Know of any USB-controlled power outlets?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mds5000
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

mds5000

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 13, 2019
Messages
9
Reaction score
25
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone use or know of a USB-controlled power outlet, specifically one with power monitoring? I've found http://www.pwrusb.com/index.html which might work, but doesn't have the power monitoring. There's loads of wifi-ones available, but I don't trust wifi to control tank equipment (unless perhaps you know of a wifi module thats hackable to run your own firmware).

I have my own controller (based on rasbperry pi, though not reef-pi) and I'd like to get Apex style power monitoring. Was planning on adding a USB device (I'd like it to be modular, so wasn't looking using GPIO directly). Seems like the type of problem someone would have solved before.
 
Do you want per outlet or just aggregate for the strip? Is current enough or true power/apparent power needed?
 
Per outlet control, and just current sense is probably fine. Looking to detect when return pump needs to be cleaned.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new