Kessil's for Red Sea Reefer 250

Maximus93101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting very close to pulling the trigger on a RSR 250 (36x20x21) which will be predominantly SPS with some LPS (in a ration of 2:1 respectfuly) and I am trying to decide between two Kessil A360x Tuna Blue lights or a single AP9X to light the 36" wide tank.

With mounting hardware, the AP9X comes in at ~$60 cheaper, with the ability to control the light from my phone via WiFi. The 2x A360x gives me the option to fine tune the placment for optimum coverage of the 36" width ND gives me the option for 55 degree reflectors to enchance the PAR for the SPS corals Getting ether the WiFi controller or trhe wired Spectral ontroller X will add another $100 to the equation if I opt for the 2x A360x's

Looking for people with experience using an AP9X or 2 x A360x on a 36" wide or similar tank.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have those lights but generally, esp with SPS, light spread is very important, arguably more so than hitting those raw max par numbers. Thats why I think 2 will be better bv you can achieve more even spread.

With 1. Shadowing will eventually become an issue.

Edit- if t5 hybrid is on the table, it will be better option than both of your current choices for the SPS. Or even go with some reefbrite xhos to supplement yiur "spotlight" kessil leds. Again, its all about the "fill light" light spread, and using a hybrid of t5/led, or led strip/kessil will achieve much better spread than your current options.

Last edited:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 360s on my 90 gallon. I'm about to go hybrid with T5.

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have 1 kessil ap700 over my reefer 250 actually. I have a mixed reef. Overall I'm happy with the light. Wished that the app was better (I used the AI before) but overall love that shimmer. I used a par meter (rented 1) so at 100% the top of some of my coral placement hit 300 par. (Bottom corals are all happy and growing, ie. Zoas, GSP, mushrooms..) but I wasn't too sure my acros were happy. So I've been slowly ramping my intensity. I don't have large colonies, just frags now. The person I got frags from had 350+ par... so I think I might have to eventually add lights. Haven't decided if reefbright yet, or maybe something else. If budget wasn't an issue, I'd just add 2 a360we next to my ap700 and call it a day. I just can't justify that money lol.

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting very close to pulling the trigger on a RSR 250 (36x20x21) which will be predominantly SPS with some LPS (in a ration of 2:1 respectfuly) and I am trying to decide between two Kessil A360x Tuna Blue lights or a single AP9X to light the 36" wide tank.

With mounting hardware, the AP9X comes in at ~$60 cheaper, with the ability to control the light from my phone via WiFi. The 2x A360x gives me the option to fine tune the placment for optimum coverage of the 36" width ND gives me the option for 55 degree reflectors to enchance the PAR for the SPS corals Getting ether the WiFi controller or trhe wired Spectral ontroller X will add another $100 to the equation if I opt for the 2x A360x's

Looking for people with experience using an AP9X or 2 x A360x on a 36" wide or similar tank.
You're going to do remarkably well with either option!

The one thing to consider - if you use the single arm AP9X mount, you'll need to cut a small notch in your overflow cover on the RSR to allow for the tank mount to clamp to the edge of the glass. If you use the two A360X units, you can use one arm on either side of the overflow.

Personally, I would go with the single AP9X unit, as it ends up being a bit cheaper without sacrificing any intensity / control. Plus the 1 arm mount looks pretty sleek.

OP
OP
Maximus93101

Maximus93101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit- if t5 hybrid is on the table, it will be better option than both of your current choices for the SPS. Or even go with some reefbrite xhos to supplement yiur "spotlight" kessil leds. Again, its all about the "fill light" light spread, and using a hybrid of t5/led, or led strip/kessil will achieve much better spread than your current options.
That's a good point. Right now the budget doesn't allow for additional T5 or LED actinic (although the Reef Brite XHO Hybrid LED Kits look promising) however, in a couple of months that may certainly be an option.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back