Klir Filter Review.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense to divert some of the output so that you can get more gph into the display.
Hopefully this will solve your problem, good luck.
I like your breeding setup!

OP
OP
J

jrizo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very very disappointed and frustrated.
Just about to give up on this filter.

I install a new filter roll this morning and turn the filter around so the sensor is not facing the flow of the water and I just check on the filter and the roll has been rolled up to the dirty side, not even twelve hours, as you can see in the pictures the water label is not even close to the optical sensor .

79D5020A-5333-488F-A86D-2036F5D6B479.jpeg
50432E2C-45CF-4E7E-8F73-ACE7CBD6B17A.jpeg
9E4483D8-CA2D-460E-A5C8-F61B9925419C.jpeg

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jrizo1,
Contact Coralvue and see if they can troubleshoot the problem for you, it could be a bad controller.

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, thank you both for commenting on the Klir. I have been considering purchasing one for quite some time, however, I have been reading a lot of bad reviews. Sounds like these problems that are pointed out are common, but are they repairable? Do you each feel its still a good purchase for what it is meant to do? Thank you again!

OP
OP
J

jrizo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, thank you both for commenting on the Klir. I have been considering purchasing one for quite some time, however, I have been reading a lot of bad reviews. Sounds like these problems that are pointed out are common, but are they repairable? Do you each feel its still a good purchase for what it is meant to do? Thank you again!

Honestly is too early too tell. You should wait until they fix the issues.

OP
OP
J

jrizo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
11/17/18 update
Back to filter socks.
after going through 3 fleece roll and as suggested from pecan2phat I decide to contact Coralvue.
they are sending me a new version of the bottom assembly that should fix the snagging issue.
and also they are sending me a new controller that has better logic and will help prevent the fleece being used up all at once.
I will update once get the parts and reinstall the Klir.

Chad3407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue with the original controller. But since I got the new one it has been fine. My only complaint is I'm only getting 2 weeks out of a roll. At 15$ it's going to be very costly in the long run.

OP
OP
J

jrizo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue with the original controller. But since I got the new one it has been fine. My only complaint is I'm only getting 2 weeks out of a roll. At 15$ it's going to be very costly in the long run.
I am happy to hear that the new controller works.

On the other hand, how dirty does the fleece gets?

Two weeks does not sound right , unless you feed very heavy.

Have you seen the water label reach the sensor?
The reason I ask is because the sensor could be just getting wet and making the motor roll, just like mine is doing right now and if the new controller has a time limit every time the sensor turn it on, I could be rolling fleece earlier than it should.

Chad3407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am happy to hear that the new controller works.

On the other hand, how dirty does the fleece gets?

Two weeks does not sound right , unless you feed very heavy.

Have you seen the water label reach the sensor?
The reason I ask is because the sensor could be just getting wet and making the motor roll, just like mine is doing right now and if the new controller has a time limit every time the sensor turn it on, I could be rolling fleece earlier than it should.

The filter is very dirty and I now is working correct. The tank is 120gallon and I feed 2 cubes a day for 8 fish and I dont run the return pump when feeding to prevent food going down the drain. I feel the biggest issue is I run a barebottom tank and the water column just stay dirtier. I'm hoping once the tank matures more it will settle down and a roll will last longer .

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My unit is in an IceCap 30 sump and a 180g tank with roughly 650 gph return.
I feed mysis and pellets everyday and have a leopard wrasse that kicks up sand, having said this, I'm still on my 1st fleece roll at 77 days.
I'm gonna say that I'm one of the luckier ones then.

OP
OP
J

jrizo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My unit is in an IceCap 30 sump and a 180g tank with roughly 650 gph return.
I feed mysis and pellets everyday and have a leopard wrasse that kicks up sand, having said this, I'm still on my 1st fleece roll at 77 days.
I'm gonna say that I'm one of the luckier ones then.
how is the small?
I have an IceCap 30Reef Sump With one Klir Filter on a 150gal reef tank about 700GPH. a do have quit a few fish and feed heavily, fleece is about 35 days old and getting some what stinky.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There definitely is a "smell" in the area around the stand that wasn't there before but not bad enough for me to do anything about it though.

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine varies. I run two klirs on one controller. I gotten 30 days and then once 4 days. The new set is on 3 weeks. I got the new bottom from Coralvue but they look identical to the original. Not sure what's the difference. Let's see if it snags. But I notice a definite clarity in my water and that's a plus. I stopped using socks cause it was tedious to take out and wash every 3-4 days. This definitely saves me some time and it's worth the cost for me. Having a crystal clear tank is a plus.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured out the difference or change with the replacement bottoms that CoralVue are sending out.
The 2 bottom rollers are about 1/8" higher. Maybe and hopefully this resolves the snagging problem.
They also replaced the nylon screw and made it shorter.

Consman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really hope they fixed the issues. I got one from BRS during their sales, but probably wont get a chance to install it until the first of the year. I have to rebuild my sump to be able to use it first lol

OP
OP
J

jrizo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the new parts from Coralvue for my faulty klir filter
New improved controller that will help to eliminate the problem with the fleece rolling up all at once.

New bottom ansambly to eliminate the snagging problem
We will see.

EE1F1FD4-4D34-4A5F-9225-D3D0A678AF6D.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jrizo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so new controller is installed, new bottom part of the filter installed and a brand new fleece roll

Let see how it goes this time around.

Also installed the klir in the front hole with the sensor facing the from of the sump as suggested by Coralvue

AD1B44EA-00CD-4FB1-8BC2-C47F52AE7F12.jpeg
85180A84-2578-4004-9885-44772188268D.jpeg
702B6C16-6BED-403B-8F88-C4F2B3004A5E.jpeg

OP
OP
J

jrizo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the new improved bottom seems to fix the snagging problem.

And the new controller definitely works 3 days now with out any incidents.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 42.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 21.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back