Killing Aptasia with lasers

VaReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason I have had an out break of aptasia. My peppermint shrimp are not eating them. In looking for a way to get rid of the I see people killing them with laser. I know recently lasers that were too powerful were outlawed, Can I still buy one strong enough to kill them? If so what do I need look for?

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waste of time and money..... if you melt them with a laser, they'll just eject millions of spores in the water column to reproduce.

Only way that's been successful for me was to use AiptasiaX on the med to large ones and have a CBB eat the baby to small ones.

Aiptasia free for 3-4 years now

Last edited:

Abe K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waste of time and money..... if you melt them with a laser, they'll just eject millions of spores in the water column to reproduce.

Only way that's been successful for me was to use AiptasiaX on the med to large ones and have a CBB eat the baby to small ones.

What is CBB?

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Foolish me, I tried the laser and it is fun. But like zoa what says they will multiply, like they did in my tank. Tried Aiptasia X and same thing happens I think. So now I am free of them because I had to do a "rip clean" if you will but still get one pop up every so often and this time I will be using Frank's F-Aiptasia. edit, I used F-Aiptasia one time so far and I like it.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F Aiptasia worked for me. AipX is effective if correctly applied (big if).

Peps should have worked - unless you got an imposter Pep - many subspecies look like peps but really are not. maybe try a new one if you want to stick with natural control.

see this post: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/do-peppermint-shrimps-really-eat-aiptasia.605709/page-2
I tried AipX and did inject it into mouth and sometimes they explode or pop, i think that will also spread spores around.

Back