KELP!!! I need somebody!!!

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my beautiful wife and I spent the last few days at Disneyland with the kids and grandkids and also at Huntington Beach. I saw some nice bunches of kelp floating from the pier. When we walked down to the beach there was a nice sized bunch that had just washed ashore. I thought……I’d pay $50 for this. And,…..I wonder if it would grow in my tank. And finally, is it legal to take this prize back to Arizona? I set it free. :confused:

1. What would you think?
2. What would you do?
0789314F-5F57-47AB-963D-E32583631E0E.jpeg

Last edited:

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So my beautiful wife and I spent the last few days at Disneyland with the kids and grandkids and also at Huntington Beach. I saw some nice bunches if kelp floating from the pier. When we walked down to the beach there was a nice sized bunch that had just washed ashore. I thought……I’d pay $50 for this. And,…..I wonder if it would grow in my tank. And finally, is it legal to take this prize back to Arizona? I set it free. :confused:

1. What would you think?
2. What would you do?
It is legal but if you do take it make sure to keep it moist with saltwater in a bag so it doesn’t die. https://wildlife.ca.gov/Conservation/Marine/Kelp/Recreational-Harvest
For a variety of reasons I wouldn’t take it but it’s your choice. Here’s some info on growing kelp. https://inhousefarmer.com/growing-kelp-in-aquarium/

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my beautiful wife and I spent the last few days at Disneyland with the kids and grandkids and also at Huntington Beach. I saw some nice bunches if kelp floating from the pier. When we walked down to the beach there was a nice sized bunch that had just washed ashore. I thought……I’d pay $50 for this. And,…..I wonder if it would grow in my tank. And finally, is it legal to take this prize back to Arizona? I set it free. :confused:

1. What would you think?
2. What would you do?
If that was me, I would’ve read into it and if it was legal, collect a good chunk of that. If it wasn’t legal then I’d go to a closer beach to home and collect it if there is any drifting and it’s warmer water.
Then as said above, I’d keep it moist in either a bag or a bucket making sure it doesn’t suffer from whatever the algae version of Bleaching is (Melting away?).

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, just for me only, I dont feel guilt about such things, corporations and rich people have destroyed our planet to take advantage of all resources, and continue to do so. You just want to take one piece of seaweed home and care for it! Not to mention the seaweed is discarded on the beach and will die if just left there.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, just for me only, I dont feel guilt about such things, corporations and rich people have destroyed our planet to take advantage of all resources, and continue to do so. You just want to take one piece of seaweed home and care for it! Not to mention the seaweed is discarded on the beach and will die if just left there.
Definitely! If I could take home seaweed or any form of macro algae from around the UK shore I would in a heartbeat because I know I’d be caring for it and not killing it.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely! If I could take home seaweed or any form of macro algae from around the UK shore I would in a heartbeat because I know I’d be caring for it and not killing it.
You can! Have you seen the Mark's Aquatics YouTube channel? It's mostly freshwater, but he set up a super nice UK cold water tank full of macros and other near-shore life. I forget if he is in England or Wales.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can! Have you seen the Mark's Aquatics YouTube channel? It's mostly freshwater, but he set up a super nice UK cold water tank full of macros and other near-shore life. I forget if he is in England or Wales.
I remember seeing a video of his tank, I believe he is in wales but we still get the exact same life just south of that. I’d absolutely love the room for a native tank, it sounds like the perfect way to “farm” algae but also see how native species behave with eachother.

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I could have a temperate water tank, but even then, giant kelp is probably not a great choice. Especially kelp that has broken from its holdfast. Magnificent to see at the Monterey bay aquarium and others that have the size to show it off.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I could have a temperate water tank, but even then, giant kelp is probably not a great choice. Especially kelp that has broken from its holdfast. Magnificent to see at the Monterey bay aquarium and others that have the size to show it off.
Definitely is a beautiful thing to see in aquariums with the height to show it. Sometimes I wonder whether I could find a nice sized tank in terms of height and not just the length.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely is a beautiful thing to see in aquariums with the height to show it. Sometimes I wonder whether I could find a nice sized tank in terms of height and not just the length.
I’ve helped maintain some larger, “taller” tanks. And having the right tools to clean the glass down near the sandbed can be a real challenge.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back