Kleini butterfly reefsafety and care

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS just got in some Kleini butterflies(restraining the urge to say “a**erflies), and I had found a few sources stating that they are a hardy fish, so I was thinking to pick one up for the aips that neither me nor my engineer could reach. However, I am not certain whether they’re reef safe. Reports state that the variant with an obvious blue stripe above the eyes are reef safe, but I can’t tell if that is the case. Here’s an image.
1696093915010.jpeg

I also have a contingency plan in place for copperbands, and they do have one of those, but I don’t trust these fish long term. I did hear the Kleini is one of the hardiest butterflyfishes, so if I can get a confirmation on that that’ll be great.

Stealthreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume basically any butterfly is going to nip corals. I also assume they will never eat prepared foods and end in a guilt tripping session of "I told you so" in the mirror.
Make sure you see them eat prepared food in the store. Make sure you're okay with nipped coral.
I have a fish that will eat zoas randomly and get so ticked about it that I built a zoa tank just to stop getting mad about them when they start going missing and I see that sly grin on my fish's face.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume basically any butterfly is going to nip corals. I also assume they will never eat prepared foods and end in a guilt tripping session of "I told you so" in the mirror.
Make sure you see them eat prepared food in the store. Make sure you're okay with nipped coral.
I have a fish that will eat zoas randomly and get so ticked about it that I built a zoa tank just to stop getting mad about them when they start going missing and I see that sly grin on my fish's face.
I’m not planning to make the purchase today(unless I can see it eating PE mysis immediately), but the hope is just them being reef - safe and easier to take care of. I can get a copperband instead, which is roughly the same price, but I don’t want to risk it not working out. They ain’t got molly miller blennies and berghias are way overpriced.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, just got back, the kleinis didn't seem to be much interested in mysis. Only one of the copperbands actually ate as well, but he's been spoken for. Guess I'll go after a copperband that's still alive next week.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back