Kh eternally stuck at 7

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did a water change yesterday, checked my ph (8.3) and kh (7) just now. I do have a good amount of corals, lps and 4 sps, so I started dosing 2 part about two weeks ago. I would hate to dose just the alk portion of the 2 part. Has anyone else had this issue. It has been a recurring them for about 6 months now for me. My beautiful frogspawn has stayed closed for about 4 days now, no effects on lps or any other lps that I can see. Thanks in advance.

tjnorthdakota

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kit are you using for your alk? And it is suggested you use sodium bicarbonate and calcium chloride seperately to adjust your calcium and alkalinty values to the desired level before you start normal daily dosing. Then by testing each day you can adjust the daily dosing regimen to match consumption.

OP
OP
Surfandturf

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd dose the two part equally in sufficient amounts to boost the alkalinity to your desired level and keep it there (say, 7-11 dKH).

Calcium will follow along perfectly. :)
Thanks for the info Randy! I have been dosing 2 part, but have only been using
.5 mils for my 10gal. The dosage on the bottles says 1 mil for every 6 gallons, but I figured that I should be cautious. Would there be any negative effects of dosing the full 1 mil? The one thing that worries me a bit is that the bottle states that the solution contains trace elements that I have no way of testing for.

OP
OP
Surfandturf

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kit are you using for your alk? And it is suggested you use sodium bicarbonate and calcium chloride seperately to adjust your calcium and alkalinty values to the desired level before you start normal daily dosing. Then by testing each day you can adjust the daily dosing regimen to match consumption.
So I use the API kits, the ones that are sold separately (kh, ph). I does the two part liquid solution. I dose .5 mils of part 1 and the about 20-30 mins later, .5 mils of part 2. I would like for my kh to be 9ish. I don't chase PH, i just check before dosing and a few hours after. Just to make sure that there is not a huge swing.

npaul65

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy

So you recommend dosing two parts in equal amount say if you want to keep alk around 8 will the calcium adjust accordingly even if you does equal two parts in equal amount

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info Randy! I have been dosing 2 part, but have only been using
.5 mils for my 10gal. The dosage on the bottles says 1 mil for every 6 gallons, but I figured that I should be cautious. Would there be any negative effects of dosing the full 1 mil? The one thing that worries me a bit is that the bottle states that the solution contains trace elements that I have no way of testing for.

What two part?

A good two part does not actually boost trace elements, even though they need to be present so they do not decline. Tricky, but true. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy

So you recommend dosing two parts in equal amount say if you want to keep alk around 8 will the calcium adjust accordingly even if you does equal two parts in equal amount

Yes. The changes to calcium are small.

Always base the dose on alkalinity needs unless calcium is already too high (550 ppm plus) or too low (needing a one time manual correction)

If you use both parts of a two part equally to boost the OP values from

410 Calcium
6 dKH

to alk of 8 dKH, they become

423 calcium
8 dKH

npaul65

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy for the clarification

Yes. The changes to calcium are small.

Always base the dose on alkalinity needs unless calcium is already too high (550 ppm plus) or too low (needing a one time manual correction)

If you use both parts of a two part equally to boost the OP values from

410 Calcium
6 dKH

to alk of 8 dKH, they become

423 calcium
8 dKH

npaul65

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy for the clarification

Randy one more question how would you suggest to bring numbers initially where you want those number to be. Do you recommend start with two part to bring number to that level and then adjust dosing accordingly.

Thanks

OP
OP
Surfandturf

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20170321_174308.jpg
20170321_174335.jpg
20170321_174327.jpg

This is the product that I am using. Just bought a new Red Sea test kit today. Will post calcium and kh after testing.

OP
OP
Surfandturf

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To caveat the test results, I used the Red sea Ca, Kh, Mg test kit. My salinity is .026 and temp is at 78.

I dosed about 2 hours before testing. I bumped up my dosage from .5 mil to 1 mil.

OP
OP
Surfandturf

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tested

Calcium 400
Dkh 5.4

Dkh a 3 pt drop in 24hrs? I tested it twice because I did not believe it. What could cause such a swing in kh but leave calcium levels?

Back