also one of my favorite fish. They were smaller than the Passers, but the color just burned it was so bright. I have no idea whether they can still be collected or not. Thanx for Your Response, Cheeeers! Kurt

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Petcrazyson, I think I'm changing my moniker to WavyGravy. It's funny because I received two other replies that stated exactly what you did. I'm so glad I asked. Yes the clams, shrimp, crabs are neat, but with so many safe gorgeous inverts to choose for our reefs, I want to enjoy some of the top tier fish like the harlequin. Also, how do you feel on the powder blue tang and the blue( yellow) masked angel. The last couple of weeks, I've Bern going through Scott Michael's series, what s work of art. God, I wish Scott could get them published somehow. Oh, I almost forgot you mentioned the Clarion Angel. In the summer of '91 we went S.C.U.B.A. diving off Lands End at Cabo San Lucas. It's one dive where one can dive in both the Sea of Cortez and the Pacific Ocean. I'll never forget the vertical wall that I was diving next to is the underwater continuation of the huge rocks one sees as the land mark Lands End. The was a huge school of angels picking on that vertical surface. Approx. 2/3 were Passers and the other 1/3 were Clarions. Clarions are also one of my favorite fish. They were smaller than the Passers, but the color just burned it was so bright. I have no idea whether they can still be collected or not. Thanx for Your Response, Cheeeers! Kurt
I’m happy you posted lol. Now personally not the tang police, but it be a ballsy move keeping a PBT in 130 gallon 5 foot tank. I’m sure you know their reputation. Another fear of mine would be it harming the Tusk. Obviously the Tusk is just a supersized wrasse, but towards the PBT anything around its size or bigger or smaller is a rival. In a 6 foot+ tank, and around 200 gallons or more, I think the PBT would be tolerable living along side the Tusk, as it would give it ample swimming room, hiding spots, territory distancing, and the Tusk would have somewhere easier to escape to. I’d wait until you upgrade for that tang. Just my opinion though not saying you can’t do it. I think a good alternative to the PBT IMO would be a Gold Rim or a Convict or a Chocolate, if you really want one of those Acanthurus.

The Blue face angelfish is one of my favorite fish as well. How can’t it be a people favorite. Why it’s even my Lock Screen wallpaper lol. Again in that size tank it be pretty gutsy. They definitely don’t have the frantic swimming pattern of the PBT, or the attitude, but it’s still a 5 foot tank, not to mention they are coral nippers. Long term, personally I’d keep the angelfish in 8 foot tank or bigger. I’d be very watchful if the angel starts to go after the coral. Now notice I said go after the coral and not nipping. Pecks here and there won’t harm the coral, but constant nipping will pose a problem. If your really want one though, I’d opt for a small one, and re-home or upgrade when it gets over 5”, and feed him clams and spongey foods to encourage him to not nip at the coral. In the wild angels are after sponges NOT coral, it just so happens the sponges like to grow near or on the coral, so they take a bite of sponge and coral. It’s kinda like when you want to eat a taco and you want a little more meat in the bite but also get some cheese. Kinda like that lol. Hope it makes sense :)

I am very jealous of that trip :squinting-face-with-tongue:

Happy Reefin! -Ethan

Last edited:

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also idk if you can collect them or not. Maybe a few instances here or there, but that would be all my guess. And when they are sold they are uhh how do I put this
1667966728585.gif

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to say that if you are on the look for that blue/yellow Face I‘d suggest the Venustus Angel, they again are a risk with coral but don’t get near as big as the Blue-Face and can be kept in your tank long term. Or if you still want an angel with that Blue-Face color/ build, maybe a Regal angelfish or a Blue-Line angelfish. They both need a bigger tank long term but you can keep them longer in your tank than a Blue-Face. The Regal is one of the larger angels that are less of a worry with coral, so that’s a plus, and if you want a Blue-Line, look up Poma Labs, and they can give you one at a great price, and since they are captive bred, are 99% coral proof. And don’t worry, these captive bred fish from Poma Labs are among the finest, so no need to worry that you’ll end up getting a fish from them that kinda looks like a Biota Captive Bred Yellow Tang.

OP
OP
F

Feartheturtle!22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m happy you posted lol. Now personally not the tang police, but it be a ballsy move keeping a PBT in 130 gallon 5 foot tank. I’m sure you know their reputation. Another fear of mine would be it harming the Tusk. Obviously the Tusk is just a supersized wrasse, but towards the PBT anything around its size or bigger or smaller is a rival. In a 6 foot+ tank, and around 200 gallons or more, I think the PBT would be tolerable living along side the Tusk, as it would give it ample swimming room, hiding spots, territory distancing, and the Tusk would have somewhere easier to escape to. I’d wait until you upgrade for that tang. Just my opinion though not saying you can’t do it. I think a good alternative to the PBT IMO would be a Gold Rim or a Convict or a Chocolate, if you really want one of those Acanthurus.

The Blue face angelfish is one of my favorite fish as well. How can’t it be a people favorite. Why it’s even my Lock Screen wallpaper lol. Again in that size tank it be pretty gutsy. They definitely don’t have the frantic swimming pattern of the PBT, or the attitude, but it’s still a 5 foot tank, not to mention they are coral nippers. Long term, personally I’d keep the angelfish in 8 foot tank or bigger. I’d be very watchful if the angel starts to go after the coral. Now notice I said go after the coral and not nipping. Pecks here and there won’t harm the coral, but constant nipping will pose a problem. If your really want one though, I’d opt for a small one, and re-home or upgrade when it gets over 5”, and feed him clams and spongey foods to encourage him to not nip at the coral. In the wild angels are after sponges NOT coral, it just so happens the sponges like to grow near or on the coral, so they take a bite of sponge and coral. It’s kinda like when you want to eat a taco and you want a little more meat in the bite but also get some cheese. Kinda like that lol. Hope it makes sense :)

Happy Reefin! -Ethan
Good Morning Ethan, I agree that as everybody grows may be big problem. So no PBTs, I would get some small hippos instead. Get 2 small Harl equins and to end those top of the food chain fishes that need their space, but really make the tank stick out, 2 blue(yellow) masked angels. Other smaller species will be added, but to me it's these three species that will make the core or soul of the tank. I just need to be patient. Cheeeeeers! Kurt

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm receiving my reefer G-2 625 xl on Friday, to start putting stand together, so at ground zero. It will be protein skimmed, live rock in refugium and a good amount of rock in tank and 4" sand. At first, I was really concentrating on which inverts which would include sps. and clams. I'm looking at a number of fish that won't eat this or that invert. The giant clam colors are amazing. Then it hits me, most of these glowing inverts DON'T MOVE MUCH, or hopefully won't. Now, I'm looking at the reef safe fish for the tank, mostly tangs and smaller fish. One fish I love is the Harlequin tusk. They look so brutal. After reading more, some authors are stating yes, it can be done ( just no clams, ornamental shrimp,crabs or very small fish). I' m like I can live with that and have my tuskfish. Any thoughts or past experiences with keeping a harlequin in a live reef with restictions? p.s.- while we're at it: how about a blue (yellow) masked angel? Thank you, Kurt

For what it's worth, if you haven't seen it, here is a reprint of an article I wrote back in 2006 about harlequin tuskfish:

Jay

OP
OP
F

Feartheturtle!22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Happy Reefin! -Ethan
Hi Ethan, Yes, in the Caribbean dives, we saw that a lot, a large barrel sponge torn apart with usually a pair of either greys, French or Queens looking at you like they've been spotted raiding the cookie jar. YUM, fresh sponge just like cotton candy at the carnival. Then they would just go back to eating. Would see the same with hawks-bill sea turtles using the spurs on their flippers to get a purchase to chow down on their cotton candy. Cheeeeers, Kurt

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning Ethan, I agree that as everybody grows may be big problem. So no PBTs, I would get some small hippos instead. Get 2 small Harl equins and to end those top of the food chain fishes that need their space, but really make the tank stick out, 2 blue(yellow) masked angels. Other smaller species will be added, but to me it's these three species that will make the core or soul of the tank. I just need to be patient. Cheeeeeers! Kurt
I see you are rlly set on the fish. Just be careful. Now Hippos are a whole different story than PBT’s. Only get 1 as 2 will be a big big problem, they aren’t as aggressive as PBT but definitely aggressive enough. They will need a bigger home long term like the others but the Hippo is a better tang candidate than the other one. Only get 1 Harlequin only 1. Not even in a 500 gallon should there be kept 2. They are some of the most docile fish, but even the cutest and calmest most obedient puppies can react badly. Once the angel gets over the 6” mark definitely think of rehoming or upgrading, but again only get 1. It will spell disaster keeping 2 in that size tank, even in a 1000+ gallons only 1 should be kept. Feed a lot of nori, spongey foods, clams, mussels and such to help with the nipping.

OP
OP
F

Feartheturtle!22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to say that if you are on the look for that blue/yellow Face I‘d suggest the Venustus Angel, they again are a risk with coral but don’t get near as big as the Blue-Face and can be kept in your tank long term. Or if you still want an angel with that Blue-Face color/ build, maybe a Regal angelfish or a Blue-Line angelfish. They both need a bigger tank long term but you can keep them longer in your tank than a Blue-Face. The Regal is one of the larger angels that are less of a worry with coral, so that’s a plus, and if you want a Blue-Line, look up Poma Labs, and they can give you one at a great price, and since they are captive bred, are 99% coral proof. And don’t worry, these captive bred fish from Poma Labs are among the finest, so no need to worry that you’ll end up getting a fish from them that kinda looks like a Biota Captive Bred Yellow Tang.
Hi Ethan, I'd been looking at the Blue-lined (Bluestripe) angel, (Michael). Yes, I like that fish, although doesn't solve trying to keep total fish bulk smaller. Have you kept one or more.?Would it be a fish that is hard to get? I like the Venusta angel too. Hell! I just love lots of color! (Michael) gave it an aquarium suitability Index of only 2, but size and color wise great! Are they more reliable these days? I also like Lamarck's angel definitely and that gets the fish mass down. I know that I'm anthropomorphogizing on this, but I always feel sorry for a lone specimum. It's like with my turtles, they should always have a partner. Dottie was up above a layer of slide cover-slip thickness ice basking in the sun above the pond two days ago. So often Dottie and her mate Richie will bask side by side just like an old couple. So now you know, I'm a couple's freak. Ethan, my old tank was gal 240. For 15 years I was supplying the DC suburb shops with young Heros synspillium and young Hero's citrinellum. Managing to get enough young to raise while leaving with parents in a community tank environment needs a fair amount of wood and rock work. That's what I like with the G-2 XL. 625. The width is 26.6 ", using that width to make grottos, bring rock to 6" of surface in areas toward the back, (not solid brick wall) makes the tank like the backyard topiary maze in The Shining. Fish will get lost in there. Fish go in, but they don't come out.That's the idea. One rule, no coral gets within 3-4" of front glass. One more, what's your experience with the marine betta? I would love to breed that fish. I think your getting me to think more realistically. That guidance always helps. TzhANKYzoU! I wrote it in Ukrainian for you. Hope we start the seek and destroy on Putin now!!!!!. Oh, what a wonderful world it would be.
One of my favorite movies. Cheeeeeeers! Kurt

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ethan, I'd been looking at the Blue-lined (Bluestripe) angel, (Michael). Yes, I like that fish, although doesn't solve trying to keep total fish bulk smaller. Have you kept one or more.?Would it be a fish that is hard to get? I like the Venusta angel too. Hell! I just love lots of color! (Michael) gave it an aquarium suitability Index of only 2, but size and color wise great! Are they more reliable these days? I also like Lamarck's angel definitely and that gets the fish mass down. I know that I'm anthropomorphogizing on this, but I always feel sorry for a lone specimum. It's like with my turtles, they should always have a partner. Dottie was up above a layer of slide cover-slip thickness ice basking in the sun above the pond two days ago. So often Dottie and her mate Richie will bask side by side just like an old couple. So now you know, I'm a couple's freak. Ethan, my old tank was gal 240. For 15 years I was supplying the DC suburb shops with young Heros synspillium and young Hero's citrinellum. Managing to get enough young to raise while leaving with parents in a community tank environment needs a fair amount of wood and rock work. That's what I like with the G-2 XL. 625. The width is 26.6 ", using that width to make grottos, bring rock to 6" of surface in areas toward the back, (not solid brick wall) makes the tank like the backyard topiary maze in The Shining. Fish will get lost in there. Fish go in, but they don't come out.That's the idea. One rule, no coral gets within 3-4" of front glass. One more, what's your experience with the marine betta? I would love to breed that fish. I think your getting me to think more realistically. That guidance always helps. TzhANKYzoU! I wrote it in Ukrainian for you. Hope we start the seek and destroy on Putin now!!!!!. Oh, what a wonderful world it would be.
One of my favorite movies. Cheeeeeeers! Kurt
Personally, the book seems a little out dated to me, but that’s just me. The Blue-Line is not a difficult fish to get. I have never kept one, but I have an Angel of the exact same body build. It’s a cross between a Black Velvet and a Black Phantom. Now THAT is a fish that is super super difficult to get, and won’t be seen anytime soon, hell why I’m one of the only people in the world who has one of those (tooting my horn :squinting-face-with-tongue:) I find them rather peaceful, at least mine anyway, but mine doesn’t seem to like tangs, at least no PBT species. Tried a Powder Brown while back and he tolerated him to the sense he wouldn’t go to sleep until he knew the PBT wouldn’t leave its cave at night. I should’ve known trying a GoldRim would spell disaster and it did. Can‘t keep a GoldRim now. But those were just my mistakes. Venustus are a harder fish to get than a Blue-Line, but not super difficult. But you do need to find the healthiest specimen as they can be much more fragile.
Genicanthus are among one of my favorite angels, and I plan on having a female Genicanthus bellus and a male Genicanthus melanospilos, (scientific names) They are the most reef safe Angel you can get your hands on. I’d say 100% safe but there have been a few instances but I wouldn’t let that stop you. The Lamarck is a good Genicanthus choice, but those in particular can get more feisty than the other Genicanthus, but again I wouldn’t worry about that. I have to agree with you a pair or duo is much better than a lone one. Even though I’m not planning on having a pair I am planning on having a duo. I’m plan to add the female Masked Swallowtail first, then add the the female bellus a few weeks later, so that the female Swallowtail will transition into the male seeing as there is a female.

Any pics of the old 240? Seems you have a plan already set for the tank. Why don‘t you make a build thread about it and we can all see the progress?

Happy Reefin!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.3%
Back