Lighting recommendations for Red Sea Reefer 170

jonnyglass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of setting up a new tank, the Reefer 170, 45 gallons, 20" D x 24" W x 20" L. This will be a primarily LPS/soft coral tank, however I would like enough light to support some SPS.

From what I've read, it seems like a single a360x mounted 8" above the tank would work well, however I want to mount the lights as high off the tank as possible, ideally flush to the ceiling (4' above the rim of the tank).

From what I've seen, the best option for ceiling mounting with wifi controllability seems to be the Orphek Amazonas 960 iCon, which has a variety of very narrow spot reflectors available, however that fixture seems like it would be way too powerful for the tank plus I like the adjustability of the Kessils.

Is there a narrower spot option for the a360x/a500x than the 35 degree reflector? Would a single a360x with the 35 degree reflector mounted so high provide anywhere near the light my tank would require? If not, what would be the ideal mounting height with the 35 degree reflector? Would a single a500x make more sense? Does Kessil sell the ceiling mounting hardward and barn doors suitable for ceiling mounting, to avoid light spillage into the room?

Are there any other suggestions from the community beyond the a360x/a500x or the Amazonas for a ceiling-mounted reef spot?

sfgabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following to see what others say as I am setting up the same tank. My guess is you'd lose too much par with a 4 foot gap to make any type of light useful.

Also, kessils are terrible for light spill, though you can get some 3d printed options that keep it to a minimum.

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend did something like this last year with a planted tank and 360x tuna suns. Even using multiple lights the shadows were VERY strong and high contrast. It worked for the look he was going for, but I don’t think it would be great for a reef tank. You’d want several lights and maybe even some coming in at an angle to avoid shading your SPS.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back