Kessil H80 or H380 for a Refugium?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I don't have room in my sump for a refugium.
I have a 300 G reef system including a 60"X 20"X 20" sump.
The max area in my sump, after my return and oversize Protein skimmer would give me about 10G for a refugium.
Therefore I'm building a algae reactor, 7" diameter 24"H.
I'm thinking of using 2 of the H80's or 1 H380 to light the reactor.
Thoughts?
If one of the above would be grass to perfect for the reactor-
How far should the light(s) be from the acrylic reactor?
Which one would be best?
And if Kessil would make the equivalent of the H80 or H380 as LED strip lights specifically for reactors, I'd buy them Now.
There are so many LED strip lights for reactors to be used to grow cheato, but none that I have any confidence in, anyone know or tested LED strips? BRS TV should test?
Kessil should make some :)
Thanks

There's quite a few reefers out there that have DIY'd their own reactors. I can't say that we have tested the Kessil lights on a algae reactor, so I don't have much valuable input as to what is best to implement them on a reactor. Maybe there are some threads out there where others have used LEDs not in a strip and have had success? :)

-Randy

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't comment on the h380 but for me, the h80 was barely able to keep cheato alive. This was in a fuge area that is 12x10 and 7 inches deep.

I switched to one and then two of these and I know discard two gallons worth of cheato every two weeks.

I'd love to see BRS stock these or some of the more common grow lights from the horticultural world. I'd also love to see them in the BRS investigates series. These grow lights get lots of love on horticulture forums, the h380 not so much.

TaoTronics LED Grow Light Bulb, Grow Lights for Indoor Plants, Grow Lamp for Hydroponics, Organic Soil, Applicable to Grow Banana, Lemon etc. ( 36W, 3 Bands, FREE E26 Socket ) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HPIPM70/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_rHWJzbDK6QZ5J

Are you saying you switched 2x H80 or to 2x H380? I am just rebuilding my tank and putting in a refugium that is 25cm (9.8`) L x 41cm (16.1`) W, 46cm (18.1`) D.
The thing that worries me is that space available above the refugium water line is 38cm (15` inches) so unless the dimensions of the H380 plus the hanging hook are 3 inches or less it will be within 12' of the waterline.

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you saying you switched 2x H80 or to 2x H380? I am just rebuilding my tank and putting in a refugium that is 25cm (9.8`) L x 41cm (16.1`) W, 46cm (18.1`) D.
The thing that worries me is that space available above the refugium water line is 38cm (15` inches) so unless the dimensions of the H380 plus the hanging hook are 3 inches or less it will be within 12' of the waterline.

We ran into a short spacing location in the ULM tanks where it’s closer to the fuge than we typically recommend. That said, it may not be a deal breaker for the H380, as you could possibly combat the height with lowered light schedules or break them up over the course of 18 or more hours. For example, we might try lighting the fuge for 1hr increments while playing with periods of the light being off. :)

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy, I will try the H380 and the intermittent lighting schedule. Will also try a short L hook and remove the ring from the Kessil since that will same me an inch or two :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 134 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back