Macroalgae light for 5 gallon display?

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a Fluval Evo 5 gallon seahorse and soon to be macroalgae display tank. From what I’ve been able to discern, the stock light isn’t very good, so I’m looking at an upgrade. Some of the macroalgae I’ve been looking at are considered “high light”.

Any ideas on a light for this? Considered the Kessil a80 but I haven’t been able to find a used one.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a Fluval Evo 5 gallon seahorse and soon to be macroalgae display tank. From what I’ve been able to discern, the stock light isn’t very good, so I’m looking at an upgrade. Some of the macroalgae I’ve been looking at are considered “high light”.

Any ideas on a light for this? Considered the Kessil a80 but I haven’t been able to find a used one.
Honestly I think the stock light will probably work. I am growing 3 varieties of macro under a Fluval 2.5 gallon stock light.

That said my Kessil A80 also grew macros just fine.

charliedarling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a kessil a80 and a Fluval Plant 3.0 on my 8 gal macro build and they’re working great. Fluval for the 6500k spectrum and a80 on lowest setting for shimmer

OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honestly I think the stock light will probably work. I am growing 3 varieties of macro under a Fluval 2.5 gallon stock light.

That said my Kessil A80 also grew macros just fine.
I was thinking that the stock light could work. Maybe I will try it and keep an eye on them to see if I need to upgrade. Any tips on what to signs to look for when there isn’t enough light? I know too much usually they go white/“bleach”.
I have a kessil a80 and a Fluval Plant 3.0 on my 8 gal macro build and they’re working great. Fluval for the 6500k spectrum and a80 on lowest setting for shimmer
Interesting idea, that doesn’t take up too much space?

charliedarling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking that the stock light could work. Maybe I will try it and keep an eye on them to see if I need to upgrade. Any tips on what to signs to look for when there isn’t enough light? I know too much usually they go white/“bleach”.

Interesting idea, that doesn’t take up too much space?
Nice. I have both on their lowest setting and so far so good. They just barely fit over my tank. I’ve heard of some Macroalgae displays being lit with Twinstar for nano displays and being perfect. My idea is sort of a dual setup to grow both soft corals and the Macroalgae; I’m just sort of newly trying it out so we will see how it goes. So far, new growth on the macros and no bleaching or clear tissue on anything.

Not sure what par Macroalgae need, probably not as much as corals.

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how would you have them set up? one on top of another? im thinking of doing the same

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back