KHG DIY or Alternative Reagent

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I would ask what the opposition is to using off the shelf 37% HCL?

If impurities is the issue... we are talking about 5.5ml over 2 or 3 months and that is only if you push your waste back into your system.

So let's say that the reagent grade is 100 times more pure...
You get 5.4945 normal stuff and 0.0055 other stuff. Maybe my math is off but you get the idea.

If that is worth the cost for you then great.

Remember that 37% is a grade too. It also meets a standard which can be relied upon.
That's true. Do you dump back into tank? I do

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I would ask what the opposition is to using off the shelf 37% HCL?

If impurities is the issue... we are talking about 5.5ml over 2 or 3 months and that is only if you push your waste back into your system.

So let's say that the reagent grade is 100 times more pure...
You get 5.4945 normal stuff and 0.0055 other stuff. Maybe my math is off but you get the idea.

If that is worth the cost for you then great.

Remember that 37% is a grade too. It also meets a standard which can be relied upon.
I suggest it is not necessarily the amount of the impurity, but the undefined nature of what the impurity is.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest it is not necessarily the amount of the impurity, but the undefined nature of what the impurity is.
Fair enough.
And that was what I was getting at.
How much dose one care...

I personally do not think that it is enough to be considered with reguardless of what it may be.

laythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to me is not impurities but rather precision. dont you guys think lab grade would be more precise than off the shelf acids? is 37% really 37% or is it 36 or 38?

maybe im overthinking it a bit maybe 1% off in 4ml over 1500 isnt much of a big deal? idk. is there a way to measure the accuracy of the final 0.01N solution? im good with math and dabble with chemistry but not so great at it

laythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so 10 ml of this

into 1000rodi will do .01N

that makes 100L of reagent which will probably last a year even for me. i think we have a winner. unless my calculations are wrong?

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to me is not impurities but rather precision. dont you guys think lab grade would be more precise than off the shelf acids? is 37% really 37% or is it 36 or 38?

maybe im overthinking it a bit maybe 1% off in 4ml over 1500 isnt much of a big deal? idk. is there a way to measure the accuracy of the final 0.01N solution? im good with math and dabble with chemistry but not so great at it
That last part... 1% of 4ml over 1500 ml...
Call that closer than you can accurately measure 4ml...

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so 10 ml of this

into 1000rodi will do .01N

that makes 100L of reagent which will probably last a year even for me. i think we have a winner. unless my calculations are wrong?

That's what I use.

Your calc is correct, but I dilute to 0.1N first and then dilute again to minimise measurement error.

laythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I use.

Your calc is correct, but I dilute to 0.1N first and then dilute again to minimise measurement error

Allright, I pretty much don't either. If it works for you that's all good then :cool:
Thank you I'm going to order some right now. i also almost never wc. 28x3 ft of corals space. 660 gallons water volume. i dose everything including traces on a daily bases. kinda like moonshine only i make my own.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what size tanks are you guys dumping the waste back into?
My total volume is ~100 gallons and the KH Director is set to 80ml test (2) times a day. I would like to test more often, but that is more makeup water that has to be pumped in after every test (if I don't return the sample back to the tank).

Wondering what the side effects would be long term on a system as small as mine.

laythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My total volume is ~100 gallons and the KH Director is set to 80ml test (2) times a day. I would like to test more often, but that is more makeup water that has to be pumped in after every test (if I don't return the sample back to the tank).

Wondering what the side effects would be long term on a system as small as mine.
the byproduct is literally ph of 7ish so its like adding water to the system. in a 660 gallon i test every half hr around the clock. been doing that for like 4 years now and no issues.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't know what kind of waste the KH Director produces.

The KH Guardian only produces about 6 to 9 ml of actual waste depending on the alk level of the display.
I ran it on multiple systems for years without issue. The smallest was a 30 gallon.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what kind of waste the KH Director produces.

The KH Guardian only produces about 6 to 9 ml of actual waste depending on the alk level of the display.
I ran it on multiple systems for years without issue. The smallest was a 30 gallon.
Well the test is 80ml and the acid is .1n
I think the titration goes down to around ph 4
So ~85 ml of ph 4 solution being returned to the tank.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You're returning the sample seawater which has had alkalinity reduced to zero by acid.

So technically it will drop Alk by a miniscule amount.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100 gallons, I would be surprised if you noticed a suppression of the pH or alk. As to other effects, if 80 of the 85ml is tank water then I wouldn't worry about it. Presuming it is using the same testing method the waste should be harmless.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back