KH Director vs Hanna Alk

BurgerFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I always trusted to my Hanna Alk Checker. My alk was high and don't fall even with insane coralline grow. SPS doing bad.

I bought the KH Director and the results was low 4.5-4.7. I recalibrate everything using the lab grade cylinders, submerged their filter. Still low - 5.7.

Hanna reported 7.5-7.7.

I tested the GHL Calibration 7.5 fuid and the results was 7.7...

I tested my water with Salifert KH and it's... 5.7.

So, KH Director is accurate. Hanna checker is a piece of ****, I lost so many time, sps and money tried to fix everything. But it just their Alk checker wasn't accurate.

How fast can I rise my alk daily?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You‘ll get a million opinions on this here, so sit back; make some popcorn and enjoy! ;)

I’d say 0.5 dkh/day but that is purely an opinion based on anecdotal experience..

Out of curiosity, did you consider having an ICP test made to confirm your findings?

radfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He likely does not have 10 days for ICP turn around.

The Hanna Alk is a terrible waste of money and is not to be trusted. The deviation due to reagent instability will definitely cause grief and SPS death.

I am now using Salifert as my Hanna started reporting Alk 7.5 and using a new bottle of reagent it read 9.8. Salifert was correct at 8.5

Sorry for your loss, blame Hanna.

Raise Alk by .5 dk per 24 hours.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the salifert is not expired, I would have a tendency to to believe that particularly since it also matches the KH director. Usually if two measurements agree and a third doesn't the two that agree are correct.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back