Lubbock fairy wrasse

Solution
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoops
Forgot I had the book right next to me
IMG_7688.jpeg
Thank you that helps I believe I have a female transforming to the male it's identical to the one in the top right corner thanks for the response

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!! I'm not sure about the wrasse, but we're glad you're here!

Clownfish.gif

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Does anybody have pictures of the difference in a male and a female Lubbock fairy wrasse
Males have more bold marks/color but both look nearly the same

Upvote 0

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody have pictures of the difference in a male and a female Lubbock fairy wrasse
@i cant think has had both variants but I’m not sure whether he has had a female though he has certainly seen them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Female Lubbock Fairy Wrasses are hard to ID from other species in the Lubbocki complex. And then the two variants look identical as females so you can’t tell what variant you have until they mature.
Here were my two Lubbocki’s (I had both at the same time for a similar amount of time and unfortunately both have recently died just after eachother);
This is the Cebu Variation to C. lubbocki, this guy has a purple line through its body.
IMG_0601.jpeg

And this is the Indo Variant, the main difference is he has a bright yellow dorsal.
IMG_0593.jpeg

And now, here’s the female, these are red with a false eyespot on their caudal.
IMG_6880.jpeg

And for comparison, here is a female Cirrhilabrus flavidorsalis, although I believe the red is more muted.
IMG_6881.jpeg

Because the two lubbocki variants do overlap in their origin, they can ‘hybridise’ and it’s not uncommon to see Lubbock’s that hold both the purple line and the main body colouring of the Indonesian variant. I’ve also found it harder to find the true variants and not ‘hybrids’ personally.

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you that helps I believe I have a female transforming to the male it's identical to the one in the top right corner thanks for the response
Do you have a photo?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dgorney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Female Lubbock Fairy Wrasses are hard to ID from other species in the Lubbocki complex. And then the two variants look identical as females so you can’t tell what variant you have until they mature.
Here were my two Lubbocki’s (I had both at the same time for a similar amount of time and unfortunately both have recently died just after eachother);
This is the Cebu Variation to C. lubbocki, this guy has a purple line through its body.
IMG_0601.jpeg

And this is the Indo Variant, the main difference is he has a bright yellow dorsal.
IMG_0593.jpeg

And now, here’s the female, these are red with a false eyespot on their caudal.
IMG_6880.jpeg

And for comparison, here is a female Cirrhilabrus flavidorsalis, although I believe the red is more muted.
IMG_6881.jpeg

Because the two lubbocki variants do overlap in their origin, they can ‘hybridise’ and it’s not uncommon to see Lubbock’s that hold both the purple line and the main body colouring of the Indonesian variant. I’ve also found it harder to find the true variants and not ‘hybrids’ personally.
Thank you mine favors the males but it has the tail spot of a female
20230823_121346.jpg

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you mine favors the males but it has the tail spot of a female
20230823_121346.jpg
You have a Transitioning Indonesian Lubbocki :)

He should live for Atleast 4 years if not 5-6.

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%

Back