KH Director Setup Trouble

JKenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I’m flummoxed and I need some professional help, please… Apologies for the rambling…

I received my KH Director and started the install this past Sunday. I made certain to use the special tubing for the reagent line to the pump (but not pump to Director? Should I have?) and I was reasonably careful with my measurements for tube lengths and flow rates.

When I ran my first test Sunday night, I received the not enough reagent error. Ran the test again and this time no errors, except my Dkh was showing as 12.4! My Hanna is showing 8.5. It was late so on Monday I re-read the manual and surfed for any info I could get on installation troubles. I found that I had not vented the internal reagent tube in my initial setup so… when I got home, flushed the internal reagent tube, ran a test and BINGO! 8.6 Dkh! So, I ran the test a second time and … it was 11.8 L, and a 3rd time it was now 12.4.

So, I went back to the setup, re-measured my tubes, checked the calibration on the PH probe (4 & 7 both good) re-validated my setting for flow rates on all 3 connections, emptied the cell completely, flushed the measuring cell, vented the internal reagent tube and ran another test. This time was 11.8.

I started thinking this might be an input tube length calculation error because I could see an occasional air bubble after it had gone through its initial loading cycle, so I cut a small bit of tubing, 9 in long, and connected it straight to the water intake pump (eliminating the long tube and the GHL in-line filter. This time I ran the test and got an 11.5.

Alright I said to myself, I read about placement within the sump for the input tube, I moved it to the foam baffle just before the return pump (with the original longer tube and the filter installed) and this test produced an 11.0! Right direction but still a wrong result.

There is something going on here that I’m just not seeing. The results (I’ve probably run 10 of them today), although all too high, are somewhat consistent so I’m assuming it’s in my setup somewhere.

I thought before I reached out to GHL for guidance, I would try my luck here first. Any help, insight, or sympathy, would be greatly appreciated.

Joe

The specifics for my install are:

Main Doser 2.1 SA v: 1.35
Director Doser (also 2.1 SA configured as slave): v.1.35
KH Director: v. 1.00
Pump 5 (Water in): 44ml/min
Pump 6 (Ref solution): 5.5ml/min
Pump 7 (Water out): 38ml/min
KH Director sample: 80ml
KH Director sample tube: 18ml (GHL calc says 11ml volume. Added 7ml for GHL filter for 18ml total)
Silicone tube length: 24.5”
Internal Pump Tube: 4.2”
Tube pump to KHD: 6.3

OP
OP
JKenny

JKenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update...

Perhaps I should have waited a little longer. For reasons I don't understand the readings started to show 9.9 & 9.8 - even after 4 tests. My Hanna is showing 8.7. I'm going to let this settle for the next few days and see how it goes - at least I'm getting consistent readings and it's only 1 Dkh away from what I think is close to accurate...

Joe

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 50 25.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 46 23.2%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back