Killing dino in days!

kuansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dealt with dino/diatom for 3 months in my SPS tank of 2 years old, started with cyno. I have tried every product available out there to stop it as it has been killing my SPS.

Here is the sequence of the events:

· Dosed KZ coral snow

· Treated with Chemiclean red slime remover

· Dosed KZ A-balance + cynoclean

cyno gone but huge bloom of diatom and dino so I have

· Run GFO, dosed NOPOX, run chem clean blue and activated carbon to lower nitrate and phosphate.

· done huge water change

· Dosed Hydrogen peroxide

· Dosed bacteria products by KZ and macrobactor7

· Dosed Vibrant aquarium cleaner

None of these works over the past 3 months. As a matter of fact, dino has become stronger and started killing my SPS aggressively. My nitrate and phosphate has been either 0 or close to 0 and I know huge water change would only make it worse. Since I have nothing to lose and run out of patience I decided to raise nitrate today to kill dino so I dosed these all together:

Reef Roids
oyster fest
phyto fest
sponge power
amino acid
NeoNitro
shut down skimmer

So far my SPS is very happy! Dino is looking weak. Let's see how long it takes to kill dino or if this route works at all.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trochus snails 1 per 5g to destroy cyano

fighting conch 1 per 50g to keep diatoms off sand (keep it stirred up, not sure that they eat it but they might)

Hows you speckled kraks?? Must be ready to frag by now almost :)

OP
OP
kuansreef

kuansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trochus snails 1 per 5g to destroy cyano

fighting conch 1 per 50g to keep diatoms off sand (keep it stirred up, not sure that they eat it but they might)

Hows you speckled kraks?? Must be ready to frag by now almost :)
My speckled kraks took over my tank. didn't know they are invasive, have to remove them with weedkiller

OP
OP
kuansreef

kuansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 2:
Continued heavy feeding and dosed Fuel, nitrate and phosphate (tested to be sure under 3ppm).
dino/diatom noticeably receding

OP
OP
kuansreef

kuansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 3:
Dino/diatom came back hard and I didn't like the idea of raising phosphate and nitrate to grow something to out compete diatom/dino.

So I did a blackout for 4 hours (not liking a long blackout to stress corals/fish) while dripping kalk water (2 tsp/g) to raise PH, dosed Vibrant and hydrogen peroxide. 4 hours later, 90% diatom gone, 70% dino gone.
This treatment can be done before light shut off tonight. I will continue dripping kalk and dosing hydrogen peroxide before light off tonight

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish you luck! I had Dino in my biocube and its some nasty stuff. I was actually planning an upgrade when it first showed up. I moved the corals over to a low light temporary tank and did dips. Then I let the new tank really "break in" and mature for a while before introducing the corals. So far it hasn't come back. I've got my fingers crossed.

Medic755

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a dino issue as well. It was much worse off but now is just noticeable in a few spots on the rocks now and then but nothing large. I use the Apex and Kalk in the ATO to keep the pH around 8.2-8.4 and I raised my mag to 1500 and let my phos come up to 0.08 and nitrate to 15. And it seemed like overnight it went away. I can't say what option did it but at least it's manageable and only sprouts up now and then.

B.Olson85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how i got rid of my dinos. First I have not done a water change in 2 to 3 weeks to raise nitrate. Nitrates are hanging around 5ppm and phos at 0ppm. I stopped dosing fuel and reef roids and only feed fish lightly. I am dosing kalk with my ATO and I dose carbon to keep dino die offs from poising water. I did this for about 2 weeks then i did a one day partial black out with just shutting off tank lights then I did a two day complete black out. I kick on lights today and no sign of dinos. I will be doing a water change and replacing carbon today hopefully I will be good moving forward.

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I killed mine in 5 days after suffering with it for a week. I bought a UV sterilizer which took 3 days to get to me me,so I killed it in 2 days. None since and that was months ago. I also thru out my GFO and don't use it no more.
What I got in return was GHA. Months into that fight I'm slowly winning. I should have it mostly beat with-in another month or two without lower my nitrate and phospate to zero and getting Dinos back.
Oh and I love my snails my back glass is spotless including most of the coralline algae that was growing all over it. At least the black glass that is the front of the AIO sump thay stay away from and the coralline is growing good there and on the rocks where there isn't any GHA.

serez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I killed mine in 5 days after suffering with it for a week. I bought a UV sterilizer which took 3 days to get to me me,so I killed it in 2 days. None since and that was months ago. I also thru out my GFO and don't use it no more.
What I got in return was GHA. Months into that fight I'm slowly winning. I should have it mostly beat with-in another month or two without lower my nitrate and phospate to zero and getting Dinos back.
Oh and I love my snails my back glass is spotless including most of the coralline algae that was growing all over it. At least the black glass that is the front of the AIO sump thay stay away from and the coralline is growing good there and on the rocks where there isn't any GHA.
My tank is only 2 months old and I had very bad GHA the first month or so. I used Vibrant and it worked very well for GHA. I only used it once and the GHA was gone with some manual removal. I had a LOT of GHA in my 20 gallon tank. My urchin also ate a lot of it. But I happened to use vibrant again few weeks after my GHA was gone, at this time my nitrate was very low around 0.1. Phosphate was like 0.5 but I had just started to run phosguard. (I suspect it had something to do with the Dino outbreak???) The Dino got really bad from that point on. Also it’s my first time switching from once a week waterchange to once every 2 weeks. I’m due to do my first water change in 2 weeks tomorrow. And I’m going to dose nitrate to 2ppm and get the phosphate to be around 0.1ppm. And see what happens...

serez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is only 2 months old and I had very bad GHA the first month or so. I used Vibrant and it worked very well for GHA. I only used it once and the GHA was gone with some manual removal. I had a LOT of GHA in my 2 gallon tank. My urchin also ate a lot of it. But I happened to use vibrant again few weeks after my GHA was gone, at this time my nitrate was very low around 0.1. Phosphate was like normal level but I started to run phosguard. (I suspect it had something to do with the Dino outbreak) The Dino got really bad from that point on. Also it’s my first time switching from once a week waterchange to once every 2 weeks. I’m due to do my first water change in 2 weeks tomorrow. And I’m going to dose nitrate to 2ppm and get the phosphate to be around 0.1ppm. And see what happens...
20 gallon sorry

johnreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 3:
Dino/diatom came back hard and I didn't like the idea of raising phosphate and nitrate to grow something to out compete diatom/dino.

So I did a blackout for 4 hours (not liking a long blackout to stress corals/fish) while dripping kalk water (2 tsp/g) to raise PH, dosed Vibrant and hydrogen peroxide. 4 hours later, 90% diatom gone, 70% dino gone.
This treatment can be done before light shut off tonight. I will continue dripping kalk and dosing hydrogen peroxide before light off tonight
any update? you eventually win the battle?

Back