KH Guardian: Automatic Alkalinity Controller- My Experiences

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just have to read this thread it’s back about two or three pages

I put what David Chen sent me to to replace yearly and every six months the parts and the part numbers

Worst comes to worse just email him he usually gets back to within a day (different time zones he’s from Vietnam I think) he will even mail you all the parts except stuff with liquid as you can’t send them international
He is from Taiwan. The guy is true inventor. A ph in mechanics and robotics I believe.
I think his problem is he explain too much what his device doing that I think some vendors steal his ideas ha ha.
But seriously the guy is absolute genius and very humble.

Last edited:

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is from Taiwan. The guy is true inventor. A ph in mechanics and robotics I believe.
I think his problem is he explain too much what his device doing that I think some vendors steal his ideas ha ha.
But seriously the guy is absolute genius and very humble.
Always responds to my emails and very nice to me
No complaints at all I love my khg

mrhaboobi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone had any experience with the AIM module causing issues when connected to APEX and resulting in a huge fluctuation with Readings? Does the the AIM module have firmware updates etc?

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone had any experience with the AIM module causing issues when connected to APEX and resulting in a huge fluctuation with Readings? Does the the AIM module have firmware updates etc?
Been using AIM for couppe of years now. Works very well.
Have you calibrated the AIM with apex?
Have you tried diffrent ethernet cable connection?
Have you tried diffrent BNC conmection?
Which bnc port are you connecting to on the apex side?

yellojello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Has it been working for you and now it fluctuates, or setting up for the first time? After calibration, it might have a slight difference between Apex reading and KHG reading +- 0.05 since digital to analog conversion.

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is there anyone who has written code to control a doser unit from their apex using their reading from the khg? I emailed David at khg and it would be a $100 charge to upgrade the board to enable using my unit as a controller then I am assuming another cost of adding the doser itself. I was given mine as a non working unit so the price was right. Just had to upgrade the parts and the firmware and it has been working flawlessly for several months now. It has been so reliable I have considered using it to actually control my alk and not just monitor it.
thanks
jeff

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that KHG seems very Concentrated. Don't think I'll be getting one. It's to much that can go wrong.
Not sure why you say that. I actually think it's one of the simplest kh testers out there.
Its 3 components.
Ph prob
Mixing chamber
Dosers.
Testing is done based on ph reading while adding reagent drops to water sample in the mixing chamber...
I feel that Debugging issues is simpler cause you can target specific part. You can also change the whole part when needed. Example: there was some new upgrades and development on the mixing motor and or the drop counter...dr. chen made available a whole mixing chamber for cheap..you can change the whole mixing chamber and get all the upgrades at once..
Used my 1st khg for 2 years had a very good experince. When I faced issues de. Chen was very supportive and helped me fixed the issue immediately..again due to the design simplicity debugging was simple.
I got a 2nd unit 6 months ago for my frag tank...

Donsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't get wrong I really like it. just seem complicated to get set up and running I have a friend that has one and he's happy with it and l would you like to have one.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I here coralvue may stop carrying them.
Coral vue are working on their own tester, so am not suprised.
Khg is supported by its owner dr. Chen. It's cheaper to buy from him directly. He has been very responsive and supportive so far.

Last edited:

yellojello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set mine up last week, so far seems pretty good.

I feel like if DHCP was enabled correctly at first start up, it would save a lot of confusion. To be competitive it should be as easy as possible to setup. The web interface has a lot to be desired too, but I don’t mind as long as everything works.

Also should have included a wall mount. Reagent could be cheaper.

I was about to buy the Alkatronic, but for the cheaper price you can get these, seems like a no brainer.

yellojello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
04f56253f91c38e4553c9866f8c7ede0.jpg

350352141064d1bff5c89ff318485830.jpg

0b614af4950da367e5bd897bbb586895.jpg

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set mine up last week, so far seems pretty good.

I feel like if DHCP was enabled correctly at first start up, it would save a lot of confusion. To be competitive it should be as easy as possible to setup. The web interface has a lot to be desired too, but I don’t mind as long as everything works.

Also should have included a wall mount. Reagent could be cheaper.

I was about to buy the Alkatronic, but for the cheaper price you can get these, seems like a no brainer.
You gonna love it. Nice mount btw.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back