Kessil A160WE/Spectral Controller issue.

OP
OP
donnievaz

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've eliminated the controller out of the equation. I don't know why I didn't think of it before but last night it occurred to me to test the output with my multimeter. 9.9v at 1oo% and 4.9v at 50% on both channels. This was through the cable. Then I decided to clean the jack on the light with an interdental brush and some alcohol. That SEEMED to fix it initially but it wouldn't stay working. Sideways pressure on the plug in the jack would get it to work temporarily but It wouldn't hold. Looks like it either need a better cleaning or it's got a bad solder joint. Now I have to figure out how to get it apart. It's not very obvious.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've eliminated the controller out of the equation. I don't know why I didn't think of it before but last night it occurred to me to test the output with my multimeter. 9.9v at 1oo% and 4.9v at 50% on both channels. This was through the cable. Then I decided to clean the jack on the light with an interdental brush and some alcohol. That SEEMED to fix it initially but it wouldn't stay working. Sideways pressure on the plug in the jack would get it to work temporarily but It wouldn't hold. Looks like it either need a better cleaning or it's got a bad solder joint. Now I have to figure out how to get it apart. It's not very obvious.
Thanks for the update!
Will keep fingers crossed for you on finding an easy fix in the unit.

Tyler Caviness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it stuck on blue or white? If you have the color turned to the right, the controller won't change the color past where the knobs are turned to. So if you have the color knob turned all the way to white, the controller can't turn the light blue. So check to make sure that your knobs are turned all the way down

OP
OP
donnievaz

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it stuck on blue or white? If you have the color turned to the right, the controller won't change the color past where the knobs are turned to. So if you have the color light turned all the way to white, the controller can't turn the light blue. So check to make sure that your knobs are turned all the way down

That's not true, the dials are completely disabled when a control cable is inserted.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not true, the dials are completely disabled when a control cable is inserted.
+1
I'm running 4 Kessil's with 1 controller and the knobs do nothing once the controller is plugged into the first unit. :)

I had to get into the a350 unit back in 2012. I had to pull off the little round rubber thingy's to get to the screws, but it did not take long to pull apart that old a350.

Last edited:

Tyler Caviness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try it. I had an a160 hooked up until about three months ago, and maybe I'm mixing up the color and the intensity, but when I first began using my controller, either the color or the intensity wouldn't go all the way down because the knob was turned up.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try it. I had an a160 hooked up until about three months ago, and maybe I'm mixing up the color and the intensity, but when I first began using my controller, either the color or the intensity wouldn't go all the way down because the knob was turned up.
tagging on this post. :)

OP
OP
donnievaz

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'll give it a shot tonight...

Tyler Caviness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG

So I took a video and then realized R2R wouldn't let me upload it. I just took these pics with the controller on manual for port 1
In the first pic, according to the controller the light should be blue and off. But both knobs are wide open.
In the second pic, color knob is all the way down, but intensity knob 100% and it doesn't matter what the controller does.
I'm saying that the controller can't go down past where the knobs are. Might not be your problem at all, but it's something that confused me for a few minutes when I first got my controller going

OP
OP
donnievaz

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG

So I took a video and then realized R2R wouldn't let me upload it. I just took these pics with the controller on manual for port 1
In the first pic, according to the controller the light should be blue and off. But both knobs are wide open.
In the second pic, color knob is all the way down, but intensity knob 100% and it doesn't matter what the controller does.
I'm saying that the controller can't go down past where the knobs are. Might not be your problem at all, but it's something that confused me for a few minutes when I first got my controller going

Thanks for taking the time to do this. It's very interesting because that's not the way it's supposed to work. I'm definitely going to play with mine tonight although I'm 99% sure my problem is with my control input jack.

I just noticed that it looks like you have the control cable in the output jack vs. the input. It's kind of hard to tell from the pic though.

Tyler Caviness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're exactly right! I never noticed that. I just plugged it in the input and you're right that the knobs don't work at all. That explains why it did that for me, and it's interesting that the controller would work at all that way.
I guess that means this isn't the source of your issue, but at least I learned something!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG

@Tyler Caviness
You have your controller plugged into output. It's suppose to jack into the input port. :)

OP
OP
donnievaz

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, looks like I'm in business. Took it apart last night and the jacks were rock solid, everything is covered in some sort of siliconized goo so there wasn't really much I could do. Got some contact cleaner and foam tipped cleaning swabs and went to town cleaning the inside of the jack. So far it seems to have fixed the issue. (knock on wood)
File Mar 23, 10 23 53 AM.jpeg
File Mar 23, 10 24 24 AM.jpeg
File Mar 23, 10 25 27 AM.jpeg

scott11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update? I am having similar issues, but I cannot even get the light to turn on unless the controller is in the output jack. Tried cleaning with alcohol, but that didn't help. Have a email in to Kessil, but not sure what to do.

OP
OP
donnievaz

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update? I am having similar issues, but I cannot even get the light to turn on unless the controller is in the output jack. Tried cleaning with alcohol, but that didn't help. Have a email in to Kessil, but not sure what to do.

Mine's still going strong, was definitely a dirty jack.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 160 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back