Killer in my tank

Jim-n-Sheila

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 weeks ago I added 4 fish to my 90 gallon reef. A sail fin tang, flame angel, red stripe (Elbi) angel, and a neon dottyback. Already in the tank were a starry blenny, pair of gladiator clowns, blue devil damsel and a Talbots damsel. I never see any hostility in the tank other than the blue damsel chases the talbot around but doesn’t harm it. Well the tang and elbi never seemed to like their new home and hid a lot then perished a day apart after being about a week in. They looked healthy one day and dead the next. Today I came home from work and the flame was dead. He was swimming all around and eating like a horse yesterday. The dottyback wigged out when I took the flame out and has since been hiding behind the overflow. Water quality is good as far as I can tell. 0 nitrite and nitrate. I don’t have an ammonia test but all my corals (frogspawn, Xenia, zoo’s,chalice,orange tree) are open and look great. Other than putting a video camera (don’t have one anymore)on the tank to see what goes on while no ones watching I don’t know what to do next. I don’t even know what questions to ask anyone here I’m just stabbing in the dark. Any ideas will be appreciated.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One time I bought the cutest baby four stripe damsel. A year later I added a Juvi Achilles Tang.

Two years later the 4 stripe was stressing out my Achilles during lights out. Was not paying attention and lost the two year old Achilles. Once the 4 stripe pestered the Achilles Tang to death, during lights out, it quickly turned on our Clown Fish. Good thing she has an anemone that host her and kept her safe until we were able to get the 4 stripe out.

I still miss the Achilles Tang :( and wish I was paying more attention, during lights out.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If indeed they were not QT'd, +1 to most likely a parasite. Inspect your other fish and see if you notice anything out of the ordinary.

OP
OP
Jim-n-Sheila

Jim-n-Sheila

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took the damsels out and all is well so far. Fish look fine and are eating like pigs. The neon dottyback is still hiding but can’t resist reef chili or LRF. I still think it was the blue devil damsel.

etmanning1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for parasite/ disease.

Also, a sailfin in a 90 is insane, liveaquaria has them listed at 180 gallons minimum and they grow to almost a foot long...

OP
OP
Jim-n-Sheila

Jim-n-Sheila

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I get it. Pretty obvious what this forum is all about. Should I feel bad I’m not in your clique? upset? The internet is full of people like you all.
You won’t miss me and I’ll miss you even less

OP
OP
Jim-n-Sheila

Jim-n-Sheila

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really because one person says it and everyone jumps on the band wagon. No other ideas or possibilities it could be. Or maybe all the regulars know not to disagree with him . The problem was just as I suspected , a troublesome fish, which I removed and all is back to normal. Even after I reposted it’s still gets beaten on. Guess what all my fish are not sick and dying. And guess what else. That is clique behavior. And one more thing. if you’re not part of the solution you’re part of the problem. What’s really amazing...the fact that I took the time to respond again.

Last edited by a moderator:

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a confusing read, did messages get deleted or something? Why all the anger and hostility?

From the limited information, it certainly sounded like an aggressive tank mate or a parasite. I don't see How either theory is offensive. Maybe I missed something

Darryl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok to explain what is happening , the poster states the fish was picking on all
the QT or didn't QT never was said in the post. just that 4 weeks ago he added new fish to tank .so everybody that jumped in on this factor just can't read. yes a good thing to do but in this case the poster is concerned about a "killer in the tank" meaning a fish not parasite or disease.
once the suspected killer (bully ) was removed from the scene, the killings stoped. he is frustrated because atomatically everybody jumps to that kind of conclusion and it isn't the cases .
hope i helped .
probably not

Darryl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, it is always amazing to me when people come in looking for answers and then when they don't like what they hear, they get all upset and storm off. I saw nothing in those responses that equated to clique behavior at all.
:(

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jim-n-Sheila , may I please suggest you take a step back and see that only helpful advise was posted. No one knows exactly what happened and we can only go by what you told us.
Parasite is a valid theory. Maybe not the correct answer, but still valid and a common occurrence.
If it really was just a bully fish and you removed it, terrific. Problem solved.

adam finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t take any offense to anything that was said. When you ask a question like that people are going to give “their opinion” based off what information was provided. Parasites and diseases are pretty common in this hobby. I am pretty new to the hobby but have learned a lot over the past several months reading all the posts by people. Some people do advocate quarantining your fish before placing in your dt and some don’t. From their experience it’s what works best for them so you can observe them before adding them to your dt. I am glad you may have found the problem. I had a dottyback that was a turd roommate and am convinced he killed my fire fish after 2 days. But I didn’t quarantine either so I don’t know for sure, but he was very aggressive with the fire fish from the moment I put him in. Good luck

Scottsquatch

Third times a charm?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this all got way out of hand. I am truly glad you solved the problem. Very good news indeed. I think everybody agreed with the parasite theory because it is seen here a lot. On my part, I am sorry if I offended. I just saw the hostility and was very puzzled. This really is a great forum with typically very friendly and knowledgeble people. Please consider staying around. This is probably the friendliest and most helpful saltwater forum around. Anyway, good luck.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I get it. Pretty obvious what this forum is all about. Should I feel bad I’m not in your clique? upset? The internet is full of people like you all.

Wow kid.. Nobody did anything but you took offense because people thought parasite? People always think parasite, go to any of the reef forums and even IF they don't think its a parasite, they're still going to flame you for not QT'ing.

QT is how it's done -- Nobody ever rules out sickness. Ever.

That said. It was the fish. But that doesn't mean anybody was out to get you. Go replicate this post on other forums, see what happens.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not belong to any click and was trying to be helpful. If you don’t like my answer that’s fine. However just because you removed a fish and the deaths stoped does not prove it was the cause. I will be sure not to offer any advice the next time you ask, as I don’t want You to get you panties in a bundle. Good luck!

mandi29221

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually ppl in this forum are awesome. No one can take a wild guess on your tank. They are trying to help. If you disagree with a opinion that's fine. But to act like a middle schooler arguing with your parents is childish. These ppl are really helpful. I'm happy you figured out your ***hole fish. Because truly there is one in every tank. If you can't handle opinions don't ask for help.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 34.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back