Killing corraline on acrylic

  • Thread starter Thread starter BradB
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

BradB

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 27, 2009
Messages
597
Reaction score
339
Location
Hudson
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 270 mostly SPS acrylic reef. Corraline is very hard to remove and grows very fast, and over the years grows faster than I can remove it. One solution is to tear down the tank, carry it outside, and scrub everything down with muriatic acid. This is a lot of work, but the tank is good as new.

I thought I had a better idea, cover one side with opaque acrylic, and without light or flow, the corraline would eventually die. It hasn't yet.

I wonder if I can put anything between the 2 pieces of acrylic (baking soda, kalkwasser, etc) that would speed the process without hurting the tank. Any ideas?
 
I'm confused by your post if the tank is running or not... If it is running, a few urchins will do a JOB on coraline.
 
Urchins will scratch acrylic. Speaking from experience I dosed H2O2 for two weeks at 6ml a week and low and behold it killed off ALL Coralline from the glass & overflow [emoji2]
 
Tank is running, I have a few fish that might eat urchins, but have tried tons of urchins in the past. Seems like shoveling snow with a spoon - urchins make a dent, but it is nothing compared to what grows. And they do scratch acrylic.
 
I don't know if there is a dose of hydrogen peroxide that will even dent corraline without killing coral or fish. Not an experiment I want to try.
 
Vinegar might help between the 2 pieces of acrylic. You'd have to be careful how much you are adding on a daily basis though. It would likely be a slow process doing small spots each day.
 
Any luck with anything other than the huge longspines? They are real buildozers, and I can't see adding the dozen or so it would take.
 
If you don't mind Asterina Starfish, I have quite a few that keep my coralline away. People talk bad about them eating corals but I've had no issues in almost 3 years.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 30.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 17 14.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new