Keeping two lubbocks wrasse together

Msmith2813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a mccoskers, and what was supposed to be a male and female lubbocks (tricolor) fairy wrasse yesterday to add to my 225g tank. I only had two clownfish before yesterday’s addition. The largest lubbocks is 3-4” and the smaller one is probably 2” at most. Well upon checking out the tank after the lights came on this morning the smaller wrasse has the exact same colors (they were completely different before today) as the larger wrasse. Are they both now males? And is this going to be an issue? Thank you. I’ll try to get pictures when the brighter lights come on because my iPhone sucks at picture taking.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, 2 wrasses of the same species oftentimes all end up being male. Your tank is a pretty good size, so you may get away with it. Wrasses also don't change sex overnight. You may have a me and a "sub male" at which point they may stay in those rolls. Best of luck either way!!

OP
OP
Msmith2813

Msmith2813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, 2 wrasses of the same species oftentimes all end up being male. Your tank is a pretty good size, so you may get away with it. Wrasses also don't change sex overnight. You may have a me and a "sub male" at which point they may stay in those rolls. Best of luck either way!!

Ok, I guess we’ll see how they get along. I’ll attempt to catch one if I have to. With what you said about the females often ending up male..is that the case with only two fish or any amount? Down the road I’m wanting to attempt to find one male golden rhomboid and two females?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much with any number. Some genera are much less likely to do so but fairies and flashers almost always do. Leopards are the most likely exception.

As large as your tank is it may be ok for a while but be prepared if aggression ensues.

OP
OP
Msmith2813

Msmith2813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in the long run there isn’t really a good reason to search out males and females because they’ll end up switching to males anyway?
So far there’s no aggression, all three of the wrasse have taken up residence in and sleep in the same small cave together.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 187 71.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back