Keeping SPS in a mixed reef

Truebluereefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I was wondering what is your experience with keeping SPS in a mixed reef tank.
I currently have a 270 gallon mixed reef and I have some montis in the tanks that are doing well and I want to try some acros out, whats the best way to add them in to an establish reef tank, I have read that you want to reduce your lights and then increase them over time as to not shock the corals what your thoughts on this, or any other helpful tips to get good color and growth out of the acros?

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an SPS dominant mixed reef with no issues at all. What you stated on lighting is true but I'd say it also depends on what kinds of PAR you are dealing with and what level the piece came from. If you have high PAR say greater than 400, acclimation is more important IMO than if your dealing with moderate levels. I've never seen an acro have issue with 200-300 par immediately upon arrival. A successful mixed reef comes down to placement IMO to give each different type of coral the appropriate flow and lighting. I my experience this means moving corals over time to find their ideal conditions even though you may have had the "perfect" spot picked out for it in your mind which is ultimately incompatible.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I was wondering what is your experience with keeping SPS in a mixed reef tank.
I currently have a 270 gallon mixed reef and I have some montis in the tanks that are doing well and I want to try some acros out, whats the best way to add them in to an establish reef tank, I have read that you want to reduce your lights and then increase them over time as to not shock the corals what your thoughts on this, or any other helpful tips to get good color and growth out of the acros?
Reducing and acclimating new SPS corals is a factor of what lighting they have been in and what lighting they are going to. Seeing as you have been keeping less light demanding corals in your tank you might not need to go the acclimation to your light route. Without knowing what lights and settings you are using and what light and settings the corals came from it is a moot endeavor. Can you give us some more info on your current lighting scheme?

Journeyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rather than change my lights, I prefer to put new frags on a frag rack and move the rack from the bottom of my tank to the top over time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back