OP
OP
J

jrizo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to apologize for taking so long to update this thread.
I took the klir of the sump and did a lot bench testing, I found a lot of problems with the unit, I contacted Coralvue, again and they send me all the parts that where where needed to fix the problems.

#1 I was wrong about the new controller not staying on. Well it turned out that the controller turns off and on. ones you plug it in, the lights on the controller turn on for a few seconds and then it turns off. All you have to do is top the reset bottom and it turns back on. So problem one fixed.

#2 The optical sensor was bad it fail 7 times out of 10. The motor won’t stop turning even with the sensor out of the water unless it was wiped dried with a paper towel.
The sensor was replaced with a new one.
Problem fixed.

#3 the motor stoped turning ones there was 1/4 of the roll rolled on the dirty side and the clean fleece became wet.
The motor was defective. New motor was installed problem fixed.

# 4 even with new motor, new Sensor, new controler and New bottom of the filter the fleece keep snagging.
Problem: The fleece takes sharp 90° turn from the clean side going into the bottom of the filter, ones the clean fleece get wet there is too much resistance at that turn and the motor can’t handle it, stops turning and the alarm stars beeping.
Solution: I took a fine sand paper and round the turn. And guess what?
Problem fixed. The filter is been running since dec 22 2018 with any problems.

OP
OP
J

jrizo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90° sharp turn.

CCAFC218-91BC-48E5-A344-7D107E144065.jpeg

OP
OP
J

jrizo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also made my own whole cover I was tired of the other one pupping up every time the pump was turned off.

2908BC24-C4A8-4C43-9DF4-BA9CFC065008.jpeg

Consman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Thank you for continuing to work on this.
Has coralvue said they were going to make these changes? Or maybe send out these updates for those already purchased?

OP
OP
J

jrizo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has coralvue said they were going to make these changes? Or maybe send out these updates for those already purchased?
I believe They are sending new controllers and bottom ensemble as people request it.

OP
OP
J

jrizo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a reply t from CoralVue on FB they said they fixed the 90° sharp turn on the newer units.

SaltMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my experience with the #Klir Filter 4” version that I would like to share.

DT: Red Sea Reefer 250
Sump: IceCap 30 Reef Sump
Pumps: Varios-4 in both skimmer and return
I have 8 fish and a few corals.

I cleaned my sump and installed the Klir Filter on 10/3/2018

This is about a week later and I notice detritus is starting to accumulate on the bottom of the sump.

IMG-8906.JPG

Another week passes by with more detritus accumulating. I have also had issues with the motor not turning and making a loud clicking noise. I pulled the Klir filter out to determine the issue but not sure why it is binding. The fleece is difficult to pull through even by hand and the entire new roll is saturated with water. Cleaned everything, installed a new roll and start over.

IMG-8960.JPG

IMG-9039.JPG

IMG-8962.JPG

Another week goes by and more detritus accumulating…

IMG-9015.JPG

IMG-9150.JPG

11/2/2018 Another new roll is saturated with water and the roll will not turn again. I found the fleece is snagging on the PVC that this product is made out of. I contacted CoralVue and they told me it was a snail, rock, or tube worm that caused the problem.

I disassembled the Klir again and found the paper had become caught between the edge of the bottom roller and sidewall causing the tear, there was no small snail, rock, or tube worm present. There are also many sharp edges throughout the build of this product.

Klir Media Torn.jpg

At this time, they admitted there was a problem with the lower rollers being too close to the bottom edge and the fleece could become snagged and sent me a new bottom half. Interesting that I had to give very detailed information with pictures about the problem before they offered to do this.

I installed the new lower half on my Klir and restart once again.

I am still experiencing a good amount of detritus in my sump that is getting past this filter so I once again contacted CoraView and this is what they tell me:

Filter socks allows for more disruptive flow to get through which prevents silt from settling at the bottom. The Klir does a great job of creating passive flow.

The Klir does not claim that is going to keep your sump pristine clean. It also do not claim that it will catch 99.99% of all debris. It does claim that your water will be cleaner of free floating debris and it will make it easier for you in terms of maintenance as you do not have to worry about replacing filter socks every other day.

The packaging states that water is filtered down to 50 microns, but stuff still gets by.

IMG-9040.JPG

I have also had a problem with the take up spindle breaking and this is their reply:

We are sorry about the spindle. The new version of the waste spindle is built differently so that issue is no longer happening. To temporarily fix the one you have, you can just take a little super glue and let it cure for a couple of hours. All replacement rolls come with a new waste spindle so once you get a new roll, you wont need to use the old spindle anymore.

Be sure to tape the paper fleece to the spindle and use duct tape as it is good to grip even when the fleece is wet. Other tape does not work so well

I am experiencing a good amount of detritus in my sump so much so that it has clogged up my pumps to the point where they stop running, this has happened twice so far. I might be having less maintenance not cleaning filter socks every few days but now I am now having to do a complete tear down of the Klir, my skimmer, and return pump once a month to keep it running, I do not feel this is a truly beneficial trade off.

Another note; the detritus that it does remove becomes quite stinky and even with the carbon insert, it’s a pretty nasty smell.

IMG-9628.JPG

1/8/2019
I am done with this filter and removed it from my sump. I am not looking for a pristine and immaculate looking sump but I do expect a filter to catch most of this detritus so it does not clog up other components of my system or affect the well being of the life that lives within it. As of now it is sitting in a bucket and I feel a bit ripped off of the investment I was led to believe to have a clean system.

Words from the packaging is simply not true in my experience:

Mechanical Filtration At It’s Finest
Results in crystal clear water filtered down to 50 microns double the filtering capacity of most filter socks.
Waste is removed from the water column before it has time to break down, helping to maintain low nutrient parameters.

OP
OP
J

jrizo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my experience with the #Klir Filter 4” version that I would like to share.

This is about a week later and I notice detritus is starting to accumulate on the bottom of the sump.

IMG-8906.JPG

Another week passes by with more detritus accumulating. I have also had issues with the motor not turning and making a loud clicking noise. I pulled the Klir filter out to determine the issue but not sure why it is binding. The fleece is difficult to pull through even by hand and the entire new roll is saturated with water. Cleaned everything, installed a new roll and start over.

IMG-8960.JPG

IMG-9039.JPG

IMG-8962.JPG

IMG-9015.JPG

IMG-9150.JPG

11/2/2018 Another new roll is saturated with water and the roll will not turn again. I found the fleece is snagging on the PVC that this product is made out of. I contacted CoralVue and they told me it was a snail, rock, or tube worm that caused the problem.

I disassembled the Klir again and found the paper had become caught between the edge of the bottom roller and sidewall causing the tear, there was no small snail, rock, or tube worm present. There are also many sharp edges throughout the build of this product.

Klir Media Torn.jpg

At this time, they admitted there was a problem with the lower rollers being too close to the bottom edge and the fleece could become snagged and sent me a new bottom half. Interesting that I had to give very detailed information with pictures about the problem before they offered to do this.

I am still experiencing a good amount of detritus in my sump that is getting past this filter so I once again contacted CoraView and this is what they tell me:

Filter socks allows for more disruptive flow to get through which prevents silt from settling at the bottom. The Klir does a great job of creating passive flow.

The Klir does not claim that is going to keep your sump pristine clean. It also do not claim that it will catch 99.99% of all debris. It does claim that your water will be cleaner of free floating debris and it will make it easier for you in terms of maintenance as you do not have to worry about replacing filter socks every other day.

The packaging states that water is filtered down to 50 microns, but stuff still gets by.

IMG-9040.JPG

I have also had a problem with the take up spindle breaking and this is their reply:

We are sorry about the spindle. The new version of the waste spindle is built differently so that issue is no longer happening. To temporarily fix the one you have, you can just take a little super glue and let it cure for a couple of hours. All replacement rolls come with a new waste spindle so once you get a new roll, you wont need to use the old spindle anymore.

Be sure to tape the paper fleece to the spindle and use duct tape as it is good to grip even when the fleece is wet. Other tape does not work so well

I am experiencing a good amount of detritus in my sump so much so that it has clogged up my pumps to the point where they stop running, this has happened twice so far. I might be having less maintenance not cleaning filter socks every few days but now I am now having to do a complete tear down of the Klir, my skimmer, and return pump once a month to keep it running, I do not feel this is a truly beneficial trade off.

Another note; the detritus that it does remove becomes quite stinky and even with the carbon insert, it’s a pretty nasty smell.

IMG-9628.JPG

1/8/2019
I am done with this filter and removed it from my sump. I am not looking for a pristine and immaculate looking sump but I do expect a filter to catch most of this detritus so it does not clog up other components of my system or affect the well being of the life that lives within it. As of now it is sitting in a bucket and I feel a bit ripped off of the investment I was led to believe to have a clean system.

Results in crystal clear water filtered down to 50 microns double the filtering capacity of most filter socks.
Waste is removed from the water column before it has time to break down, helping to maintain low nutrient parameters.

I asked the same question and got the same answer.
It will never compare to a filter sock and it will never be as good as a filter sock.

OP
OP
J

jrizo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG-8906.JPG

IMG-8960.JPG

IMG-9039.JPG

IMG-8962.JPG

IMG-9015.JPG

IMG-9150.JPG

Klir Media Torn.jpg

IMG-9040.JPG

IMG-9628.JPG

1/8/2019

Here is what I think it happens.
The fleet paper is to slippery (smooth)
So the solids don’t attach to it like they do in a filter sock. it just keeps tumbling until they pulverize and go through the Fleece paper and as soon as the fleece paper star to roll up it fell of the outside of the fleece paper and it ends on the bottom of the sump.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fleece rolls are supposed to be like that, they're made to be hydrophobic.

DAPG8GT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious what kind of life are you guys getting on the rolls? Weekly?

I've had it for 45 days and tonight it came off my system . 6 weeks = about $75 in fleece for me on my new tank with just 6 small fish ..

And FYI I found out it's just coolant paper. You can buy it in bulk on eBay but you would have to roll your own to fit in the small chamber..About 1|8th to 1|10th the $ and more options on micron ratings.

Last edited:

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it is coolant roll and you can buy it easily elsewhere but.....
besides being able to cut the roll cleanly, you'll also have to unwind and rewind a new spool since none that I have seen will be 25 yards. It'll be too big and bulky to fit into your KLIR otherwise.
My first roll, I got 12 weeks and a day from it.
On the second roll now and it's been 7 weeks so far.

OP
OP
J

jrizo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious what kind of life are you guys getting on the rolls? Weekly?

I've had it for 45 days and tonight it came off my system . 6 weeks = about $75 in fleece for me on my new tank with just 6 small fish ..

And FYI I found out it's just coolant paper. You can buy it in bulk on eBay but you would have to roll your own to fit in the small chamber..About 1|8th to 1|10th the $ and more options on micron ratings.
I am getting 6-7 weeks but I feed very heavy

DAPG8GT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply's on filter life. I can't see why mine was going through so many rolls so quickly.. There has to be something wrong with the controller or something .

I've even done as above and slowed the flow down so much that the turn over rate into the display is pitiful.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back