Killing Bubble Algae with Reef HD Reef Flux

ezcompany

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3ZHLcLz.gif

My 30 gallon had so much bubble algae that I was going to take it down after losing the fight, so as a last ditch effort I decided to test a high dose of fluconazole. I had tried a high dose earlier in the year in a different tank to test on turf algae with capsules from online, but lost SPS from what I'm guessing was fillers? This time I went with Reef HD Reef Flux after seeing good reviews but still expected the same result.

First I used a 2x dose at 40mg per gallon (2 capsule per 10 gallons), and a dozen bubble algae turned white but it wasn't much.

After a big water change I did 4x dose at 80mg per gallon (4 capsules per 10 gallons) expecting to lose corals again. Turns out it was a perfect dose :D

Over 3-4 weeks all of the bubble algae slowly turned white and died out, so about double the time of bryopsis. I only took photos of the back wall but it was EVERYWHERE in the tank and omg it looks so clean now. I haven't seen any pop back up, but might do another 4x dose in a few weeks just to make sure I wipe it out.

The tank has acros and montis, pair of clowns, LPS, flower anemones, and a few mushrooms. Nothing was affected at all, which makes me think the online capsules I used before had something in them that Reef Flux didn't. The only downside was I got a cyano bloom for a week from all that bubble algae dying in a skimmerless tank that went away after a water change.

I bought so many different products trying to kill this stuff with varying degrees of unsatisfying results from Vibrant to phosphate removers and different media, and none of them got close. If you're looking for the magic bubble algae cure this is it. I wish I'd known before losing super nice acans to bubble algae on the skeletons but it won't happen again :)

Here is a progression, time between photos is 2-4 days since changes were pretty slow compared to bryopsis.

These 2 show how much died on a 2x dose

JR26ilW.jpg

YoTIcvF.jpg

Then this was after the 4x dose

nwbJXEb.jpg

XAqrB5R.jpg

FJAoiaH.jpg

OVvP0Xi.jpg

g9XE2Hs.jpg

Time between the next 2 is around a week

KVB4tQh.jpg

NOxZaik.jpg

Here's a closer look at one of the areas, seems like that red filament algae wasn't affected.

jMcIBg4.gif

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that IS impressive.

Any problem with macros or chato ?

Hey , #reefsquad , pretty cool!

Anybody seeing similar reviews?
Wow. Impressive results! Have you noticed any negative effects in the tank?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Impressive. It's really tempting to try it out myself, but it would be very expensive to do the 4x dose in a 180 gallon tank. Somebody else try it out and see if you can repeat the results.

Reef_a_holiks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW amazing results. Tempted to try this out. I wonder if the same dose for bryopsis can do the same if you leave it in the tank for a few weeks.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool! So glad people are willing to experiment and share here! I've used it on bryopsis, but hadn't heard much at all about it on bubble algae. Thanks for sharing and congrats on saving tank, it appears!

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3ZHLcLz.gif

My 30 gallon had so much bubble algae that I was going to take it down after losing the fight, so as a last ditch effort I decided to test a high dose of fluconazole. I had tried a high dose earlier in the year in a different tank to test on turf algae with capsules from online, but lost SPS from what I'm guessing was fillers? This time I went with Reef HD Reef Flux after seeing good reviews but still expected the same result.

First I used a 2x dose at 40mg per gallon (2 capsule per 10 gallons), and a dozen bubble algae turned white but it wasn't much.

After a big water change I did 4x dose at 80mg per gallon (4 capsules per 10 gallons) expecting to lose corals again. Turns out it was a perfect dose :D

Over 3-4 weeks all of the bubble algae slowly turned white and died out, so about double the time of bryopsis. I only took photos of the back wall but it was EVERYWHERE in the tank and omg it looks so clean now. I haven't seen any pop back up, but might do another 4x dose in a few weeks just to make sure I wipe it out.

The tank has acros and montis, pair of clowns, LPS, flower anemones, and a few mushrooms. Nothing was affected at all, which makes me think the online capsules I used before had something in them that Reef Flux didn't. The only downside was I got a cyano bloom for a week from all that bubble algae dying in a skimmerless tank that went away after a water change.

I bought so many different products trying to kill this stuff with varying degrees of unsatisfying results from Vibrant to phosphate removers and different media, and none of them got close. If you're looking for the magic bubble algae cure this is it. I wish I'd known before losing super nice acans to bubble algae on the skeletons but it won't happen again :)

Here is a progression, time between photos is 2-4 days since changes were pretty slow compared to bryopsis.

These 2 show how much died on a 2x dose

JR26ilW.jpg

YoTIcvF.jpg

Then this was after the 4x dose

nwbJXEb.jpg

XAqrB5R.jpg

FJAoiaH.jpg

OVvP0Xi.jpg

g9XE2Hs.jpg

Time between the next 2 is around a week

KVB4tQh.jpg

NOxZaik.jpg

Here's a closer look at one of the areas, seems like that red filament algae wasn't affected.

jMcIBg4.gif
How and where did you acquire this product?

Reef_a_holiks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some bubble algae, no where as bad as the OPs tank but some bubble algae in some areas of the tank I would like to get rid off. 4 times the standard dose sounds a bit to much for me, so ive dosed the same dose you would for bryopsis, though im going to leave it in the tank longer before i do a water change. Instead of the 21 days that you would for bryopsis, imma try leaving it for 30-40 days and see if there is any effect on the bubble algae. Will come back with updates.

xCry0x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had bad bubble algae -- not that bad -- but still a lot.

Vibrant worked for me - but I was dosing every 3 days or so and it took a good 2 months before it finally all went away.

Either way - congrats. Bubble algae is awful, I never thought I would beat it.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some bubble algae, no where as bad as the OPs tank but some bubble algae in some areas of the tank I would like to get rid off. 4 times the standard dose sounds a bit to much for me, so ive dosed the same dose you would for bryopsis, though im going to leave it in the tank longer before i do a water change. Instead of the 21 days that you would for bryopsis, imma try leaving it for 30-40 days and see if there is any effect on the bubble algae. Will come back with updates.
Any update? It's been over 30 days.

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Impressive. It's really tempting to try it out myself, but it would be very expensive to do the 4x dose in a 180 gallon tank. Somebody else try it out and see if you can repeat the results.

Have you ever tried caustic soda on your bubble algae? I've used it on all types, and it melts away in 2-3 days.

With powerheads and return pump off:

Mix 1 gram into 10ml of RO water and use a syringe to cover the affect areas. Let sit for 10-15, turn powerheads back on and blow off with a baster or siphon out of tank. You should see the bubbles change to clear color, then disappear after 2-3 days.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That worked very well for You ! Wonder if it was on a rock only ,if you could put it in a bucket & dose that?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever tried caustic soda on your bubble algae? I've used it on all types, and it melts away in 2-3 days.

With powerheads and return pump off:

Mix 1 gram into 10ml of RO water and use a syringe to cover the affect areas. Let sit for 10-15, turn powerheads back on and blow off with a baster or siphon out of tank. You should see the bubbles change to clear color, then disappear after 2-3 days.

Nope never tried that. It won't hurt inverts/corals?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope never tried that. It won't hurt inverts/corals?
I think it has it's risks. The concentration would have to be low. So in terms of treatment, take it slow. People used to use it to raise pH and from my understanding it can raise sodium and alkalinity. It's water soluble but might be pasty at first. In regards to spot treatment, getting a little on bubble algae and letting it dissolve might be ok.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 76 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.1%

Back