Klir Filter Review.

Robertellis30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything coming down the road from a Red Sea attachment. That’s the only thing holding me back. Afraid to Mod the sump and mess something up.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To run two klir filters in series you use one controller only and one sensor only as well. You just get a “Y” cable to do so where you’ll plug the motors of both units into. When the water reaches the sensor it signals both motors to rotate in sync.

I ditched the controller and hooked mine up to my Aquatronica controller but I remember there being a second port on the Klir controller. I think I remember that it said that other port was for either the motor or the sensor on the secondary unit.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let us replace that for you! Email [email protected] and cc me [email protected]. You are well within the warranty period. Could you provide photos for reference?
Ok here are the Pictures
BTW the Klir DI-4 works great, I think if I had just added some Silicone Grease from day one and this minor issue would not have happened. It has had zero effect on the unit and could probably be polished off with a Dremel polishing pad.

Klir Shaft.jpg

shaftmagni.jpg

You can see the Grease that I put on it to stop further rusting.

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone think that Klir filter are going to discounted they are running a huge sale on coralvue.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks great but I am trying to figure out why you have the dry area in the middle while the top area has what looks like 1" of water?
Thats how the Klir works. Water comes down my overflow and spills out into that top section and pours down the openings in the Klir. As the filter clogs the water level rises. Once it reaches the sensor eye on the Klir it advances the roll and the water level falls. Its brilliant!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I like the unit but it does not fit many sump openings without mod

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats how the Klir works. Water comes down my overflow and spills out into that top section and pours down the openings in the Klir. As the filter clogs the water level rises. Once it reaches the sensor eye on the Klir it advances the roll and the water level falls. Its brilliant!
Yes I know, I have had one for about 6 months. I get the fact that your second baffle opening is low down in the water line but doesn't that put a tremendous amount of strain on the floss when it is literally holding in 80% of the water against air and then has to be pulled? The lower part of my floss is completely submerged, I am wondering if that is why I have never had the floss break.
BTW I like your setup a lot, it's just that it looks so different than mine.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes I know, I have had one for about 6 months. I get the fact that your second baffle opening is low down in the water line but doesn't that put a tremendous amount of strain on the floss when it is literally holding in 80% of the water against air and then has to be pulled? The lower part of my floss is completely submerged, I am wondering if that is why I have never had the floss break.
BTW I like your setup a lot, it's just that it looks so different than mine.

can i see a photo of yours? Im actually going to raise my water level in my skimmer section when i make fresh saltwater...

RyanHoan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

No matter what I do, I can’t make my klir fit perfectly into my sump’s filter sock holes. There’s always water trickling down the sides :/

any suggestions on how to make it water tight?

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone , when installing a 2nd klir filter do they need to be installed side by side or can I skip a holder? Also is there any harm in running each of them on a separate power source instead of together ? Thank you

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you run multiple units on separate power sources, then that means you need separate controllers and separate optical sensors which would defeat the purpose of the units turning evenly.

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do they need to turn evenly ? Water is going to go to the one closest to the to the drain anyway therefor collecting more crap then the one sitting further down the line no? If that's the case why would i want them both to turn the same time wouldn't i be wasting clean fleece on the other one ? Just like all filter socks don't all collect the same amount of dirt when all placed in the same sock tray in line.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I would think that you want one unit to clog and then the other to do the same thus raising the water level to trigger the sensor for both units to turn and lower the water level.
If each were it's separate unit then the 1st unit would run it's fleece considerably more than the 2nd unit IMO and might even render the 2nd unit from advancing it's roll at all thus negating it's purpose.
Just my opinion on how I see it.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back