Keithcorals refugium

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. From what I am seeing, your design seems to be as effective as a well made ATS.

Grant

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So to recap a 10 gallon fuge with macro algae only. 2 x 80 gallon display tanks. Sump with 30lbs liverock and activated carbon. And protein skimmer rated at 300 gallons. Doing anything else to reduce nitrates and phosphates like vodka or dosing something else?

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to know more about what you're planing I'd like to use ulva but haven't played with it much. Maybe I'll give it a try in my new system

The similarities between our designs are the smaller than usual water volume, mine only holds about 10 gallons for my 120.
The high intensity light, I'm using 30W eBay floodlights too! I'm tossing up between 10k and 6500k.
The high water flow.
And I'm not planning on adding any sand, and only a single small rock for pods to live in.
With that said, now that I think about there's not much else similar lol.
It's an external, look down display fuge that I plan to house caulerpa, dragons tongue and a few nicer display macros. Add a fish to finish it off and I'm done!

OP
OP
Keithcorals

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So to recap a 10 gallon fuge with macro algae only. 2 x 80 gallon display tanks. Sump with 30lbs liverock and activated carbon. And protein skimmer rated at 300 gallons. Doing anything else to reduce nitrates and phosphates like vodka or dosing something else?

That's it in a nutshell nothing's else for filtration and that seems to do the job even if I feed like crazy the chaeto just grows faster.

OP
OP
Keithcorals

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The similarities between our designs are the smaller than usual water volume, mine only holds about 10 gallons for my 120.
The high intensity light, I'm using 30W eBay floodlights too! I'm tossing up between 10k and 6500k.
The high water flow.
And I'm not planning on adding any sand, and only a single small rock for pods to live in.
With that said, now that I think about there's not much else similar lol.
It's an external, look down display fuge that I plan to house caulerpa, dragons tongue and a few nicer display macros. Add a fish to finish it off and I'm done!
Sounds cool I'd like a display fuge but for now I'm more interested in efficiency. I think the floodlight will work well for you the only problem I had with them is the driver going out but it was real easy to replace.

JMMJ13902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the secrets.

Are dosing anything for KH, Mag and CA?

If a refugium with cheatos, live rock and weekly water change can grow SPS like you well heck I'm quitting this hobby right away as I've been chasing my tail trying to get the best equipment to keep my system stable.

I see that you are using ati fixtures for your lights...what salt are you using sir?

I guess keeping it simple will do a trick.

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the secrets.

If a refugium with cheatos, live rock and weekly water change can grow SPS like you well heck I'm quitting this hobby right away as I've been chasing my tail trying to get the best equipment to keep my system stable.

I see that you are using ati fixtures for your lights...what salt are you using sir?

Keep it simple stupid. ;)

OP
OP
Keithcorals

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the secrets.

Good equipment is a good idea it's just a mater of what equipment is needed. I have a profilux dosing pump for 2 part and a reef filler pump for doesing kalk at night to help with ph. I also think a good skimmer is more than worth it. I do very very few water changes but I was using red sea coral pro. The last few I did with tropic Marin pro because I'm now going with the Triton system it is basically what I was already doing just without the ability to do such extensive water test. You are after the right thing stability. That's why I like the use of a refugium over media. With a refugium you can control the uptake of nutrients with the length of the photo period and the algae will also use more nutrients if they are available instead of becoming depleted faster like nutrient absorbing media.

OP
OP
Keithcorals

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the refugium I've kept it simple but my system over time has gotten a little complicated. I'm hoping to streamline things a little with my new build

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds cool I'd like a display fuge but for now I'm more interested in efficiency. I think the floodlight will work well for you the only problem I had with them is the driver going out but it was real easy to replace.

Thanks! One more similarity, besides a skimmer, carbon, and rock, mine will be my only source of filtration too.
You know what they say about great minds :)
I'll have to look into replacing the drivers. Thanks for the tip. How lion have you been using those lights?

OP
OP
Keithcorals

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! One more similarity, besides a skimmer, carbon, and rock, mine will be my only source of filtration too.
You know what they say about great minds :)
I'll have to look into replacing the drivers. Thanks for the tip. How lion have you been using those lights?
I've used them for around 2 years but the drivers only lasted about the first six months

Last edited:
OP
OP
Keithcorals

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to the keys and got a little sidetracked this weekend but I'll get a pic of the "magic" baffle tomorrow. There is no way to get to the refugium that's on the tank to take a pic because the side is painted black to block light from the sump but I have an extra 10gal I'll do a mock up with tomorrow.

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So any pics of the top secret baffle?
I too am eager to have a look at said secret baffle.
Also, I couldnt help but notice you stress the importance that your Chaeto is kept "spinning." To spin is to fully rotate 360 degrees, as opposed to say, a 180 degree rotation back and forth like a wash cycle. So I have to ask: what keeps your Chaeto spinning, and what is the advantage to a spin over a rotation, or a tumble?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Keithcorals

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am eager to have a look at said secret baffle.
Also, I couldnt help but notice you stress the importance that your Chaeto is kept "spinning." To spin is to fully rotate 360 degrees, as opposed to say, a 180 degree rotation back and forth like a wash cycle. So I have to ask: what keeps your Chaeto spinning, and what is the advantage to a spin over a rotation, or a tumble?

It spins because of water being blown under the baffle and the water going around the chaeto keeps it from hitting the sides. This is better than tumbling because when it hits the sides over and over it brakes off some pieces and also causes it to grow denser which doesn't allow as much light to get to the center. Also it looks cool :)

OP
OP
Keithcorals

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know where the red algae came from I'm guessing it came in on something I didn't dip as well as I should have. It doesn't seem to hurt anything and I've never found it growing in the main tanks. Possibly because the tangs would make short work of it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back