Klir Filter Review.

Mike Jenkins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that’s crazy. Were you running socks before switching to a Klir? How long would they last before you had to replace them?

To answer your question I have a 120G and I replace the 25yd roll about every 6-8 weeks
It’s a newer system, had the Klir running before I started adding fish so I have no real comparisons for socks. Think I’m going to run socks for a few weeks and see how quickly they clog.

I have been doing daily dosing of microbacter7 and biofuel trying to build up a healthy bacteria colony. Maybe the bacteria is clogging? It’s just a mystery to me because water stops flowing through the paper so quickly but the paper isn’t visibly that dirty...

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a newer system, had the Klir running before I started adding fish so I have no real comparisons for socks. Think I’m going to run socks for a few weeks and see how quickly they clog.

I have been doing daily dosing of microbacter7 and biofuel trying to build up a healthy bacteria colony. Maybe the bacteria is clogging? It’s just a mystery to me because water stops flowing through the paper so quickly but the paper isn’t visibly that dirty...
Your issue is 900 gallons per hour it’s way too much clear needs to change their info on this filter because they are obviously wrong on its capacity I was having the same issue. I have a 300 gallon system with two clear sevens and if I push more than 1000 gallons through them that’s 500 each I end up with the same issue after speaking with them they told me to turn my flow down and I questioned the same thing but your brochure says 1200 or 1400 gallons each and then they tried giving me some excuse about how if I turn it down it’ll work better and I should be not running that much flow through my tank anyways.

Last edited:

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long are you all getting out of a 7” roll? For some reason my paper is clogging faster than it should. I have bypassed the controller and use the apex to roll it a few seconds every hour. (Because the factory sensor was eating up rolls too fast). Each time it rolls the water level drops about 1/4” in the sock tray and within 10 minutes it’s full and overflowing the top of the tray again. I have played around with the timing and the tray still fills up too quickly. The used paper isn’t nearly as dirty as what I’m seeing in your all’s photos. Each roll is only lasting me a couple of weeks and that’s with the sock tray overflowing a large majority of the time. I have opened up the “bypass” in the other sock holder slightly but then most of the water goes that way and I don’t catch all of the detritus and it ends up collecting in my fuge. What is going on? I am trying to flow about 900gph through it but it doesn’t seem to be able to handle it. Is the 50 micron paper too restrictive? Currently only 10 fish in a relatively new 340 gallon system.
Also maybe your system is just that dirty with sand blowing around or something like that being a new system I think I remember going through a lot of filter the first month or two also

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

To much flow for 1 klir

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

your problem will be solved by adding a second klir then you can run your thousand gallons per hour put it in that second spot with the diverter valve

image.jpg

Mike Jenkins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your problem will be solved by adding a second klir then you can run your thousand gallons per hour put it in that second spot with the diverter valve

image.jpg
Dang that sucks. It’s listed at up to 1800GPH. I’m only pushing 2.5x turnover for my system, don’t really want to go less. Sand’s def not the issue as its BB. It ran fine the first month with fish/moderate feeding/no lights. The problems started when I added 2nd round of fish, started dosingMicrobacter7/Biofuel and turned the lights on.. I guess I can stop dosing the bacteria for a couple of weeks to see if it’s maybe bacteria slime clogging it. I’m not opposed to running 2 Klir filters but I’m not sure I’ll be able to get it in the way I have to maneuver the first one under the stand into the sump. I don’t think I’ll have room to maneuver the 2nd.

thom_smith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What has your experience been with the Icecap sump? I have a 36XL. Pushing approximately 1100gph and finding my filter sock chamber appears to be backing up such that there is approximately 1 1/2" difference in water level between the filter sock chamber and the skimmer chamber. With the cutout between the chambers being at the bottom, I would expect the levels to equalize. Wondering if I am pushing too much flow through the sump or if there is a suggested mod I missed.

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am going to try the Compact Roller Mat in my SCA 150 Mixed reef tank that I am currently working on.
I just got a new CL-44 Synergy sump and just trying to figure out if the Compact Roller mat, Flir or the Calrisea 5000 one will work the best for my setup.

Attachments

• Synergy Sump Plumbing.jpg
    Synergy Sump Plumbing.jpg
    483.5 KB · Views: 62

bluerider098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone any thoughts/tips/suggestions on the noise in my Waterbox Marine X 60.2 sump?

Try raising the water level in your sump. Turn your pumps off and let your sump fill up. Then add water to the sump until you are 1 or 2 inches from the top. Then turn your pump back on. This will be your max water level in your sump. It should help with the noise.

Keep in mind that if you change the return nozzles in your tank this water level may be affected. Also raising the water level may cause you to have to readjust your skimmer and ATO if you have them.

Good luck.

bluerider098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should also have the water level sensor on the opposite side of the incoming water in possible. This will help prevent unnecessary roll advancement due to turbulent water.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should also have the water level sensor on the opposite side of the incoming water in possible. This will help prevent unnecessary roll advancement due to turbulent water.
I have mine facing the incoming water with no issues. I agree that this certainly can be an issue however! Sometimes facing it a different way isn't optimal for removal of the unit for maintenance and changing rolls etc. I combated this by extending the drain lines from the overflow below the water level from the underside of the sump bulkhead. I'm pushing around a 1,000 gph through two of them and the water in the incoming chamber is smooth and calm.

PinkReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were you able to solve your issue?
I havent. i can see there is a slight difference when there is more tension on the roller. I think the problem lies in that (with no way to fix that) - i havent raised my water levels yet, as it will cause me issues in other areas . it's still something i can try as a last resort before removing it.

I've read someone who glued a mesh on the support structure, which i guess would keep the fleece better in place, but thats a irreversible mod i guess.

bluerider098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent. i can see there is a slight difference when there is more tension on the roller. I think the problem lies in that (with no way to fix that) - i havent raised my water levels yet, as it will cause me issues in other areas . it's still something i can try as a last resort before removing it.

I've read someone who glued a mesh on the support structure, which i guess would keep the fleece better in place, but thats a irreversible mod i guess.
I hope you figure itout. I run mine completely submerged in my Waterbox 55.2 and it is silent.

Good luck.
20210511_204153.jpg
20210501_224325.jpg

Beatslacker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This product has been one of the worst experiences I've had with equipment in this hobby. literally everything that can go wrong with this thing has. even think they gave me one of those fleece rolls from that bad batch because every single time it rolls new Fleece it causes my skimmer to explosively overflow with bubbles to the point it almost filled my whole cabinet with bubbles once, and it takes 2 days for the skimmer to work properly again. its getting progressively worse as well with the "bubble episodes" having a more explosive reaction each time. I didn't have any of these issues before I put it in, and I have to say this whole experience has made me pretty bitter with fleece rollers in general. what's even more concerning is this is the gen 2 model. sad to say but this product did more harm than good in my system. last a week in my system before I had to remove it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back