Keeping just a single maroon clown?

Ralph823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, about a week ago my female maroon clown started nipping at my male and he was pretty beat up and she continues to do so after several weeks of keeping them separate and reintroducing them. my plan is to bring her back to the LFS and keep just the male. is this a good idea or not?
I just set up a new tank two months ago, I took some live rock and water from my other tanks and replaced them with dry rock, I put the the live rock in the new tank and it cycled soo people don't come at me about adding fish to soon lol. established Bio Media + New glass tank = established tank IME

anyways

I tend to ignore most advice ( I have the believe none of what you hear and half of what you read mentality ) because I've met mules that are less stubborn than I am and I take the Paul B approach to my tanks now anyway

so I let the tank continue to cycle about a week more and then I got a Gold nugget about 2.5 inches and a WSM about 1.5 inches, I added them both to the tank within the same day, they tail slapped each other for about 15 minutes and then started swimming around the tank together within 48 hours they are both being hosted by the same BTA

I may have just gotten lucky with these two but I would say trade in the Aggressor for another maroon and get a new "male" about half the size of you current make or smaller and see if that pair works.

Each fish has their own personality, IMO calling a species "aggressive " isn't fair to the fish, although most fish of an "aggressive" species may actually be aggressive it wont mean they all are, I've had Ocis run a tank and chase down and stress fish much larger than they are to the point of death and those clowns are considered "peaceful" if we believe everything we read, and now I have two "mean, nasty, aggressive" maroon clowns that are model citizens.

the experts in this hobby didn't go to school to learn how to keep marine fish as there are no college degrees for saltwater tank keeping unless you count marine biology which was my major but TBH what I learned in school is nothing compared to what it takes to be in the hobby, sure i know that the madreporite on the echinoderm sucks in water and helps the animal move and feed but do we care about that in the hobby? no because it is irrelevant.

The experts in this hobby gain that status through one simple thing, trial and error and unfortunately that's what the majority of us will learn from. so my advice would be the following

- Try keeping only one maroon for a while if you're okay with not having a pair
- if you really want a pair get the second and hope for the best you can always take it back for another fish until you find a good match
-move the aquascape around so that they don't recognize their environment, I've done this to get clowns to be hosted by anemones that aren't their natural host maybe it'll work sorta like couples therapy

the only way to figure out a solution that works is to try different things.

Ralph823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up a new tank two months ago, I took some live rock and water from my other tanks and replaced them with dry rock, I put the the live rock in the new tank and it cycled soo people don't come at me about adding fish to soon lol. established Bio Media + New glass tank = established tank IME

anyways

I tend to ignore most advice ( I have the believe none of what you hear and half of what you read mentality ) because I've met mules that are less stubborn than I am and I take the Paul B approach to my tanks now anyway

so I let the tank continue to cycle about a week more and then I got a Gold nugget about 2.5 inches and a WSM about 1.5 inches, I added them both to the tank within the same day, they tail slapped each other for about 15 minutes and then started swimming around the tank together within 48 hours they are both being hosted by the same BTA

I may have just gotten lucky with these two but I would say trade in the Aggressor for another maroon and get a new "male" about half the size of you current make or smaller and see if that pair works.

Each fish has their own personality, IMO calling a species "aggressive " isn't fair to the fish, although most fish of an "aggressive" species may actually be aggressive it wont mean they all are, I've had Ocis run a tank and chase down and stress fish much larger than they are to the point of death and those clowns are considered "peaceful" if we believe everything we read, and now I have two "mean, nasty, aggressive" maroon clowns that are model citizens.

the experts in this hobby didn't go to school to learn how to keep marine fish as there are no college degrees for saltwater tank keeping unless you count marine biology which was my major but TBH what I learned in school is nothing compared to what it takes to be in the hobby, sure i know that the madreporite on the echinoderm sucks in water and helps the animal move and feed but do we care about that in the hobby? no because it is irrelevant.

The experts in this hobby gain that status through one simple thing, trial and error and unfortunately that's what the majority of us will learn from. so my advice would be the following

- if you really want a pair get the second and hope for the best you can always take it back for another fish until you find a good match
-move the aquascape around so that they don't recognize their environment, I've done this to get clowns to be hosted by anemones that aren't their natural host maybe it'll work sorta like couples therapy

anyways

another thing that may work (it works with bored parrots so maybe it'll work with fish) give her a mirror on the outside of the tank, she'll possibly direct her aggression to the "new fish"

OP
OP
J

Jpiotro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

anyways

Thank you so much for your input!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back