Keeping your aquarium water Crystal Clear?

Would you consider your aquarium water to be "Crystal Clear?"

• YES (tell us how you do it)

Votes: 337 49.5%
  • NO (join the club?)

Votes: 330 48.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 14 2.1%

• Total voters

SeahawkMom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Voted Yes. I have a 34 gallon AIO system, no sump. I use fine and coarse poly filtration. Chemipure Blue carbon along with my protein skimmer. 20% Water changes every other week. (I also have Rowaphos in media bag and lots of bio media - but that’s more to manage phosphates and nitrates not clarity).

jk1824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Would you consider your aquarium water to be "Crystal Clear?"

Yes

2. What are the best ways to keep your water consistently clear?

I have seen a few mention glass quality, yes it plays a big part. Apart from that its necessary to keep it clean because I have a bow front tank and stuff settles on it and also a film will develop on the water side of it regularly if I go too long without cleaning it. I use quality carbon, changed once per month and clean my filters once per week, change every two weeks. I also use Purigen but not sure how much this plays into it.

Other than that I don’t have any major sand stirrers, like a diamond goby. Had one of those before and it made a huge mess all the time... but my sand was clean! I do not use a skimmer either as others have stated it factors in to their clear water... but I only have a 32g nano.

Dreamkiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 20210401_165255.jpg
    20210401_165255.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 20210401_165251.jpg
    20210401_165251.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 20210211_114201.jpg
    20210211_114201.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 41

See Gee Sea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run activated carbon 24x7 and it’s clear so long as the &@#*! film algae I’ve been plagued with doesn’t build up. Still haven’t figured how to beat that!

Ramsey750

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have crystal clear water, but it's improving. I run a newly added aquatic life nano skimmer (pulling out some nasty stuff!) In my first rear chamber. Marine pure hexagons (I think that's the name) and ceramic media in mesh bags in 2nd rear chamber. Chaeto floating above a bag of carbon and one of Phos Guard sitting on a sandwich of sponge block/ filter floss/sponge block in the bottom of the 3rd. Still have a ways to go but water quality and clarity are definitely improving.
16185175556873893751168253032238.jpg

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll never have crystal water then. Lol
Id imagine super good water movement with little to no dead spots.

I do have a porcupine puffer and he owns his own frag table at this point. Have to clean it up almost daily if he's not chewing up his food into million pieces he's chewing up the live rock to get at baby clams or whatever is in rock haha.
Super messy fish but wife "loves him". He is an awesome fish though.

Young@Heart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will agree that Glass (Acrylic) Quality, Being Diligent about Cleaning Algae on the Glass/Acrylic. Filter Socks. Have not tried anything else - I am having some type of plumbing problem and because I bought the tank used, I am restricted on what I put under it - besides the sump. Pretty clear though.

Arthur_Dent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My water is pretty dang clear. Run a mesh filter sock, Octo 130 skimmer, small UV, and carbon, on a ~80 gallon total system. Also carbon dosing. No complaints with this approach.

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is not a silver bullet and one solution. I have a good skimmer, UV, Algae Turf Scrubber, Ozone, Carbon and change filter socks daily. I feel that the clarity of my tank is good but seeing some pictures on the web of some reef tanks still blows my mind. LOL.

Honestly if I was to get my next tank it would be acrylic as I hear they are the best - however the only drawback is it gets scratched a lot easier.

Someone commented on triggers / puffers; I do have a lot of triggers and they seem to be ok and not as messy as puffers IMO

JKBrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I switched from T5 to LED my water looked cloudy. So perhaps dialing back the lighting would help.

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. Passive GAC (mesh bags in higher flow area of sump). Filter floss in sump baffle. And UV. Was pretty crystal clear prior to UV ... but UV did add a final polish.

sledge760

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Would you consider your aquarium water to be "Crystal Clear?"
Absolutely not! I don't know how people do it! It feels like a magic trick that I'll never quite understand or obtain the skills for!
2. What are the best ways to keep your water consistently clear?
I guess if I had a larger tank, food might not put as much an affect. I suppose just constantly cleaning my filtration and even more water changes could provide results. I also don't own a protein skimmer, so getting one may help. I just never found them incredibly necessary for such a tiny tank though. (Fluval 13.5)

I do notice some good clarity a few hours after a water change. Then once my clowns start making a mess, it all starts over again.
Boy do I agree with you 100%. I can never get my water crystal clear. 50 years experience.

Hyde2406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope not clear at all to many filter feeders and sponges but not too bad considering... It's still really pretty
20210403_115307.jpg

Totlxtc

2 wheeled Idiot
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, filter sock and skimmer.

weamdog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I'd even want crystal clear but maybe I'm thinking about this wrong. Just as long as what's in the water is beneficial, then I'm OK. I have had people comment on my clearness so I must be doing something right. Zeovit w/carbon, skimmer, chaeto, and my own concoction of coral snow plus.

I remember cycling my 220 and adding some phytoplankton to give it a natural kick start. That was wild, had to run a UV to undo that experiment. The culture exploded with nothing to consume it so I couldn't see through the tank.

Now keeping the glass clear of coralline so I can see the water is a whole nother topic.

Last edited:

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did until I added a diamond goby. :D

My front glass is 3/4" low iron.
100 micron filter socks.
UV Filter
Carbon

i think filter socks is the biggest thing that does it. Carbon for any yellowing. UV to kill floating things and prevent blooms.

Sometimes when the fish are up close to the front and I'm looking at the right angle, it's almost like there is no glass or anything and like they are actually out of the tank.

But since I added a diamond goby....well there are always particles of sand floating around.

Back