Klir Filter Review.

Jo P White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply's on filter life. I can't see why mine was going through so many rolls so quickly.. There has to be something wrong with the controller or something .

I've even done as above and slowed the flow down so much that the turn over rate into the display is pitiful.
One of the issues I’ve had is the unit rolling up unused material, wasting it completely. It just happened yesterday again and have recontacted tech support. I’ve already received a new controller and cage unit so I’m not sure what they’ll say now.

I also have an issue with the sump being filthy, I’m disappointed in the unit’s performace. I foresee myself giving up and only attempting to use it when I go on vacation to elevate one burden of the house sitter.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have your optical sensor mounted vertically vs horizontal?
This can throw off the sensor function and cause the controller to roll.

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have your optical sensor mounted vertically vs horizontal?
This can throw off the sensor function and cause the controller to roll.
Man, I wish I would,have seen these posts prior to ordering one myself. Gotmit assembled, but not installed yet. Question, which way should the sensor be positioned? Vertical, horizontal?

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Installed my Klir. Had to dremmel the heck out of it, sharp edges that rip fleece, bottom place to fit red sea reefer 250. Full details under page 10 of my build below.

wmo168

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the issues I’ve had is the unit rolling up unused material, wasting it completely. It just happened yesterday again and have recontacted tech support. I’ve already received a new controller and cage unit so I’m not sure what they’ll say now.

I also have an issue with the sump being filthy, I’m disappointed in the unit’s performace. I foresee myself giving up and only attempting to use it when I go on vacation to elevate one burden of the house sitter.

I would not use it for vacation as when the roller stuck it caused water to drain higher resulting in my ATO kicks in since it require more water. This thing you have to keep an eye on it.

However I would agree instead of changing filter socks every few days and having to clean the tank every 10 days. Now It allows me to ignore it and do a big cleaning ones a month when I do big water change

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good god, from all the posts, this klir thing doesn't seem to work ;Bookworm at least not easily...

scratch this one off...

which other product has the smallest footprint? sheesh just checked, thielings are rated at 500 or 600 gph, too small for us, assuming they work lols. looks like we're gonna haveta diy a filter pad tray!

Last edited:

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my experience with the #Klir Filter 4” version that I would like to share.

DT: Red Sea Reefer 250
Sump: IceCap 30 Reef Sump
Pumps: Varios-4 in both skimmer and return
I have 8 fish and a few corals.

I cleaned my sump and installed the Klir Filter on 10/3/2018

This is about a week later and I notice detritus is starting to accumulate on the bottom of the sump.

IMG-8906.JPG

Another week passes by with more detritus accumulating. I have also had issues with the motor not turning and making a loud clicking noise. I pulled the Klir filter out to determine the issue but not sure why it is binding. The fleece is difficult to pull through even by hand and the entire new roll is saturated with water. Cleaned everything, installed a new roll and start over.

IMG-8960.JPG

IMG-9039.JPG

IMG-8962.JPG

Another week goes by and more detritus accumulating…

IMG-9015.JPG

IMG-9150.JPG

11/2/2018 Another new roll is saturated with water and the roll will not turn again. I found the fleece is snagging on the PVC that this product is made out of. I contacted CoralVue and they told me it was a snail, rock, or tube worm that caused the problem.

I disassembled the Klir again and found the paper had become caught between the edge of the bottom roller and sidewall causing the tear, there was no small snail, rock, or tube worm present. There are also many sharp edges throughout the build of this product.

Klir Media Torn.jpg

At this time, they admitted there was a problem with the lower rollers being too close to the bottom edge and the fleece could become snagged and sent me a new bottom half. Interesting that I had to give very detailed information with pictures about the problem before they offered to do this.

I installed the new lower half on my Klir and restart once again.

I am still experiencing a good amount of detritus in my sump that is getting past this filter so I once again contacted CoraView and this is what they tell me:

Filter socks allows for more disruptive flow to get through which prevents silt from settling at the bottom. The Klir does a great job of creating passive flow.

The Klir does not claim that is going to keep your sump pristine clean. It also do not claim that it will catch 99.99% of all debris. It does claim that your water will be cleaner of free floating debris and it will make it easier for you in terms of maintenance as you do not have to worry about replacing filter socks every other day.

The packaging states that water is filtered down to 50 microns, but stuff still gets by.

IMG-9040.JPG

I have also had a problem with the take up spindle breaking and this is their reply:

We are sorry about the spindle. The new version of the waste spindle is built differently so that issue is no longer happening. To temporarily fix the one you have, you can just take a little super glue and let it cure for a couple of hours. All replacement rolls come with a new waste spindle so once you get a new roll, you wont need to use the old spindle anymore.

Be sure to tape the paper fleece to the spindle and use duct tape as it is good to grip even when the fleece is wet. Other tape does not work so well

I am experiencing a good amount of detritus in my sump so much so that it has clogged up my pumps to the point where they stop running, this has happened twice so far. I might be having less maintenance not cleaning filter socks every few days but now I am now having to do a complete tear down of the Klir, my skimmer, and return pump once a month to keep it running, I do not feel this is a truly beneficial trade off.

Another note; the detritus that it does remove becomes quite stinky and even with the carbon insert, it’s a pretty nasty smell.

IMG-9628.JPG

1/8/2019
I am done with this filter and removed it from my sump. I am not looking for a pristine and immaculate looking sump but I do expect a filter to catch most of this detritus so it does not clog up other components of my system or affect the well being of the life that lives within it. As of now it is sitting in a bucket and I feel a bit ripped off of the investment I was led to believe to have a clean system.

Words from the packaging is simply not true in my experience:

Mechanical Filtration At It’s Finest
Results in crystal clear water filtered down to 50 microns double the filtering capacity of most filter socks.
Waste is removed from the water column before it has time to break down, helping to maintain low nutrient parameters.

Wow. I really want to get the Klir DI-7, but from reading this and other stuff that I have read, I just cannot get myself to click "Order". With the issues that are occurring, they should include extra filter rolls with the unit. I would be upset if I had this and a new roll was spent in less than the time a normal filter sock does. I think on this I'll have to hold out for version 2. Sucks because I really wanted to get this unit.

But before I make the final decision, to those other users out there, are you experiencing similar issues? I just do not recall seeing anyone have the unit and run into minimal issues. Anyone with the Klir DI-7?

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. I really want to get the Klir DI-7, but from reading this and other stuff that I have read, I just cannot get myself to click "Order". With the issues that are occurring, they should include extra filter rolls with the unit. I would be upset if I had this and a new roll was spent in less than the time a normal filter sock does. I think on this I'll have to hold out for version 2. Sucks because I really wanted to get this unit.

But before I make the final decision, to those other users out there, are you experiencing similar issues? I just do not recall seeing anyone have the unit and run into minimal issues. Anyone with the Klir DI-7?
CoralVue sent me a replacement bottom assembly, new controller and a new sensor. I dremmeled the inside, same way as with the other one and knock on wood, it works good so far. Happy. DI-4 here. Water crystal clear, no filter socks anymore. All smiles here.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baby Snails :(
They're the unexpected for roller mats and ripping fleece rolls!

Jo P White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral he is now sending me replacement rolls of fleece that are supposed to have a plastic roller instead of the cardboard. The cardboard becomes wet in the unit and is supposed to be the reason the motor is unable to pull material, too much resistance. We’ll see when they come in, my unit is again sitting in a bucket and I have socks back in the sump.

PatReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I will receive mine(DI-7) Wednesday, February 20. I made the purchase before reading this thread! Let's hope I did not throw my money to waste. I will keep you informed.

PatReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will receive mine(DI-7) Wednesday, February 20. I made the purchase before reading this thread! Let's hope I did not throw my money to waste. I will keep you informed.

I received and installed my DI-7 last night. No problem for assembly. By cons, I have not seen any improvement in manufacturing vs DI-4. So possible problem of jamming filter paper, we'll see. Capacity seems good because since 12 hours of use there has been no advance paper.

What is the meaning of the status of the led on the controller? Currently there is ''motor'': state blue and ''Power'': flashing red

It's OK?

PatReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received and installed my DI-7 last night. No problem for assembly. By cons, I have not seen any improvement in manufacturing vs DI-4. So possible problem of jamming filter paper, we'll see. Capacity seems good because since 12 hours of use there has been no advance paper.

What is the meaning of the status of the led on the controller? Currently there is ''motor'': state blue and ''Power'': flashing red

It's OK?

Looks like my controller is faulty. Very good service at Coralvue, I received a return to my service request(email) within one hour! They must send me a new one.

For your information, here is what the LEDs on the controller represent:
- Solid Red = Controller is powered up
- Solid Blue = Motor is powered up but idle
- Flashing Blue = Motor is engaged and advancing fleece
- Flashing red with audible alarm = means that one of the following things happened:
1) The motor ran constantly for more than 1 minute
2) The motor ran constantly 3 independent times within a minute.

If any of the two issues happened, the controller will stop the motor, flash a red light AND sound an alarm letting you know that there is something wrong. It does that so the unit does not waste an entire fleece roll in a matter of hours.

firechief1501

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saturday Update.
The Good:
ok so on Nov 30th (Last Friday) the new controller was installed and it seems to work, haven't have any more incidents with the fleece rolling all the way at ones.

The Bad:
The New (improved) Bottom did not do the trick.
a noise alarm sound woke me up last night around 3:00am the sound was coming from the klir controller. the water level was way over the sensor and the fleece was't rolling, it got snagged. pull some dirty fleece by hand, push the reset bottom and roll up all dirty fleece. Alarm sound turned off so I when back to sleep.
my wife call me around 10:00am at work and said that there was a noise coming from the fish room. I ask her to just unplug the controller and that I will fix it when I get home. well same problem, the motor was not turning. I ones again pull some very dirty fleece by hand and manually push the bottom on the controller and roll it all up.
so we are back to square one, the fleece is snagging.

Note. the motor seems to straggle to turn even after all the dirty fleece was rolled up. dirty fleece is about 50% rolled wet and dirty.
Look at the top of the tower edge were the fleece turn at a 90 and goes under the next roller... the edge is to sharp and it will snag the fleece and the motor will not pull it.. sand the edge off rounded and see if that stops the snagging.. help mine. but still having trouble with this thing not working and using up the roll.

OP
OP
J

jrizo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the top of the tower edge were the fleece turn at a 90 and goes under the next roller... the edge is to sharp and it will snag the fleece and the motor will not pull it.. sand the edge off rounded and see if that stops the snagging.. help mine. but still having trouble with this thing not working and using up the roll.

i did that on both sides while ago.

PatReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like my controller is faulty. Very good service at Coralvue, I received a return to my service request(email) within one hour! They must send me a new one.

For your information, here is what the LEDs on the controller represent:
- Solid Red = Controller is powered up
- Solid Blue = Motor is powered up but idle
- Flashing Blue = Motor is engaged and advancing fleece
- Flashing red with audible alarm = means that one of the following things happened:
1) The motor ran constantly for more than 1 minute
2) The motor ran constantly 3 independent times within a minute.

If any of the two issues happened, the controller will stop the motor, flash a red light AND sound an alarm letting you know that there is something wrong. It does that so the unit does not waste an entire fleece roll in a matter of hours.

Update
I received the new controller, finally. My Klir DI-7 has been running since Friday night and no problem to report. The fleece goes through the original path without bypass. I followed the previous advice and rounded some edges.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back