Keithcorals refugium

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the best part of your refugium, is the incredible coral you grow. Lots of different ways to do things in this hobby, and you have obviously hit one of those sweet spots with your set up and regimen. Thank you for sharing and kudos for your success and willingness to share.

OP
OP
Keithcorals

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the best part of your refugium, is the incredible coral you grow. Lots of different ways to do things in this hobby, and you have obviously hit one of those sweet spots with your set up and regimen. Thank you for sharing and kudos for your success and willingness to share.
Thanks I'm happy to share
I have to agree the refugium isn't too fancy but it gets the job done.

Any pics of the baffle? (Or at least a drawing to help me understand the concept)

I'll have pics and all the info you'd need to build one tomorrow

RacingTiger03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's interesting you've had such success with that. I ran a small HOB years ago as a mini-fuge similiar to this. It worked great, and I was usually trimming the algae down weekly. I didn't re-invoke that when I upgraded to a 55G, and had some trouble with hair algae in that tank. This time around I'm giving carbon dosing a shot, but if that doesn't work out, I'll be re-visiting this.. lol.

SchnitzelReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Def interested in seeing how u keep the chaeto spinning. Mine just settles in the corner of my fuge, and traps detritus over time. Was thinking of ditching the fuge all together.

OP
OP
Keithcorals

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the best I could do today but I'll build a new one sometime in the next few weeks and post the build here when I do.
The black vertical line is where the baffle goes the squiggly line along the top is the water level

That's just an extra pump I had laying around it's a little smaller than the one I use but it gives you an idea of where the pump needs to go and needs to face the bottom of the tank so the water spread out even further to keep the algae from hitting the bottom. Once the algae starts spending the momentum of the water in the section with the algae keeps it spinning and from bumping into the sides without the baffle there it will not stay in the same position. I tried it without a baffle before I ever got to this point and it didn't work. The baffle is 8 inches tall and is placed 2 inches from the bottom also leaving about 2 inches from the top and 12 inches back from the sides that holds the algae

OP
OP
Keithcorals

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The feed line and the drain work best on the side where the pump is and it really doesn't matter if they are close together because of the high amout of flow in the fuge. I only run around 150gph to my fuge there is no point in running much more because there is a limit to how fast the algae can remove nutrients as long as the entire volume of the system goes through it about once an hour that should be more than sufficient.

TheReefKeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what does the starting clump of algae look like? Too small it seems like it would get rolled over the top and clog the pump LOL.

saintperez

Santiago
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I'm gathering you have a slow flow rate through the refugium but using the pump for the thrust on the spin. Just not clear where your return is in relation to your powerhead.

saintperez

Santiago
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Keithcorals

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I'm gathering you have a slow flow rate through the refugium but using the pump for the thrust on the spin. Just not clear where your return is in relation to your powerhead.
Its designed to be plumbed into a sump so the feedline and return are just simple bulkhead it doesn't matter which side they go on the end of the tank or the side as long as they're on the side where the circulation pump is so they don't interfere with the algae spinning

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fuge plumbing

only question i have is the fuge fed by a pump from the sump and return allowed on its own back to sump?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back