Kessil A160WE/Spectral Controller issue.

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a Kessil A160WE with Spectral controller and gooseneck a couple weeks ago from another local reefer. When I first got it I played around with it and everything seemed to be working. I finally got around to setting the light up on my tank last night and discovered that the spectral controller will not control the color. Tried both program and manual modes. Also tried using a known working aux cable so I don't think that's it. The light works perfectly without the controller cable in but I still don't know if it's the light or the controller. I was thinking about reflashing the firmware but I figured I'd ask if anyone's had this issue.

OP
OP
donnievaz

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reflashed the firmware and bought a brand new aux cable. No luck. Sent an email yesterday to Kessil, crickets... not unlike this thread lol

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had that issue for a bit and noticed if I pulled the cable partially out it would correct this issue. Was a trs cable, but apparently the ring spacing was a little off.

OP
OP
donnievaz

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had that issue for a bit and noticed if I pulled the cable partially out it would correct this issue. Was a trs cable, but apparently the ring spacing was a little off.

I do see the color change when pulling the cable out or pushing it in.

Ended up changing the cable and worked perfectly

Do you remember what brand cable you used by chance?

OP
OP
donnievaz

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't imagine that there's much if any variation across different cable brands but I guess anything's possible. I might have to find my dial caliper and check all the cables I have tonight. Also thinking that maybe the jack in either the light or controller is dirty. Not sure how I could clean either one.

K100286

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I call Kessil whenever I have an issue, and their customer service is excellent. Phone number is on their website.

OP
OP
donnievaz

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I call Kessil whenever I have an issue, and their customer service is excellent. Phone number is on their website.

I got a reply to my email yesterday. They're on it. Probably won't know anything until Monday.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good to hear. I've called them in the past and they've always been very responsive and helpful. If your light is under warranty, they'll send you a replacement first and then you send the old one back. I've never had an issue with their customer support.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear. I've called them in the past and they've always been very responsive and helpful. If your light is under warranty, they'll send you a replacement first and then you send the old one back. I've never had an issue with their customer support.
+1
I send a email and follow up with a phone call. They've never let me down and have been great at giving me honest advise to what I want to accomplish.

Also, I needed another 90 degree cable link and got one from Best Buy and it worked perfectly. Their like standard two channel audio links.

OP
OP
donnievaz

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No luck, the controller and light are out of warranty. I'm going to try to find a local reefer with a light and controller so I can at least narrow down whether the problem is with the light or the controller. They did offer me a 25% discount on a new controller which I thought was a nice gesture but I need to figure out which one's the culprit.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No luck, the controller and light are out of warranty. I'm going to try to find a local reefer with a light and controller so I can at least narrow down whether the problem is with the light or the controller. They did offer me a 25% discount on a new controller which I thought was a nice gesture but I need to figure out which one's the culprit.
Do you have a local reef store that sells Kessil? They could help you find out if it's the controller or light.

OP
OP
donnievaz

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a local reef store that sells Kessil? They could help you find out if it's the controller or light.

I'd probably have better luck finding a fellow reefer. The two stores I mainly use are 45 minutes away each in opposite directions.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd probably have better luck finding a fellow reefer. The two stores I mainly use are 45 minutes away each in opposite directions.
Good Luck!

Let us know what the problem was :)

Back