Kessil A360x fan noise?

Mattg023

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody else have the new a360x? I turned mine on for the first time the other day and they were both pretty loud. I was expecting for 450$ a piece they’d be silent lights. But when I emailed Kessil and sent a video they told me that it sounds normal.

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody else have the new a360x? I turned mine on for the first time the other day and they were both pretty loud. I was expecting for 450$ a piece they’d be silent lights. But when I emailed Kessil and sent a video they told me that it sounds normal.
I can hear the fan, but I have to be near the tank. Otherwise I can't hear it. And I have two on the tank. So doesn't really seem loud to me.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can hear the fan, but I have to be near the tank. Otherwise I can't hear it. And I have two on the tank. So doesn't really seem loud to me.

I have to be near the tank too (and I have 4). But my tank is also pretty loud.

I will tell you that they get louder the more the light is turned up. More intensity needs more cooling. But I only run mine at 60% intensity max.

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to be near the tank too (and I have 4). But my tank is also pretty loud.

I will tell you that they get louder the more the light is turned up. More intensity needs more cooling. But I only run mine at 60% intensity max.
Same here. Mine at most run at 60% intensity. And I usually keep it blue except when cleaning.

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are pretty quiet (I have 3 mounted over my tank). I only notice a really low whir if I shut down all my pumps and the lights are at peak intensity.

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious to hear how this ends. Did you take it apart and give it a little cleaning?

OP
OP
M

Mattg023

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious to hear how this ends. Did you take it apart and give it a little cleaning?

Yea I feel like I really shouldn’t need to take them apart after buying them brand new.. I did blow them out with a dust blower like recommended. And no change in fan noise.

cmozz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the a360x Refugium one at 100% intensity and I don't hear it over my skimmer and other equipment in the sump.

U

User1

View Badges
3 here and I can't hear them at all. In fact I was going to say I thought they had passive cooling :) I don't hear a peep out of them and my tank is in my den/office which I work every day in.

OP
OP
M

Mattg023

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 here and I can't hear them at all. In fact I was going to say I thought they had passive cooling :) I don't hear a peep out of them and my tank is in my den/office which I work every day in.
Nice.. that’s how it should be. For 450$ a pop I expect some silence lol

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also thought they were passive cooling until I shut everything off but the lights one day doing maintenance after they’d been on full intensity for a couple hours. There was a real faint whir that I couldn’t figure out the source of then realized it was the lights! Not at all noticeable unless the room is dead silent.

Grill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 15g cube that sits about 4 feet away from me in my office. (quietest room in the house) I went from a passive cooled dead silent Lumini pixie 30 to the A360x. I was use to hearing absolutely nothing from the tank and now hear a very faint whirl from the Kessil. I was surprised that even on the lowest possible setting that the fan remains on. Its so faint Im sure I wont notice it a few days from now.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got an a360x today. I was expecting that it should have a "smart" fan (the more light intensity the higher fanspeed), but i noticed that with even just the moonlight on, the fanspeed is exactly the same as on higher intensity's.
Is this normal?

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine run silent.

newbie2014

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had mine for about a month. Intensity set at 100%, 9hrs/day. Yes, there’s a “quiet” whir fan sound whenever the fan is on. But I don’t hear it unless I sit right next to the tank, and my tank runs quietly.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the feeling that people who claim they don't hear the fan are either deaf or their tank makes more noise.
The nanotank i have it on is 100% dead silent quiet and i can hear the Kessil through my whole living room.

The 70$ Chinese LED it replaced was dead silent because it had a variable fanspeed. The Kessil even with only the moonlight on runs the fan at 100% which is ridiculous.

Just got a reply from Kessil and indeed, the fan is not variable. It always runs at 100%. Unbelievable for such an expensive light.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked around amoung some Youtube reviewers/owners and more than one claims that theirs is dead silent, only with your ear close to it they hear it.

I'm starting to wonder, do we all run the same firmware? Could Kessil have changed the fanspeed?

I'm running firmware V1.3 and can hear my fan well. The ones who have a dead silent unit, which firmware do you run? You can check it in the app under 'settings > about > A360X'.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 171 73.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 41 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back