Kfc dip and bacterial resistance?

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv been using KFC dip by kungfu corals to treat my infected corals. I use it rarely. But im just wondering when we use bunch of antiobiotics like that mixed up together. Wouldnt that create antibiotic resistant bacteria that can transfer to humans and kill us?

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv been using KFC dip by kungfu corals to treat my infected corals. I use it rarely. But im just wondering when we use bunch of antiobiotics like that mixed up together. Wouldnt that create antibiotic resistant bacteria that can transfer to humans and kill us?
First and foremost, proper disposal is absolutely key. Second, most human infecting bacterium are already resistant to Cipro, so it's not as big of a risk there. Third, the KFC dip is such a strong mix that it kills the bacteria right away. Resistance is only a risk at constant, low exposure.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whr
First and foremost, proper disposal is absolutely key. Second, most human infecting bacterium are already resistant to Cipro, so it's not as big of a risk there. Third, the KFC dip is such a strong mix that it kills the bacteria right away. Resistance is only a risk at constant, low exposure.

Where do you dispose? I was dumping it into my sump pump. I had no idea.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whr

Where do you dispose? I was dumping it into my sump pump. I had no idea.
Yeah definitely not into the sump pump... That puts it straight back into the environment and creates a diluted exposure level for the nasties around your house. I keep it in bright sunlight for a few days to deactivate the Cipro, add carbon to absorb whatever's left, then pour down the toilet. Throw away the carbon in a sealed container.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 92 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back