KESSIL VS CHINESE BLACK BOX

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about you I'll just stop bying LEDs and get yourself some nice T5HO OR halides if you really want to grow some corals. Now I'm not saying LEDs cannot grow corals so I don't want to have that argument or conversation with anybody.

But from my experience the best growth I've ever had is under T5 Ho and halides.
And better yet a combo of both or all three

OP
OP
elisa h

elisa h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about you I'll just stop bying LEDs and get yourself some nice T5HO OR halides if you really want to grow some corals. Now I'm not saying LEDs cannot grow corals so I don't want to have that argument or conversation with anybody.

But from my experience the best growth I've ever had is under T5 Ho and halides.
And better yet a combo of both or all three

The tank I got off of Craigslist came with 150 watt metal halides.. I just wasn't sure if that would be enough for corals in my 90 gallon 30lx24wx27h (approximately) tank. What do you think? Somebody else was saying use the mh's and supplement with a smaller kessil light

Hersheyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can take a look at brs, they just came out with a video on those black boxes. Main concern would be the safety, not knowing if the light is going to catch on fire or not is a big issue for me.

Last edited:

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Combos for the win!!!

IMG_9409.JPG

IMG_9410.JPG

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely enough for a 90! Just watch your temp! A fan can act as a make shift chiller! All the old school guys still swear by MH!
The tank I got off of Craigslist came with 150 watt metal halides.. I just wasn't sure if that would be enough for corals in my 90 gallon 30lx24wx27h (approximately) tank. What do you think? Somebody else was saying use the mh's and supplement with a smaller kessil light

OP
OP
elisa h

elisa h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely enough for a 90! Just watch your temp! A fan can act as a make shift chiller! All the old school guys still swear by MH!

The only problem is the light (coral life 150 watt 14000k) has been discontinued. I'm not sure if you had to buy the coral life replacement bulbs or if any 150 watt would fit. When I look online the fixture, bulb, and ballast all come as a set but they are not being sold anymore
https://www.marinedepot.com/Coralif...dants-Coralife-ES53601-FILTFIMHPDDEOF-vi.html

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was me.
And yes it'll work with the halides alone. Halides are more heat. For the tank and in the room.

For a newer reefer in 2017 , an led with basic ramping and timer that fits your budget will make you really happy. IMO.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only problem is the light (coral life 150 watt 14000k) has been discontinued. I'm not sure if you had to buy the coral life replacement bulbs or if any 150 watt would fit. When I look online the fixture, bulb, and ballast all come as a set but they are not being sold anymore
https://www.marinedepot.com/Coralif...dants-Coralife-ES53601-FILTFIMHPDDEOF-vi.html
Can I see a picture of that fixture?

And yes any 150w double ended will work.
You'll see the same debate as to what bulb is best though. Lol.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a pic in that link. When I get home I will take one of mine for you
Don't worry about the pic.

Yea that's not a bad fixture. You can hook it up on the tank and turn it on and see what you think.

Most likely with the mh you'll you'll have a 8 to 10 hr lights on time.

One benifit to an led with ramping or controller is you can have a longer lights on time. In the morning just blue and not very intense changing to a whiter light Then about six to eight hours of peak lighting. Then a few more hours of ramp down then just blues.
It's bells and whistles but awfully fun.

I ran my mh with an led for a while. It was pretty cool.

Fwiw
If you decide on a kessil. You'll want one minimum or two kessil a360 for that tank.
Or
One 16" SBreflight Bb
And
The MH and led combo you can do later if you want with both with room to spare.

If kessil was a named and budget was a concern, you could do one a160 and the mh.
The 160 alone really isn't enough for that tank.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I see a picture of that fixture?

And yes any 150w double ended will work.
You'll see the same debate as to what bulb is best though. Lol.
The Hamilton 20k would be a nice bulb, that's what I run. Uh oh, debate started. Lol

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hamilton 20k would be a nice bulb, that's what I run. Uh oh, debate started. Lol
Ushio 5.6k the par monster!!!!!

Oops. :)

Yup. The Hamilton is good. Radium 20k still available. Phoenix 14k available and good.

Really. It a good time to be a reefer.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those SB look like nice lights. Im interested in seeing the comparison.
Funny thing about folks comparing lights n shimmer to MH , it really actually beggs the question , what MH reflector ? I have two and they are completely different. And neither are the multi faceted large arrays. And those came in several finishes too.

OP
OP
elisa h

elisa h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyfilmfolks
I may as well stick to the halides then and buy a new bulb for it since I don't know the last time it was replaced. I would probably buy a kessil 160 to go with it but how much difference would that make? I may start out the tank with the halides and decide on a bulb then if I'm not happy add a kessil on there. Also thank you for all the advice you've been a big help!!

OP
OP
elisa h

elisa h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for all the questions but would I have to pick a double ended bulb since the one in there is or does it matter? I think I've heard the double ended ones are better too but I'm not sure

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back