Kessil 160we - Can't Shake The Shimmer

Joeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm building a new lps/sps 60gal cube (24x24x24) and was planning on running a hybrid light with 4 T5's and one of the new XR15's. I'm having second thoughts about the XR15 because I'm a bit worried that I'll miss the Kessil shimmer that I really enjoy.

The obvious solution would be to go with either a Kessil 360we or 360x instead of the XR15 but I already pwn a Kessil 160we plus the original spectral controller so I'm wondering if I can leverage what I already have and just buy another 160we. I can't seem to find any posts of people who have gone this route which is admittedly a bit specific. I think a lot of people use a tank upgrade to step up to some new toys which is fun but part of me wonders if I can retain the look I like and save $XXX at the same time.

Do you think a pair of 160's and 4 T5's would be enough to support SPS?

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think based on the par charts and maps I've seen I'd go with an A360WE if you are interested in keeping with Kessils. I would also supplement with T5s also. I am putting together the lighting for a custom tank 72x30x24. I am using 4 A360WEs and 8 T5 bulbs. Overkill? Yea probably, but I eventually want to keep high end anemones.

Cjshank0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I have 2 160we’s on my 40 breeder QT tank that has since turned into a frag tank. Everything goes there before the display. Some SPS frags have been in for a few months and showing good signs of growth, I just don’t need anymore bonsai. Works exceptionally well IMO. Maybe better because you can focus them both where you deem necessary rather than 1 light leaving the edges at your sand darker than the middle of the tank.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 3x 160 and t5 hybrid on my DT. I can say in that setup the T5's are doing the heavy lifting, but I did it partially to re-use my nano tank lights, and because I love the shimmer profile.

Reeffragger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um i run 4 t5s on my 125g tank. I have 15 different subtype of acropora.. 9 other sps.monitporas.. and 10+ zoas and 10+ LPS..

I keep my t5s 8 inchs from the water.. and i mount all my acros about 7-10 inchs from the surfsce.. I have good growth on all my acros and i can color up any browned out acros from the local fish store in weeks. I actually just bought a walt disney. Pink lemonaid. And a rainbow mili.. and they were under Kessil LEDS for 6 months and didnt grow at all... Litterally i have pics from 6 months ago of them. 3 weeks in my tank theyre already encrusting on the rock under my 4 t5s

Some before and after pics of a red planet i got.. Its was all green.. no upward growth at all.. reject coral in the pile i got for cheap... It turned into this in just a few months.. same with others. 4 T5s is plenty of light for any 24 inch tall tank. 3rd pic is my tricolor valida.. Grows very fast and when i got it was half this size.. and a pale white.brown.. Half my acros were browned out under Kessil LEDS in the local reef store.

The shimmer is cool but all it is are shadows hense why t5s are more uniform and just better overall

I wanna go to 6 though but thats only because the very very back of my tank is a little dim if i tilt my fixture i can see the tank brighten back there.

20190617_215544.jpg
20200423_194841.jpg
20200427_193134.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Joeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your thoughtful comments. I think I'm going to give it a go with a single 160 & four t5's and then adjust if necessary. Since I'm building my own hood I'm going to plan on leaving enough room for another pair of t5's and will fit angled risers in the front and back so more light is directed into the tank.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back