Kh eternally stuck at 7

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming an actual drop in alkalinity by 3 dKH, calcium would only have dropped by about 20 ppm, so you probably just don't accurately detect the calcium drop. Most test kits cannot reproducibly give better results than that.

OP
OP
Surfandturf

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming an actual drop in alkalinity by 3 dKH, calcium would only have dropped by about 20 ppm, so you probably just don't accurately detect the calcium drop. Most test kits cannot reproducibly give better results than that.
Ok that is good to know. So what do you think could cause such a dip in kh? CO2 ?

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also do 2 part I may have to stop the Cal and just add Alk for a few days or weeks.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok that is good to know. So what do you think could cause such a dip in kh? CO2 ?

CO2 added or subtracted from the water has no impact on the alkalinity. How much alkalinity (in dKH per day) are you currently dosing?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley i have also been curious about Cal &Kh my KH is always at 7 or 7.5 and Cal is at 460-480 is that ok I run LPS 29g dominated by acans

Those values are fine, and you could dose both parts equally or let the calcium decline a bit before dosing more.

Personally, I'd stick with equal dosing unless calcium actually got too high (say, 550+ ppm). it is just easier, and if you let it decline, then need to dose, you may just find you are adding a lot of what you would have been added daily.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 56 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back