Keeping track of corals

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday evening I added some acropora frags from my frag rack to my aquascape, and I realized that if I don't somehow record which one is which I will forget what each of them are called. So my method was to take pictures of the tank on my phone and then write numbers by each coral in the picture, then write what each number is on a post it note (which will eventually go into a spreadsheet). There has to be some easier way.
I only have about 30 sps frags and I already struggled to remember what each of them were, so how do people that have a tank filled with sticks remember what they all are? I guess the question would still apply to people that have a lot of zoas, torches, etc as well.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, before someone replies with the stupid trade names don't matter, I do partially agree. However, it is nice that if you show a picture of a coral and someone asks what it is I can tell them a name that easily matches it up with what the same coral from others looks like.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You listen to the podcasts I do.. lol..

I personally would like to see it go back to

taxonomy/ then branding​

I agree that the trade names given to corals is ridiculous when I can see two corals that look the same to me and everyone swears they're not the same. I ecspecially don't understand it with sps that "color up" differently depending on nutrients, light levels, etc. I do see how it is beneficial for the hobby though...if it hadn't been taken to a ridiculous level.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an app called Aquarium Note.
For a while I had an app called aquaticlog, that could allow the user to take a pic and record information, but as the coral grows it changes its looks some so I'm not sure how well it would work. I'm assuming the app you have works similarly?
Also, for my app it didn't help that I used the free version so I was unable to take my own picture of the corals. I was originally just using it to log parameters, but stopped when I got an apex since I can log them in fusion.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have many frags and like to keep track of everything. Not just named things but also lots of acans i frag for example it helps me track growth and to see when the colors from the same mother change a lot based off the tank or where in tank i have them.

Anyway the way i do it is fairly tedious and not for everyone....but works for me. I use a labelmaker with laminated tape. Then i superglue that label(with a printed number i track in a spreadsheet) onto the frag plug. This way it is also easy for me to track growth pictures by number. It works pretty well for me, but like i said a bit tedious.

IMG_20211022_103317.jpg

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have many frags and like to keep track of everything. Not just named things but also lots of acans i frag for example it helps me track growth and to see when the colors from the same mother change a lot based off the tank or where in tank i have them.

Anyway the way i do it is fairly tedious and not for everyone....but works for me. I use a labelmaker with laminated tape. Then i superglue that label(with a printed number i track in a spreadsheet) onto the frag plug. This way it is also easy for me to track growth pictures by number. It works pretty well for me, but like i said a bit tedious.

IMG_20211022_103317.jpg
Interesting idea and if I was working with corals that stayed in a frag rack like in a frag tank that's a good idea, but I dont see anyway to easily implement it into my display. Especially since I cut off the stem of the plug and the coral eventually grows over the rest.

jtichenor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a while I had an app called aquaticlog, that could allow the user to take a pic and record information, but as the coral grows it changes its looks some so I'm not sure how well it would work. I'm assuming the app you have works similarly?
Also, for my app it didn't help that I used the free version so I was unable to take my own picture of the corals. I was originally just using it to log parameters, but stopped when I got an apex since I can log them in fusion.
Aquarium Note allows you to take progress photos and enter notes on each photo. It also displays the age of each pic in tile view for a nice at-a-glance idea of growth over time.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use a dedicated USB with a spreadsheet and file for photos. I can then place a link in the spreadsheet to the photos

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 32 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back