Kessil Moonlight Question (Specifically the AP9X)

Adam1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have a Kessil AP9X on my mixed reef. So far very happy with it.

However, I have a moonlight question. Kessil built in options are red and blue; I’ve been using the red just to have a different, cool visual difference at night vs the more bluish look during the daytime.

But health of the tank is more important to me. I’d ask Kessil owners which do you use? And rest of R2R as well, do you think there is any differences on tank inhabitant health using the red vs. blue option? I haven’t noticed any bad effects from the red moonlight, but always am thinking of ways to improve the environment for my tank inhabitants.

If blue moonlight is much better health wise, I may change to that color.

I also took the option to use the dynamic moon phase option vs. no dynamics.

Thanks!

Adam

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use blue because I like it more.

The advantage and disadvantage of Red is that many fish can't see red. This let's you observe the fish at night without startling them, but because they can't see it it is less likely to trigger breeding behavior linked to the moon cycle.

Maybe none of that matters in that case just pick what looks cool.

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have a Kessil AP9X on my mixed reef. So far very happy with it.

However, I have a moonlight question. Kessil built in options are red and blue; I’ve been using the red just to have a different, cool visual difference at night vs the more bluish look during the daytime.

But health of the tank is more important to me. I’d ask Kessil owners which do you use? And rest of R2R as well, do you think there is any differences on tank inhabitant health using the red vs. blue option? I haven’t noticed any bad effects from the red moonlight, but always am thinking of ways to improve the environment for my tank inhabitants.

If blue moonlight is much better health wise, I may change to that color.

I also took the option to use the dynamic moon phase option vs. no dynamics.

Thanks!

Adam
The overall health of your coral and fish won't change based on the red or blue moonlight as it's extremely dim.

There is some research suggesting that the moon cycles are important for triggering coral spawning events, however unless you're trying to actively spawn coral in your own aquarium, you don't need to worry about it.

Pick what looks good to your eyes and run with it.

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would caution the red. I had my ap700’s ramp up/down with red to simulate the sunrise/sunset. It seemed to stunt coral growth. I say seemed to because I couldn’t say definitively. I did come across a study that said that the red spectrum was not good for corals but it’s been a long time since I researched it and can’t link it for you.

OP
OP
Adam1985

Adam1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the comments. I think I’ll stick with red for now. I’ll also try to get a red flashlight for nighttime observation. It does seem the fish can’t see the red and using white or blue light at night startles them.

I really appreciate your help. I’ll update you if I learn anything more on this topic.

Thanks again!

Adam

ragequit.exe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the red but annoyingly on my AP700 if red is selected the light shuts off completely at moonlight time. Connecting to the fixture in the app and doing nothing will restore the moonlight until the next night. Blue works totally fine (shrug)

OP
OP
Adam1985

Adam1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the red but annoyingly on my AP700 if red is selected the light shuts off completely at moonlight time. Connecting to the fixture in the app and doing nothing will restore the moonlight until the next night. Blue works totally fine (shrug)
I noticed something similar with mine, but it seemed to be related to the moon phase cycle. That’s to say the moonlight didn’t turn on until well into the overnight cycle and has been off completely when the lights turn off. During the full moons, etc. it’s on throughout the night. I definitely notice an intensity change through the night when running the moon phase option. But, in my case I notice it with both color options

Just wanted to share; sounds like your issue might be unrelated, especially if the blue doesn’t have the issue.

@Kessil maybe could advise us?

Thanks,

Adam

Back