Kessil AP700 not working

Ardee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just moved my tank on Sunday and when they set tank back up my light won't turn on. How long can fish live with no light? I am trying to get it working but am having no luck. Does anyone know what might have happened? It does not appear damaged at all. Thanks for any help.

jrr98002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're only talking fish, fish can live without light. Coral are a different story. As far as what might be wrong with your light, I really couldn't answer that one.

USCG CWO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replied in your other thread but I'll just post here too. Is it plugged into an actual outlet or controller? If controller make sure it's the right controller outlet. I've done that before!! Also make sure it's finding the network if you are controlling through the app. You may have to reset it and reinstall your programming. Happened to me the other day.

Drew Fitzgerald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
** Broken Kessil AP700 Fan not spinning Update **

Previously, I wrote that I actually have 3 Kessil AP700's. Two out of the Three have the same issues.

It started when the lights started making a humming / ticking noise.

After inspecting the unit I noticed the fan was spinning very weakly and not blowing out much air.
Eventually, the fan would just stop. This made the light switch off because it was overheating.
After searching for advice online, it appears to be a common issue with these lights.

Now, before people jump in and say "did I try using compressed air to blow out the dust" or "have I tried using WD40" or even "take the unit apart and give it a really good clean"...Yes, I did all of this and maybe it helped for a while but a few weeks later the same issue would happen again.

Clearly, the fan needed to be replaced.

I reached out to Kessil and they explained that the fans could not, in fact, be replaced!! They also explained that as the lights were also no longer under warranty, I would need to replace the whole unit...Sorry, both units!!

For such an expensive light I was shocked that a light unit, that retails for £800-£900 would need replacing because a £20 fan stopped spinning?

Anyway, I was not about to bin the lights due to a fan problem, and seeing I am not a tech-savvy guy, I reached out to a computer company here in Guernsey to see if they could help to fix them.

The guy came around and looked at one of the lights and could not see a problem replacing the fan and took one of them away with him to see if he could find a solution.

Today Sam (the guy that said he might be able to replace the fans) returned the dead Kessil AP700 that had a broken/burnt-out fan.

The good news is, he did manage to replace the fan and the once dead AP700 is back up and running. What is even better, the new fan he used to replace the broken one with, actually runs the lights cooler and is very quite. So, it's even better than it was before!!

I am glad I did not poke around the unit myself as he mentioned that it was not that straightforward to get the old fan out and he also needed to micro-solder some wires and then coat them with a waterproof solution... all sounds far too "fiddly" for me.

Sam kindly documented the process for me.
Sadly, It's in a word document which I can't see how to post it here.
If anyone knows how to do it, let me know and I happily post it if it helps.

If you are having or have a having or have a dead Kessil AP700 I would strongly recommend reaching out to Sam.

If you want to reach out to Sam (the man) his company is called https://techy.gg/

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 60 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.4%
Back