Kessil A80 Tuna vs Fluval Marine 3.0

CaptainW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mixed reef Fluval Evo 13.5g that's been running for 6mo and just got a new light for free I'm not sure if I should use.

Right now I have a Fluval Marine 3.0 light that seems to be good, but the Kessil A80 I got looks pretty cool as well and seems to have better reviews.

In my shoes, would you buy a Kessil controller and swap the lights out?

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO the Fluval light is probably brighter and provides better coverage than a single A 80 but I think the A 80 is a more premium light with a better aesthetic and higher quality components. You should still probably use 2 for a tank your size which may make them cost prohibitive. If you want to know what I would do, I have 3 A 80s on my 12-gallon tall.

OP
OP
CaptainW

CaptainW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO the Fluval light is probably brighter and provides better coverage than a single A 80 but I think the A 80 is a more premium light with a better aesthetic and higher quality components. You should still probably use 2 for a tank your size which may make them cost prohibitive. If you want to know what I would do, I have 3 A 80s on my 12-gallon tall.

Thanks Jaron - after a couple of weeks I agree. Later that day I put the Kessil on and took the Fluval off to see the difference. The Kessil looks noticeably better with the shimmer and it's cool being able to take the lid fully off when I'm around the tank but there does seem to be less intensity. I got impulsive and bought the controller, and it's been on the tank since.

I'm considering buying a second A80, but right now it seems like everything is going well. I don't have any high par corals though. If I get a larger tank I'm definitely going to try one of their larger lights.

OP
OP
CaptainW

CaptainW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to hear. I love the A80s. It is the only light this size from a premium manufacture. They also make great fish-only lights for large aquariums.
Good stuff. Have you ever tested the PAR?

This thread popped up below with a similar conversation:

ProvidenceTidalReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used an A80 tuna blue for refugium once. Worked out well with programmable spectrum and intensity. If they can grow macro algea they can grow corals.

Most corals dont recieve huge amounts of light. Putting 2 would help with shadowing,

But now you are creating another problem with adding an additional hot spots and increasing overall Par of tank.

So many factors to think about. I wouldnt increase the demand if there is no need for it right now.

Let it grow out more and add light if needed in furture.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back