View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kessil x controller
3 360x
2 160
1 360 we
Will the controller operate all six lights?
Currently, I have the 360 X with a controller, and the others are just on the timer.
Will the controller operate all six?

ナイトコア猫

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. At minimum, each EB832 strip operates 8 AC sockets. You can have all of them on a single EB832 ("Config A"), but it's better to stack lights functionally ("Config B").

This is what I recommend and actually use:

• I use Config B below.
  • I recommend Config C with all wifi for the Kessil 360_ series lights, and controlling the Kessil 160 x2 using abrupt but lazy EB832-controlled AC socket ON/OFF output.

These are all the options in detail:

Neptune EB832 "Config A":
  • Simplest deployment
  • Highest use of individual sockets (perhaps wasteful of sockets)
ac_socket_0Kessil 360x
ac_socket_1Kessil 360x
ac_socket_2Kessil 360x
ac_socket_3Kessil 160
ac_socket_4Kessil 160
ac_socket_5Kessil 360we
ac_socket_6
ac_socket_7

Neptune EB832 ("Config B"):

• Less use of sockets
  • Within maximum power window of single socket
  • Use an AC power splitter to split a single socket into additional sockets

ac_socket_0Kessil 360x
Kessil 360x
Kessil 360x
Kessil 160
Kessil 160
Kessil 360we
ac_socket_1
ac_socket_2
ac_socket_3
ac_socket_4
ac_socket_5
ac_socket_6
ac_socket_7

Kessil Spectral Controller X "Config C"—NOT Fully Compatible

Kessil Spectral Controller X <===> Wifi DongleWifi dongle 0Kessil 360x
Wifi dongle 1Kessil 360x
Wifi dongle 2Kessil 360x
Wifi dongle 3Kessil 360we
Neptune APEX VDM or Kessil Spectral Controller X <===> 3.5 mm Splitter3.5 mm output 0Kessil 160
3.5 mm output 1Kessil 160

You can also deploy Kessil 360x and 360we onto normal AC sockets use Spectral Controller X with wireless:

You will need 0-10V cords for the Kessil 160, however. You can then either connect the Kessil 160 lights to the Kessil Spectral Controller X via the appropriate cable:

Kessil Spectral Controller <===> Kessil 160

Neptune Apex <===> Kessil 160

Control via Neptune APEX VDM (Config D):

Each of lighting intensity and lighting spectrum requires 1 VDM channel.
If you only care about intensity or only spectrum, then you'll only need 1 VDM channel. There are 4 VDM channels on a single Neptune APEX, configured as 2 VDM sockets. Though there are cables that produce 2 3.5mm VDM outputs using a single VDM socket, these can be sketchy sometimes. In my experience with different products, sometimes this doesn't work well, possibly due to cable used.

1673169413455.png

Though there are 4 VDM outputs, there are only 2 physical VDM sockets on the Neptune APEX.

VDM_1: For lighting intensity and lighting spectrum

Neptune VDM socket <==> Split to 2 3.5mm <==> Split each 3.5mm to 6 sockets (1 per light)

There is a product on BRS available out-of-box; however, it has a few concerning reviews. In the past, I've used the product, and some worked and some did not. You may risk one of either lighting intensity or lighting spectrum not working if the cable is poor. The cleaner solution is to produce your own 3.5 mm -terminated cable using this:

Make note of the wiring instructions. From the reviews on BRS, it appears non-standard / backwards.

You'll then split the 3.5 mm, 1 for each of your 6 lights:

A lazy option is to waste VDM sockets:

VDM_0: For lighting intensity:

Neptune VDM socket <==> Split to 2 3.5mm <==> Split each 3.5mm to 6 sockets (1 per light)

VDM_1: For lighting spectrum:

You'll use a cable like this:

This will work for sure, but takes up both VDM sockets on the Neptune APEX. You can always purchase more sockets, and this is more likely to be a robust design.

Same as before, you'll split your 3.5 mm lines for each of your lights:

ナイトコア猫

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ナイトコア猫 actual setup reference example:

Carefully pay attention to socket type of the power cord splitter. Also make note of amount of power required both per EB832 socket and summed total. There is a power trip reset button upper left behind—hold for a few moments to reset power trip.

1673174169054.png

If you want more control of individual sockets, then I recommend using Spectral Controller X with the 4 wireless dongles, one for each Kessil 360 type light. The Kessil 160 type lights will not work with any wireless dongle; for those 2 lights I recommend timer mode / AC socket. This makes the best aesthetics and control, and least messy wires to manage.

rgulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kessil x controller
3 360x
2 160
1 360 we
Will the controller operate all six lights?
Currently, I have the 360 X with a controller, and the others are just on the timer.
Will the controller operate all six?
I currently control 3 A500x on one channel *the K-Link port) and 6 A360we (the 0-10V port using 3mm cables to connect) on the other channel of my Kessil Spectral Controller X controller. I believe you shouldn't/can't control two different Kessil models (ie A360X and A500X) on the same channel. I'd have to double check the manual, though.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Ray :cool:
(I really shouldn't try to type out these response on my phone...fingers are too large for the keypad)

Late addition:
the Kessil User Manual illustrates (downlable here: http://kessil.com/downloads/accessories/5870124 A3 User Manual for Spectral Controller X.pdf) how to hook two different kinds of Kessil products in the section between "Navigation" and "Getting Started"

"The Spectral Controller X is compatible with the A360 and all the 0-10V Kessil lights" - from the manual​

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back