kHD installed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I set up my KH today. Just ran the first measurement and it came out to 9.3. Hanna came out at 8.4. The water intake line is in the side of my sump that has our Torq reactor and our return pump. Should we move it? Should I try and recalibrate the probe again? Anything else I should try? Thanks everyone!

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ran another measurement while I typed the last response and it's now at 7. I'm assuming this is a probe issue?

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
run it a few times..... thats what i did... mines consistent.. just higher than expected... One thing im going to do. iread somewhere a guy said if the intake tube moves it will have a weird reading.. so im going to zip tie the intake tube to my manifold pump so it stays still. or ill cut a piece of PVC pipe and zip tie it and sink it down low in a corner so it doesnt move.....

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today inzip tied my sample tube to a acrylic rod. Put the rod in dosing holder and lowerd it so tube is about 1/4 from the.bottom of the skimmer section. And ran back to back to back tests. First was high at 8.5. Then next 3 were all 8.2. So reverts back to what other location showed. I tested Hanna same same time and took water from same area in sump just to compare. Hanna showed 7.7 still

I'm my day off I think I'm gonna cut a 8ft tube and run sample line to return pump area and see if that changes anything. Only idea I don't like is the auto top off it it happens to go off right before the kh tests. It might throw it off. But we'll see

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today inzip tied my sample tube to a acrylic rod. Put the rod in dosing holder and lowerd it so tube is about 1/4 from the.bottom of the skimmer section. And ran back to back to back tests. First was high at 8.5. Then next 3 were all 8.2. So reverts back to what other location showed. I tested Hanna same same time and took water from same area in sump just to compare. Hanna showed 7.7 still

I'm my day off I think I'm gonna cut a 8ft tube and run sample line to return pump area and see if that changes anything. Only idea I don't like is the auto top off it it happens to go off right before the kh tests. It might throw it off. But we'll see

I’m going to be redoing ours today too. Looking forward to hearing your results.

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished completely "re-installing" KH Director as if it were the first time. Ran 1st measurement test and it is 11.1. Ran second measurement test and it's 11.1 again. Tested with Hanna and it's 8.3. Does this thing need a break-in period? It's a little frustrating. Not sure what to do at this point.

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure as I moved my sample line to draw away from sump. And at very bottom back of it. And i got 8.3 8.2. 8.1. 8.0. Then now back to 8.1. Haven't tested my Hanna today but haven't dosed in a week.

I'm drawing from where my return is in the sump. Should I switch to where the water is coming in from the overflow?

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm drawing from where my return is in the sump. Should I switch to where the water is coming in from the overflow?
You want your water to be tested from an area that is CALM, no air bubbles, no dosing. If your line gets bubbles it will throw off the test. Also make sure you have an accurate measurement length of the test line to include the added 7ml for the filter. sample tube volume is critical to the accuracy of the KH D
Page 31 of the manual

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want your water to be tested from an area that is CALM, no air bubbles, no dosing. If your line gets bubbles it will throw off the test. Also make sure you have an accurate measurement length of the test line to include the added 7ml for the filter. sample tube volume is critical to the accuracy of the KH D
Page 31 of the manual

When we re-installed everything this morning, I measured the line exactly with the filter and added the length for the tubing on the doser (per the video). I've moved the intake line twice now. I'll try and third place and see if that makes any difference. Thanks for the help!

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My intake like is accurate I just used 6ft piece of my silicone tubing I bought with inner ildiameter of 3.125mm. Added the 4.7" doser tube and 6.3" doser to khd. That's accurate. And added 7ml for filter It's in the calmest location I have. In skimmer section back behind my manifold pump down load. I don't know of a better place. Testing 8.2 right now. I drew water for Hanna test in same location as where it draws for kh. And got 7.6again. So right now. I'm definitely not happy with the $800 item. But again. I'll wait till the reference fluid comes in and I test the 7.5reference fluid

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also thinking of trying a micro bubble sponge trap around the tube to see if that helps. But I'm not expecting it to get better.it has yet to drop below 8.0

I just installed it into the space between my skimmer and the return section (there's a bubble sponge trap there). I'm finally getting normal-ish readings. Now getting 7.5 two times in a row. Am going to see how it does over the next couple of days to see if it gets closer to what I'm seeing from Hanna.

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed it into the space between my skimmer and the return section (there's a bubble sponge trap there). I'm finally getting normal-ish readings. Now getting 7.5 two times in a row. Am going to see how it does over the next couple of days to see if it gets closer to what I'm seeing from Hanna.
What we're u getting before. The 7.5. I just tested. 7.7 with Hanna. And 8.3 with the kh.

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@esther I just copied you. Out it in baffle between skimmer and return. I dose in return so I wanted to keep it behind the flow of dosing. I'll see if it is any better. Had to cut a 8ft piece of dosing line. Out the filter at the very end.

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those that can help trouble shoot.

I moved my sample line. I clicked vent reagent then clicked flush measurement cell. Ran a test got 7.5! I was pumped. Then I ran another test immediately after. Got 7.8. then ran another one got 7.9. Then clicked on empty measurement cell completely. And ran one more. And got 8dkh. It just keeps raising. When I thought I was going to have it finally fixed. It seems to slowly rise back to the way it was..

Screenshot_20200223-220929.png Screenshot_20200223-222703.png Screenshot_20200223-224902.png Screenshot_20200223-230505.png

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right before bed I decided to try to calibrate reagent pump again just in case. It was set to 5.1. Recalibrated and came out 4.8 (very bottom of the curve). Ran very next test. 7.8. So we'll see throughout the night if it just climbs and climbs again

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you guys get it sorted as im thinking of getting a KHD, and so far it just seems this whole GHL stuff is just very frustrating to set up.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#1. get it to read consistent
#2. STOP trying to get it to read the same as a Hanna. It doesn’t matter.

Once it’s reading consistent pick a setting and stick to it. The idea is to be create a stable steady environment for your corals.

For instance, I try to keep my Alk at 8.1 according to the KH Director. Stability is key.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 21 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back